HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:02 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
I decided to take a picture of the two FlyFly fast foam cousins next to each other ...

The F-86 Sabre has been down for a fan upgrade ... The mechanics are really taking their time on this one.

That F86 is really a looker

What setup are you going for?
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:52 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
Thanks It was lot of work to get it to that stage ...

I am putting a WeMoTec MidiFan in it with a Het 650 motor, before I had a Neu 1515 with WeMo rotor in a Haoye shroud.

But the rotor came loose on takeoff &#@%$&* , I think I either forgot the loctite or, more plausibly, did not use the hi temp loctite ...
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:14 AM
Joined Aug 2006
81 Posts
Herb

How did you finish the sabre ? Glass and paint or covering?
Jets:) is offline Find More Posts by Jets:)
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:09 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
Hi, look at my blog, you will find all the gory details

The eps foam was filled, sanded, fiberglassed, primed and painted with tamiya acrylics. The metallic parts are Monokote sticky back sheets, cut and applied in panels. Most of the decals are cut in Monokote too.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:06 AM
Sunshine Coast
Joined Apr 2010
43 Posts
Hi Herb. Please just a quick question and probably sounds very simple and easy for you to answer... With your not full flying stabiliser technique. The normal way a RC plane is setup with the fixed stabiliser and servo moving the elevator... Usually on setup of all my planes the elevator is attached once fuse is complete and wings and attached. This way you can measure the exact same distance between wing and elevator... When did you attached the elevator?? was it after you had joined the fuse together?? This would make sence, but how did you wire in the servo wires through the glued full fuse, being that the wiring has to go to the front, where the reciever sits....It would seem very hard to wire in and attach the wires to the sides of the fuse once it is glued.....Many thanks
jetspeeds is offline Find More Posts by jetspeeds
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:52 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
Hi Jet,

You can trial-fit, glue and adjust everything before you glue the two fuse halves together.

In my case I held the two fuse halves together with masking tape, note how it is wrapped "inside-out" so it does not pull the paint off (sticky side faces out).

This way you can take your time to mount the elevators aligned correctly, later you open the fuse up again
and take care of the wiring etc.

Hope this answers your question

Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:31 PM
Sunshine Coast
Joined Apr 2010
43 Posts
I have been thinking more about your answer and thought that your suggested method was the only way....Thanks very much for the help.....
Awesome thanks
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:02 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
Herb whats the auw on your t45 , I cant decide on this or the flyfly l39 , I have another complete cs12 blade 6s set up from xflight laying around and cant decide which one to get I think the L39 is a little lighter and less draggy so it should fly faster what do you think ?
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:53 AM
Sunshine Coast
Joined Apr 2010
43 Posts
I have just recieved my retracts for Bae Hawk, but to my surprise, the nose retract is operating opposite to the mains. Mains go down, while the nose gear goes up !!!. How would I fix this problem so that the nose and main retracts all work the same way.....
Most appreciated in an answer
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:44 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
Rush, can't remember weight on mine, maybe 7.2 lbs? Posted up there somewhere?

L-39 or Hawk, you can't go wrong. Just keep the airframe LIGHT

JS, try checking / reversing the red/black leads on the nosegear?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:48 PM
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
Name: Mirage 2000 finished.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 172.8 KB
Description:
Herb I ended up putting the cs fan in a flyfly mirage I figured for a 6s set up it was the most bang for the buck , I did the jepe intake mod made a fan hatch so I could remove the edf, e flight retracts and necked the tail cone down to 75mm the verticals are great and slows down nice for landings , Now I'm going back over your hawk thread and think it will be my next build.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:07 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
Hi Rush,

Glad to hear everything went well ... what motor are you running on the CS 12bl fan on 6S ? This guy could use your input :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1702
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:43 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
Still enjoying my Hawk ... surprisingly it did not disintegrate in flight yet

Took the picture below last Saturday, late in the (winter) afternoon, waiting for the 3 4000mAh batts to recharge.

Another guy had the (blue) Hawk at the field as well, his caught fire after he landed, I think he is using that FF stock fan, and his HK esc lit up. The smoke was pretty spectacular.

Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:04 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
It is amazing how many of these FlyFly / HTG / JePe fast foam edf jets have been converted to turbine :

http://www.jepejets.com/blog/?p=273#more-273

I guess this clearly attests to the good qualities of the airframe design

Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
I think this is going to be my next bird , I'm thinking of playing around with the new one piece 12 blade landers blade in a C.S. housing and a het motor on 3300 mah 8s and doing the elevators the same way you did them , Ive never liked the way they do that full flying elevator on my F100 its so slow its no big deal but with the T45 I think I'm asking for big trouble .