HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 01:14 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,445 Posts
Discussion
Hawksky Hand Launchers

I have Hawksky can it can be quite a handful to hand launch, it sinks very close to hitting the ground before it starts flying. About 20% it does hit the ground I have tried different styles full power, 3/4 power, nose level and nose up. So if someone has worked out the answer I would to hear it.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 01:27 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Here's what works for me, with type 2 transmitter (left throttle stick)

- hold plane in left hand, just under wing
- use nose to push throttle to 3/4 (even more with stock motor)
- slight elevator up
- throw straight and level

climb out gently, not too steep.

this works for me, hope it helps!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old May 11, 2012, 03:07 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,445 Posts
Thanks for your reply my Tx is mode 1 and to make matters worse I am left handed so the elevator stick hand is holding the plane. I am thinking of swapping hands so I can give elevator input straight away. By slight elevator how much up to you mean 1/4. 1/3 or 1/2 stick movement?
Old May 11, 2012, 06:47 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
put a couple of clicks up elevator trim and launch then couple clicks back when flying..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old May 17, 2012, 09:39 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
Here's what works for me, with type 2 transmitter (left throttle stick)

- hold plane in left hand, just under wing
- use nose to push throttle to 3/4 (even more with stock motor)
- slight elevator up
- throw straight and level

climb out gently, not too steep.

this works for me, hope it helps!
Thanks for your tip I now launch from my right hand which feels weird as a leftie but now I can control the elevator (mode 1) and the amount of elevator appears quite critial. not enough or too much and it sinks to the ground but just the right amount and it leaves my almost straight and level.

Thanks heaps.
Keith
Old May 17, 2012, 09:55 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Keith you can also practice throwing a ball of some sort a few times. It will become more natural. I had an issue playing baseball (also a lefty) all my teammates were righties, when I'd borrow a glove it was for a rightie after using it for a few practices throwing right handed felt as natural as left.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old May 18, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
I have a Wild Hawk (basically same thing), and had a similar problem for awhile when I first got it. I would hand-launch it, and it would sink pretty low quickly to the ground, pick up speed, and then take off. I had a few times where it did actually belly onto the ground first before taking off.

The key to figuring out what's wrong, and how to correct it, is to try to see HOW the plane looks as it descends to the ground. If it appears to nose-down towards the ground, it is probably an issue with the elevator trimmed too far down, causing the wind to catch it and tip it downward. If it's pointing up, it could be an issue with the elevator trimmed up too high, causing the wind to pull it up at too slow of a speed, stalling it, and losing elevation.

In my case, it was due to the fact that I just wasn't hand-launching it fast enough. I was relying too much on the plane itself gathering its own speed to the point of flying. This was my pitfall. By launching it at a faster speed (above stall-speed), it didn't drop any, and simply climbed out of my hand during launch, straight into the air! Once I realized this, I made sure every time that I hand-launched it, that it was at that speed or greater. Since that point, I've had no problems!

As an addition to the above, make sure you always launch it into the wind. If you have wind, and launch it into it, your effective wind speed is greater than the ground-speed. Your plane doesn't care about ground-speed, as it's the speed with the wind that affects its flight characteristics. So if your plane stalls at, say 15 mph, and the wind is blowing at you at 10 mph, you only need to launch it at an effective ground speed of 5 mph to maintain lift. But if you turn around and launch it with the wind (in the same direction), you will now need to launch it at 25 mph to gain lift! Of course, this also means that if you attempt to go fly when there's absolutely zero wind outside, while you no longer have to worry about finding the wind direction, maintaining speed above stall-speed during gaps in wind, etc, you will have to make extra sure that you launch it at the higher speed to keep it afloat. If you're used to launching it at 5 mph into 10 mph winds, you'll now need to launch it at 15 mph, three times what you're used to, to keep it in the air!
kenzietech is offline Find More Posts by kenzietech