SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by peterswolf, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:42 AM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Apr 2012
882 Posts
Build Log
HobbyZone Champ (20.3")

My first plane, a gift from my Dad for Christmas 2011. You can find these on Amazon.com with free shipping for $89.99. Perfect first plane.
peterswolf is online now Find More Posts by peterswolf
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by peterswolf; May 27, 2014 at 07:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2014, 07:30 AM
Joined Apr 2012
882 Posts
Originally Posted 05/10/2012

Had the Champ flying around for about 15 minutes (I have two 30 min batteries for it) and suddenly it started diving towards the earth, slightly to the right, it flops down fairly soft on itís noseÖ After inspecting it the tail (which has been repaired more times than I can count) had become loose from the airframe and was ripped a bit. Iím sure it had nothing to do with the airspeed dive I did earlier in the flight hehehe. So back home I goÖ I luckily had a complete champ tail set at home so I was able to install a brand new vertical stabilizer in very little time, looks 100% better now, perfect.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2014, 09:11 AM
Joined Apr 2012
882 Posts
So, I passed along this little guy to someone else to have for some indoor flying fun over the past winter, but I managed to get myself a replacement Champ from someone here on RCG. It was upgraded to brushless and AS3X. It's a great little plane!!! I can take it out to the field as backup for when we get nasty crosswinds. When I don't really want to fight the crosswind with my larger planes, I just toss this one up in the air no problem. I've had it in 10mph winds with no issue at all. Loads of fun!!! If you are looking for a project and have a 1S champ laying around, find someone's old UMX Beast 3D AS3X brick and motor, and do an upgrade!
RCG Plus Member