SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2012, 01:10 PM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
Discussion
New Ship, New Problems with GPS

I've finished reassembling my crashed ship. Its an X quad for now. I installed the new GPS board but now its acting funny. Keep in mind the ship flies fine without the GPS board. When I have the GPS in PH it doesn't seem to want to hold its position at all. When in RTH it allows me to slew. That right there should tell me theres a bigger issue. I've got a blue light on the GPS as well. When the GPS board is installed it also makes the ship more loose (like the gain is turned down). Any ideas? P.S. What is the second GPS port for on the new GPS boards?
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 01:25 PM
Air Traffic Controller
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Aug 2011
250 Posts
I'm beginning to notice a few GPS issues. Since I retired the harness and rerouted the receiver lines, it acts very squirrelly using PH. AL is nice. AH is nearly perfect. Very stable at hover at about 40% throttle. Turn on PH and it's like it has a mind of its own. I don't lift off till I have a blue light. The other day, it seemed to be holding well. I executed a 90 degree left yaw, and it nearly had a come apart (high hillbilly for going crazy). I recovered manually and all was smooth. This weekend, I'm rerouting the GPS antenna and shielding the wires to the GPS. I have on the way, aluminum screws. Once all this is in place, I'll report back.

One question though.... Is the compass physically located on the GPS antenna board or on the GPS board proper? I was thinking along the lines of some sort of copper shield below the GPS antenna and possibly on the board itself.
Webheadfred is offline Find More Posts by Webheadfred
Old May 10, 2012, 02:58 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webheadfred View Post
One question though.... Is the compass physically located on the GPS antenna board or on the GPS board proper? I was thinking along the lines of some sort of copper shield below the GPS antenna and possibly on the board itself.
The magnetometer is located on the main GPS board. Thatís why the boards have to be mounted at the correct orientation. Some of have had problems with the compass calibration if there is any steel or other magnetic material on the main part of the frame. I had to change all the fasteners to aluminum to get the compass it work correctly. After I did that the GPS and compass works well with the supplied cable.

Also the main Pro board has the pressure sensor to measure altitude so make sure that you interfere with that.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
Hoverfly Technologies
United States, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Nov 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspencer View Post
P.S. What is the second GPS port for on the new GPS boards?
I'll have to let Al or George take a crack at the GPS issue itself, but I can answer this one.

We had a major issue at the end of last year when we were unable to source the D2523T GPS antenna module that was compatible with the HoverflyGPS. (This was a worldwide shortage - nobody could get this product for several months.) So to overcome that issue, we added another port to the HoverflyGPS to make them compatible with GS407 and MediaTek GPS antenna modules as well.
hoverben is offline Find More Posts by hoverben
Old May 10, 2012, 06:19 PM
EASILY ANNOYED
United States, MI, New Buffalo
Joined Aug 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverben View Post
I'll have to let Al or George take a crack at the GPS issue itself, but I can answer this one.

We had a major issue at the end of last year when we were unable to source the D2523T GPS antenna module that was compatible with the HoverflyGPS. (This was a worldwide shortage - nobody could get this product for several months.) So to overcome that issue, we added another port to the HoverflyGPS to make them compatible with GS407 and MediaTek GPS antenna modules as well.
I've located a second hand gps. But,mbefore I pull the trigger, should I make sure t has a specific gps module? Is one "preferred" compared to the others?
zuby1 is offline Find More Posts by zuby1
Old May 10, 2012, 07:14 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuby1 View Post
I've located a second hand gps. But,mbefore I pull the trigger, should I make sure t has a specific gps module? Is one "preferred" compared to the others?
Make sure that you get one with factory default firmware. Some board manufacturers load custom code in the GPS that is not compatible with HF.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man