HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:28 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Ouch The Hawk does need some work to stay together. I think epo is a bit better.

I still wonder how come my Hawk has not yet completely disintegrated in midair

Small FlyFly EDF fleet at the field yesterday :

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Sep 03, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:39 AM
Sunshine Coast
Joined Apr 2010
43 Posts
Thanks very much for all the info on this great plane. I too have stubbled over a old fly fly Bae Hawk. I was going to install a HET 650-68-2100 motor with a 90mm ALLOY WEMOTEC fan 6 cell setup, 100 Amp planium ESC. Which should pull appro 2200 watts and about 3.5kg of thrust. With this setup, I was thinking of a hand launch ??? Any thoughts.

I have had very little experience with retracts, only really buy fixed landing gear on Katana's and aerobatic type planes. Although had some jet that have only belly landed.

By the time a put all the gear in. I would expect to have a 2.5 + KG weight. If I install retracts I would be up to about the 3.5 kg mark. And would rather have less weight and a little more power, or flight time with more gentle flying.

I have also read regarding the stab to be glued and then with regular elevator throws rather than the full movement of the elevator. I was looking forward to have a ful swing elevator. Is there any way to strengthen this installation.... Has any one seen the fluttering that the elevator would do if using the full swing ????

I also wish the manual that was attached earlier in the thread (PDF file) was in english !!!
Great review though
jetspeeds is offline Find More Posts by jetspeeds
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:21 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
Herb you left the field too soon today!
Longs blue hawk took off , did a couple laps, suddenly half the wing ripped off and then the ensuing corkscrew into the ground from 100ft up.
Nose broken/chewed up back to the intakes. We gathered up all the pieces, Looks fixable.
Wing broke where it meets the fuselage side. He didn't have a spar in it.
Bruce
That is bad luck - she looked pretty good.
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:17 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeeds View Post
.... I was going to install a HET 650-68-2100 motor with a 90mm ALLOY WEMOTEC fan 6 cell setup, 100 Amp planium ESC. Which should pull appro 2200 watts and about 3.5kg of thrust. ...
That sounds like a good fan setup, it should fly fine. An 8S setup with about the same power would give slightly lower amps but would work as well, see the JePe 8S setup web page http://www.jepe.org/jepeshop/23-fan-units

I don't see how retracts would add 1kg (2 lbs), at most 10 oz or so (300g). The FlyFly electric retracts I am using are a bit flimsy but fit right in and work. They weigh 130g w/out wheels and struts. The weight of retracts is completely negligible in the Hawk.

Jepe also sells a retract setup for the Hawk which seems more sturdy than the one I have ... It's mostly inexpensive HK products - see below http://www.jepe.org/jepeshop/129-ele...size-upto-4-kg

You can try to install the FF elevator on the Hawk, but many have fluttered off and totalled the plane. I was not going to take that risk on mine, I know how strong FF elevators have to be built to stand up (I have several in composite airframes, eg F-16, the stab mounts are massive).

Yes you could handlaunch this monster ... but why ? The risk of trashing it is high, there's nowhere to grab this styrofoam thing, and takeoffs and landing look cool.

I could not attach the English manual as the .pdf was over the limit. Here it is : http://www.hobbytopgun.com/services

Hope this helps HWH

Last edited by Herb; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:23 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham d View Post
That is bad luck - she looked pretty good.
Bad luck maybe, but he did not reinforce the wing at all, nevertheless he added more power. The wing folded on the second flight.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:03 PM
Sunshine Coast
Joined Apr 2010
43 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply. I probably really onl;y wanted to go 6s, as my charger only allows max 6cell batteries to be charged. And did not want to by another charger as of yet. Plus would probably need another ESC as the 100A would be to little if running 8cell. But you never know.....later. If running 8cell then I would not hesitiate on retracts. I have just seen so many fly fly models being run on 5cell packs, which they go go slow and with all the $$ invested you may aswell not bother....waste of time. Not really wanting to fly a lemon that runs slow. Even if the landing are cool, which I know they would be...... You can grab the plane very well under the belly where the retracts would sit. Very nice handles if you ask me !

Yes I know the 1kg for retracts was a little over. I realised after I had sent. But even still. If the plane comes in at 2.8kg before retracts then retracts. You would be looking at 3.1kg. And this would be probably one of those wastes of times......
Has any one weighed the plane if retracts were not fitted???
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:34 PM
Sunshine Coast
Joined Apr 2010
43 Posts
Herb. You mentioned about using the topgun retracts. They look good enough, although there is some talk they do not work with spectrum radios. Not sure why this would be. Are you using a spectrum radio??
Many thanks
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:52 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Hi as far as I know they work fine with Spektrum radios, Bruce has the same ones I have (I sold them to him) and he runs them on his HTP F-100 on a Dx-7. Maybe the guy did not know how to program endpoints

I have a Futaba 9-ch FASST radio with fasst receivers. Never had any problems with anything - except an assan door sequencer.

Retracts will add max 10oz, take my word for it The three mechanisms are 130g.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:18 AM
Sunshine Coast
Joined Apr 2010
43 Posts
Ok. I have dx6i only and the guy had one of these too. They should be ok .For $40 I really can not go wrong. Surely someone at the field can sort them out . And they look great too.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:34 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
There are a number of advantages of those (HTG) retracts (fit, light, price etc) but they are not the strongest. I suggest you order one or two spares in case ... that's what I did. I wrecked one (mains) when somehow it jammed, I think the strut bent a bit.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:42 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,848 Posts
We have 4 flying sites , only one is paved ,and its in a public park
and in closed alot for events , the others are grass and gravel road.
to help my hawk survive I built some give into the gear mounts
with 20+ flights and 3 very hard landing's still holding up .
very easy mod small springs allow for retract mounts to tilt back
30 degrees
pulsery2k1 is online now Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:10 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Yes that looks good, but I was referring to the lighter (yellow plastic) Hobbytopgun or FlyFly electric retracts...
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:41 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,848 Posts
Herb

my fix will work with Hobbytopgun or FlyFly electric retracts
have a set on my Fly Fly F-100 , with the same set up

I do like the nose steering on the fly fly electrics .
pulsery2k1 is online now Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Last edited by pulsery2k1; Sep 09, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:29 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Yes that looks good, but I was referring to the lighter (yellow plastic) Hobbytopgun or FlyFly electric retracts...
Herb,

How would you compare the flying characteristics between the composite 90mm t45 and the FLYFLY Hawk?

Graham
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:39 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Hi Pulser, great F-100 you have there ... there's several at my field and they fly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham d View Post
Herb,

How would you compare the flying characteristics between the composite 90mm t45 and the FLYFLY Hawk?

Graham
Hi Graham, here's my very personal opinion

Pros of FlyFly Hawk : Inexpensive, very light and therefore potentially very aerobatic, presence or size, great flier (very good wing design), easy to repaint, takeoffs on grass no problem, easy to build, everything fits well out of the box, many similar airframes to move the power system in, easy to work with since it's large, retracts and struts are cheap and fit right in with almost no mods, ideal edf jet to test different power system, plenty of space for batts etc.

Cons of FlyFly Hawk : Foam dents easily, this is a one-season semi-disposable airframe, the finish is foam so it's not shiny, deep ridges, it's big (draggy) so it needs quite a bit of power to fly jet-like, retracts and struts are a bit flimsy (depends on how you land), foam can be weak (possible structural issues).

Pros of CMP T-45 : Great scale-like looks, can be improved to a point where it looks really scale, including scale struts, cockpit with detonation cords, scale pilots, great decals and finish, wont'scratch easily, sleek design offers good speed (low drag), solid rigid wing and empennage, linkages are tight and solid, very little hangar rash, won't dent / crack easily when you put it in the car etc.

Cons of CMP T-45 : Heavy, high wing loading is ok for speed but not necessarily for aerobatics, risks of tipstalls on takeoffs, maneuvers & landings, small airframe with tight fits of everything, visibility issues since it's smaller, components are packed and crammed in fuse, fan is a tight fit, everything has to be laid out properly and trial fit otherwise things will not fit, lands harder on gear which needs to be stronger to take the punishment, might need asphalt runway etc.