Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Does anyone know how the Wh is to be computed? If itís based on actual charge since LiPos are shipped at half charge or less I donít see that it will be a big impact for most of us.
It won't be based on charge because they can't/won't test that. They also can't assume people are shipping them at half charge, it will likely be based on full capacity + a percentage to be in favor of safety.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 05:45 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Does anyone know how the Wh is to be computed? If itís based on actual charge since LiPos are shipped at half charge or less I donít see that it will be a big impact for most of us.
http://images.fedex.com/us/services/...ery_JobAid.pdf
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old May 30, 2012, 03:45 PM
LOWERRR!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Since Smartpost does a handoff to USPS for the final delivery I'm guessing no. I don't think there is any way to get them to an APO address now.
Would a Smartpost shipment fly out of the USA on a FedEx plane though? I would assume that it would, and then be handed off to USPS once it's nearer the final destination.

I have a package stuck somewhere already
MadMonkey572 is online now Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Old May 31, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey572 View Post
Would a Smartpost shipment fly out of the USA on a FedEx plane though? I would assume that it would, and then be handed off to USPS once it's nearer the final destination.

I have a package stuck somewhere already
Nope SmartPost is out:
Quote:
http://www.fastcompany.com/1836973/p...rtphone-laptop

Neither UPS, DHL, nor FedEx ships directly to APO, FPO, or DPO addresses. FedEx offers a service for military boxes, SmartPost, which is subject to the same restrictions. After May 16, mailing an iPad to a loved one serving overseas would require mailing it to a civilian address in the host country--which, for a country like Kuwait, would make the price jump from the current Military Priority Mail rate of $5.30 to more than $20.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:15 PM
Frontenac, KS
Joined Jan 2003
317 Posts
Does anyone know if a lipo pack categorized as ORM-D must be shipped in a separate box?
PatternFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PatternFlyer
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:05 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,303 Posts
As long as the Wh capacity is less than 100 itís ok to ship. You can always order several smaller packs and parallel or series them to get what you need.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,475 Posts
Wh is nomimal voltage of the pack x capacity in Amps.

2200 mah battery x 11.1V (3S) = 24.42 Wh.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,475 Posts
Since this ban has gone into effect, we ship our lipo's via Fed Ex for our international customers. For small lipo's, there is not much, if any price difference between Fed Ex and EMS. Delivery from the US to most countries has been 4 days. If the battery is small enough, we put it in a small cardboard box and then in a Fed Ex envelope. For such a small weight item in the Fed Ex envelope, we get Internation Priority Rates lower than International Economy rates. I do not know if that is the norm or if our Fed Ex contract gives us this. Larger batteries are still more expensive to ship through Fed Ex.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I don't frequent this forum much so I was unaware of this new restriction until today. I placed an order a couple days ago for a couple 800mAh 2S packs from HobbyPartz, and they sent me a message today informing me that they aren't able to ship them to me because of this restriction. The thing is, I'm in Alaska, and even though they claim they can no longer ship to Alaska or Hawaii, I see nothing in the actual regulation that prohibits this. As far as USPS is concerned, Domestic means all 50 States, plus Territories.

Am I wrong?
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:14 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
I don't frequent this forum much so I was unaware of this new restriction until today. I placed an order a couple days ago for a couple 800mAh 2S packs from HobbyPartz, and they sent me a message today informing me that they aren't able to ship them to me because of this restriction. The thing is, I'm in Alaska, and even though they claim they can no longer ship to Alaska or Hawaii, I see nothing in the actual regulation that prohibits this. As far as USPS is concerned, Domestic means all 50 States, plus Territories.

Am I wrong?
Its not really a new restriction.USPS has not allowed anything dangerous for quite some time.Probably as long as I can remember.At least since '81.They are making a stand because it has become obvious that the rules are not being followed.You can still get them shipped UPS or FedEx if the package is labeled "Lithium Ion cells". Im pretty sure that for the most part that is not being complied with either.In the case of USPS their logistics simply cant handle it.Alot of mail is subcontracted as cargo on commercial airliners.See the problem? They have trouble simply getting mail and packages to where they belong much less deal with special handling procedures.You really dont want LiPo batteries stuffed in the cargo area with lots of other boxes and burnable stuff piled on top of them.At least not in the airplane your riding in.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I guess my point is, unless I completely misread the regulation, the restriction is mor international shipping hand really has nothing to do with air transport. It even states that batteries within the right amounts are shop panel via air. The FAA allows them as carry-on and with some more restrictions in checked baggage.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,205 Posts
As long as it's not going to a fpo, apo, dpo I don't see why they couldn't ship to Alaska under the rules.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:23 PM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,754 Posts
I will look again, but I believe we can ship 3 batteries to Alaska via USPS. However more then 3 have to go by UPS or FedEx. This is being complied with by many companies as the fine is a federal offense. This is also new as it was but in effect about 1 month ago. If you ship any of these carriers the box most have a Li-ion label marked with a telephone number to call and do not load on plane if box is damaged. UPS and FEDex also have additional requirements.

I will check that Alaska issue tomorrow.
Mark
2dogrc
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,205 Posts
That's true there is quantity limits on domestic. The op didn't say exactly how many he ordered.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:48 PM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,754 Posts
Hello,
I re read the USPS rules and it just prohibited internationally. So you can ship up to 3 batteries via USPS to Alaska.

Here is the code again:

General. The following additional restrictions apply to the mailability of all secondary (rechargeable) lithium-ion cells and batteries:
The lithium content must not exceed 20 Wh (Watt-hour rating) per cell.
The total aggregate lithium content must not exceed 100 Wh per battery.
Each cell or battery must meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, part III, and subsection 38.3 as referenced in DOT’s hazardous materials regulation at 49 CFR 171.7.
The mailpiece must not contain more than three batteries.
All outer packages must have a complete delivery and return address.

2dogrc
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV