SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 14, 2012, 09:09 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Personally I have used Sky Lipos and Blue Lipos from HobbyPartz. Both are junk. Out of the 10 combined in various sizes that I bought in the last 18 months, only one 2200 3s still works and I only get about 4:30 mins with it sport flying. I recommend in this order:
1) Gen Ace
2) Nano-techs
3) Turnigy
4) Zippy (got one with a cold solder joint that would cause a connection break error on the charger. Fixed myself)
Wow, you got 18 months out of a battery I've tried GensAce,BlueLipo, Skylipo, and the Turnigy. All ok batteries except the SkyLipo that seems to get 30% less flight time. I have some that are getting close to a year but I don't expect much more from them.
Oh yeah, I've heard that GensAce are Thunder Power w/o a warranty?
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,026 Posts
i would like to know what you guys are doing to kill these packs in a short time . i still have my max amp , tenergy (batteryspace pack) and a lot of blue lipos , and hobbyking packs . maxamps and tenengy packs are from 2007 and still ballance charging fine .
the only thing i do is charge them at 1C though . maybe fast charging is killing them sooner ??? i have only had 3 hobbyking turnegy packs come in DOA, but i dont count those since i never used them .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old May 14, 2012, 11:07 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
i would like to know what you guys are doing to kill these packs in a short time . i still have my max amp , tenergy (batteryspace pack) and a lot of blue lipos , and hobbyking packs . maxamps and tenengy packs are from 2007 and still ballance charging fine .
the only thing i do is charge them at 1C though . maybe fast charging is killing them sooner ??? i have only had 3 hobbyking turnegy packs come in DOA, but i dont count those since i never used them .
It's because there is no objective measurement of when a pack is really dead. They "lose punch" over time, but if you don't care about punch because you're flying a trainer or something, you won't notice it, and you would rate that pack "fine" and keep using it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old May 15, 2012, 07:59 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
It's because there is no objective measurement of when a pack is really dead. They "lose punch" over time, but if you don't care about punch because you're flying a trainer or something, you won't notice it, and you would rate that pack "fine" and keep using it.
for me i guess what you call "punch" they balance charge to 4.16v and last in the air in a 450 or 500 heli for 4 to 5 min (2 year old battery mind you) then they have punch . so it is either the newer batteries arent holding a charge or the chargers are destroying the batteries
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old May 15, 2012, 08:17 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
736 Posts
I've used mainly the Turnigy packs and generally get about 1-2 years use flying them 2-3 times a week (~200 charges). Pretty happy with them, and the 30 or 40C have plenty of punch.

Nanotechs have even more punch, but have only owned them for 6 months. Still going strong.

I make sure I don't leave them charged all week or overwork them till they're too hot and charge at rated C. Taking care of batts has to help their lifespan.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old May 15, 2012, 08:21 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
736 Posts
Also got rid of my ebay $30 charger, as when checked with a mm it was charging cell 3 to 4.26!
Got an icharger instead and that will certainly help lifespan, plus I can check cell resistance.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Last edited by SleepySean; May 15, 2012 at 09:58 AM.