HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 10, 2012, 01:15 PM
Mascot
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Apr 1996
140 Posts
Discussion
Over 1.6 Million Threads!

You can't stop the threads on RCG! They just keep growing and growing. I feel like I was just blogging about how we had over 1.5 million threads the other day. I noticed that we have already blown past 1.6 million threads! That is a lot of RC related tech information, videos, photos, fun and fellowship in one place! Thanks to all our users who create the content that makes RCGroups.com great!
Terry is offline Find More Posts by Terry
Administrator
Last edited by Terry; May 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined May 2012
20 Posts
I would like to find a few things out.

Up until the mid-80's, I flew RC models, some flying wings, and others of varying kinds including some scale(more like stand way off and squint your eyes scale). Then Life in the form of getting married, scrambling to keep working, and making babies got in the way, and I had to hang things up. At that time, electric motors were just starting to be offered for sale, but I wasn't very impressed, because they ate battery packs, and were generally clunky.

Well, I'm once more married(divorce happened back then, and everything got lost in the shuffle and various moves), and my wife asked me if I wanted to get a hobby started to keep me busy and out of her hair. Well, I'm getting back into RC, among other things, and have found that those rather clunky electric motors have gone on major diets, and I discovered something called "brushless electric motors". I found a couple on Ebay, one a single until, which was very nice, and one which intrigued me from the moment I saw the picture of it. It is a contra-prop motor. After I got it, I found that it was two motors, one spinning a prop shaft through the other. And it isn't very big, having a pair of 3 blade 7 inch props.

I didn't get a spec sheet with this, and had asked the seller frequently to send me one(the seller is in Hong Kong), and after a while I gave up. both motors have a length of around 2 1/2 inches, and the diameter is just under an inch. There are a couple birds I'd like to put this in, a Fairey Gannet and a Westland Wyvern.

My question is, how do I determine what size of battery pack I use, and then there is the question of polarity. Also, and this is new to me as well, what kind of speed controller would I use, as back then there were only two speeds for electric motors, off and on, with no inbetween.

As I'm not really into scale competitions; I'd just prefer to build and have fun flying, as I have a piece of property of my own that I can fly out of(62 acres of mixed woods and pastureland), but since it's been a while, while I build either the Gannet or the Wyvern, I'll also be getting a basic trainer to help me re-learn my "flying muscles", which would probably be one of those practically indestructible foam flyers.

Anywho, I am also getting back into aviation history, and have been looking all over the place for data on as many flying machines of the past as I can, and have been amassing a bit. If there is anyone who would like some information on a particular bird, ask and I'll see if I have something you could use, or would try to find out more.

Take care.

Max M. Will
maxwill is offline Find More Posts by maxwill