SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2012, 02:57 PM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Discussion
A very bad day, check out my face! Video...

Hello All,

(First of let me say that this was NOT a Hoverfly issue, my y6 went into fail safe while i was leaning over it. )

So pretty much like everyone else that is trying to solve the yaw/unstable problem, i was doing some testing yesterday. After a one minute flight of short throttle burst and seeing it yaw on its own, I landed and walked up to the copter to move a loose servo on the camera mount.

I put the controller on the ground and was leaning over the copter moving the wire when all of a sudden the copter throttled up and flew in right up in my face.

I covered the left side of my head and neck and could see the blood immediately start flowing. I ran back to the house where I my roommates were and said "I need help" and walked to sink. I moved my hand away and my roommate said "Oh " I splashed some water on my head to wash some of the blood away and a piece of the 13x6.5 apc prop was stuck in the side of my face So i splashed some water on it and it fell out.

It ended up slicing the left side of my face and my left leg. As you can see from the photos, the slice on my face is a pretty good one. The plastic surgeon said it was amazing that i didnt cut the nerve even though it went all the way to the bone.

Between my leg, face, and ear, i think there is around 30 stitches..

I do have to thank GOD for it not being much worse. It could of sliced my eyes or even my neck.

Lesson learned - Always disarm

I fixed the broken props this morning and did another test flight and im still having the same yaw problem

wac

Face Cut Apple TV 2nd Gen (0 min 47 sec)
wac is offline Find More Posts by wac
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 03:22 PM
Hoverfly Technologies
United States, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Nov 2011
141 Posts
Ouch! I'm very sorry to see this, Bill. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Hopefully this will serve to remind other pilots (newbies and veterans alike) just how important it is to observe safety precautions, no matter how well you know your craft!
hoverben is offline Find More Posts by hoverben
Old May 10, 2012, 04:36 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
god..... the pictures were bad enough.... the video uggg!

hope you heal quick. thanks for the reminder to stay safe!
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 10, 2012, 08:12 PM
Air Traffic Controller
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Aug 2011
250 Posts
Get better soon wac. Looking at that turned my stomach. Glad to see the much worse didn't happen. I will be sure to ALWAYS disarm.
Webheadfred is offline Find More Posts by Webheadfred
Old May 10, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
always dis-arm and unplug power....you could have died if you cut your jugular...every one remember this!!!!
h2ohsng is offline Find More Posts by h2ohsng
Old May 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
Espaņa, EX, Badajoz
Joined Nov 2011
5 Posts
I hope he recovers soon, I recently experienced a situation similar to yours.
Cheers and get well soon

PD: excuse me for my english.
Antonio_Guisado is offline Find More Posts by Antonio_Guisado
Old May 11, 2012, 09:22 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
615 Posts
Thanks for swallowing your pride and putting this out there, wac. It benefits us all, BIG TIME.
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Current Folding Quad Project
Old May 14, 2012, 03:07 PM
Canada, NL, St John's
Joined Sep 2011
233 Posts
Yikes ...

... I had a Yaw issue with my HoverflyPro board, that I couldn't resolve. It ended up being one of the motor mounts were tilted just enough to send it in circles.
Razzil is online now Find More Posts by Razzil
Old May 14, 2012, 05:52 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,712 Posts
uggghhh... That makes me want to give up multi rotors right there! OUCH! Sorry that happened to you. I know I saw one to many gruesome videos/photos with large RC Helis and now I no longer fly those. I'm such a wuss...
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old May 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
Holy F***
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
Old May 17, 2012, 10:52 AM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
Joined Dec 2008
1,458 Posts
you still lucky to not losing a eye ball ! this is a good lesson for all me too i was lucky its was in my kitchen table i just enougth time to remove my head and the quad lift up so fast in the celling it was a very scary moment
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou
Old May 17, 2012, 01:11 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,712 Posts
I've got 4 holes in my ceiling from when I tried to calibrate the ESCs on my first quad, a gaui 330x. I had the props on, dumb, and they didn't go into calibrate mode they went full throttle and it pegged itself to the ceiling, YIKES! I was lucky that day. Nothing happened to me.

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old May 17, 2012, 07:46 PM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
650 Posts
I've had really lucky breaks like that as well and it could have went sooooo wrong.
ross_badger is offline Find More Posts by ross_badger