HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,356 Posts
Alert
New USPS Lithium Restrictions

USPS will no longer export lithium batteries from the US. For most that's going the wrong direction, but for anyone who sends batteries over seas to friends or family this could impact them. Sounds like importing and domestic mail are unaffected for now.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulleti...l/updt_004.htm

Also applies to APO, FPO, or DPO so may affect some of those in the military.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Last edited by grimbeaver; May 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,356 Posts
Though looks as though even domestically may affect us:

1. The lithium content must not exceed 20 Wh (Watt-hour rating) per cell.
2. The total aggregate lithium content must not exceed 100 Wh per battery.

1. The secondary lithium cells and batteries must be mailed in “the originally sealed packaging” and no more than three batteries.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:05 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,259 Posts
Damn. That is certainly going to be a problem for us here in Canada.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old May 11, 2012, 10:14 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Damn. That is certainly going to be a problem for us here in Canada.
Oh ya suppose quite a few people import batteries from US to Canada.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:35 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Seems to me this will makes things easier for some . No longer will one need to decide if it is worth the effort to ship a defective Lipoly back to HK. Now it will impossible within the law so just order extras and toss the bad ones.

Remember every cloud has a silver lining .

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; May 11, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 04:37 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Though looks as though even domestically may affect us:

1. The lithium content must not exceed 20 Wh (Watt-hour rating) per cell.
2. The total aggregate lithium content must not exceed 100 Wh per battery.

1. The secondary lithium cells and batteries must be mailed in “the originally sealed packaging” and no more than three batteries.
The 20 Wh per cell rating means that the largest capacity cell would be about 4750 mahr at 4.2 volts, and the 100 Wh rating means no more than a 5 cell pack at that 4750 mahr rating. Higher cell counts can be shipped at lower mahr capacities.

Of course “the originally sealed packaging” would be a problem if trying to send a battery to a buddy.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old May 11, 2012, 07:12 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
Quote:
seems to me this will makes things easier for some . No longer will one need to decide if it is worth the effort to ship a defective lipoly back to hk. Now it will impossible within the law so just order extras and toss the bad ones.

Charles
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old May 11, 2012, 07:39 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,489 Posts
Doesn't this just mean the shipper has to avoid using the postal service and will use Fedex ground or something similar?

I sold a few things lately and USPS was no better in price than UPS ground.

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old May 12, 2012, 06:14 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
I believe the watt-hour (Wh) rating is based off of the nominal voltage.

20 Wh ÷ 3.7V = 5405mAh largest cell

With a per battery capacity of 5405mAh for 5S, and 4505mAh for 6S.
typeRA is online now Find More Posts by typeRA
Old May 13, 2012, 04:19 PM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Seems to me this will makes things easier for some . No longer will one need to decide if it is worth the effort to ship a defective Lipoly back to HK. Now it will impossible within the law so just order extras and toss the bad ones.

Charles
Okay,

10.20.7 Damaged or Recalled Batteries
Damaged or recalled batteries are prohibited from mailing unless approved by the manager, Product Classification.

Got this from the USPS website. http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm. Please DO NOT MAIL BACK DAMAGED OR RECALLED BATTERIES!!!

No need to say more, if Hobby King asks you to mail back a defective battery and you do, you are breaking the LAW!

Mark
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV
Old May 14, 2012, 02:17 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
Although the USPS Website does not state this directly, my understanding is that even a LiPo not installed in an electronic device (i.e. a laptop computer) mailed to the U.S. will be subject to this restriction if sent aboard a U.S. registered carrier.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old May 14, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Frolik View Post
Although the USPS Website does not state this directly, my understanding is that even a LiPo not installed in an electronic device (i.e. a laptop computer) mailed to the U.S. will be subject to this restriction if sent aboard a U.S. registered carrier.
This has already been in place for sometime now. The part that people seem to forget is that a li-ion cell, wether our kinds of cells or a laptop or cellphone battery are all the same. So the regulations covers all lithium ion cells and to be clear, lihtium polymer falls under lithium ion. Only lithium metal has other restrictions as primary lithium cells (non-rechargable) has additional restrictions.

The bottom line is that for any international shipping from the US to another country, only Fed Ex is the option, maybe DHL. Incoming shipments, only Fed Ex and DHL will ship lithium batteries. With the new rules going into effect in January with limiting the Wh per box, shipping larger lithium batteries is going to get expensive.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old May 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post

Charles
I think you can somehow deliver defective ones back to the american warehouse for warranty now no matter from where purchased in their empire. Not positive but read it somewhere. Sounds like using the general mails for this is no longer allowed now though.

My concern as always is watching for a general overall total restriction for these batteries new or otherwise in the mails worldwide. Then all optional transportation sources may bill for hazzardous goods is another concern. Hopefully neither occurs but that may be jus t wishful thinking at some point.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Old May 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Duplicate sorry.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Last edited by barry wilson; May 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 04:31 PM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,761 Posts
You can not mail defective batteries anywhere! This is a federal regulation. It is in IATA regulations,USPS regulations, UPS regulations and Fed Ex regulations.

Mark
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV