HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:56 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,063 Posts
Hey Guy's

The next installment includes making a mold so that I could vacform some flap track fairings for the bottom of the wing. Firstly I made up a plug of the shape I was after. I went with a very simplified version of the real thing because it would be impossible to vacform the correct shape in one go and I thought that this would have been just too much work the this model. Once happy with the general outline, I made it a little taller with a balsa block. balsa is most definately not suited to this type of work but I was after something quick and for a pretty limited run so it did ok.

Once the 6 were made I added some blasa to the the bottom of the fairing to give me more purchase area to glue to. I then turned to makeing the gear doors. I started by laying up 4 layers of a fairly lightweight cloth onto the fuse to get the right shape. Once done, I cut a 1.6mm balsa piece that gave me the internal shape/structure of the door and far greater rigidity because the 4 layers of glass alone were kinda flimsy. once done I covered it with some vinyl and a quick prime and it's ready to attach the actuating arm for the servo. got to build the other door first thought

Thanks

dave
ticketec is offline Find More Posts by ticketec
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:25 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,063 Posts
No updates of late. have the inlaws up for a week. It will limit the amount of play time i get.....

Thanks

dave
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:39 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,063 Posts
The in laws left this morning so it's straight back onto the hawk

After an afternoon of fiddling about, the landing gear is now in and the gear doors are pretty much rigged. They need a bit more adjustment, but its good enough to permanently attach the horns to the doors.

Thanks

Dave
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:45 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,063 Posts
iPads only letting me upload one pic at a time

Both sides are now complete.

Thanks

Dave
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:29 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jun 2011
1 Posts
Nice wing Dave, pitty about the fuse!!!!!
Shanew79 is offline Find More Posts by Shanew79
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:33 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,063 Posts
Thanks shaneo fuse starting soon.

Well after quite a few different delays, got little more work done. The aileron servos are in and the extension leads terminated. I ended up using some mg-14 servos so plenty of holding power for the job. I've completed the installation of the ailerons which I installed with pin hinges.

The inner landing gears doors have been primed and epoxied in place and I have made and attached the outer gear doors to the oleo legs them selves. The large leading edge Wing fences were also chopped down a little after Shaneo said they were too big

All I have left to do is to make up some covers for the retract units, connect the Aileron servos, and a little Fettling of the inner gear doors and the wing is complete. I quickly chucked it on the scales and it comes in at exactly 1kg. paint and the little covers shouldn't be all that much which leaves me with about 2kg to finish the fuse in to complete her at about 4kg ready to fly

Thanks

Dave
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:36 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,063 Posts
And the gear doors
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:20 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2009
250 Posts
I can't say I've gone to the level of absolute scale detail that you have ticketec, but work let up for chrissy and I was able to get a bit more done. Maybe next christmas I'll get to fly it

In my excitement to get the fuse paint done before heading back to work I forgot to mask up the roundels just under the canopy

Cheers
NickM91 is offline Find More Posts by NickM91
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:48 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,063 Posts
Hey Nick,

Looks great mate!!!!! great to see that it's almost done

I had to stop working on mine because work went crazy and then I was sent to Sydney for a month on a course so managed to do not much more.

What did you do for the elevators? I didn;t really like the stock setup, and had a couple of ideas but always open to something new

I'm 1/2 through building a slopie because we have had nothing but 15-20kts wings here for the last 3 weeks and I wanted to have something new for the slopes but I hope to get back onto this one real quick because I have another hawk coming soon and I didn't want the two projects to clash.

Looking forward to the completed pic's and the flight report!

Thanks

dave
Last edited by ticketec; Jan 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2009
250 Posts
Hey Dave,

Cheers for the comments

The elevator at this stage is the stock set up, but it hasn't been set in place yet because it feels extremely flimsy! I was considering reinforcing the foam where it meets the plastic for a bit more piece of mind, but i'm worried that won't be enough. What route were you thinking of going down with them?

If i wasn't a slopie flyer as well I probably would have got this done over summer I'm back in WA now and the sea breeze seems more consistent than it does back home, considering getting a new slopie for over here

Are you getting that new smartmodel mk127? Been following that thread a bit, looks like a really nice model. If they do a decent RAAF paint job like they say it'd be excellent.

Cheers
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:00 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,514 Posts
Looks good! Where will you be flying it? Wouldn't mind having a closer look, and finding a few other EDF drivers over west...
Odysis is online now Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:04 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2009
250 Posts
Hey mate,

Unfortunately not in WA. I'm over here for work, and the hawk has to stay back home in Sydney.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:21 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,063 Posts
I was thinking of doing what one of the guys on the flyfly hawk thread did and machine up a joiner for the elevators and then used one servo to drive them. I even bought all the materials to do it and got the lathe ready. But then the more i looked at it, i didnt like it Either. Firstly he has the whole arrangement hanging into the thrust tube which I didn't like at all, that was ok, i was going to hide mine in the base of the fin. And secondly when I looked at the geometry, what he had done wasn't right either. It was ok just through the center range of movement but it would eventually bind.

So I might just use 2 servos but have them hidden in the tail area. And drive each elevator half using ball joints. I'll also be adding an additional bearing block for the elevator shaft. I better get cracking on this one soon and post some pics.

Re: sloping, yeah, great fun and I have been flying the same wing I designed for about 6-7 years. Ended up recovering it a few weeks ago which brought it performance right back up again but I've gone with a bigger 48" full epp windrider bee2. Hope to be able to mix it up with the other guys on the slope now. Can't control the winds, so if you can't stop it, join it!!!

I do have the smart model hawk 100 coming it's been a LONG time coming, but I'm told its shipping out next week some time and in Aussie colours as I requested. I was meant to do some prototype testing for him but it looks like another of the prototypes got out to South Africa first?? Ah we'll, make my life that bit easier looking forward to the full composite one which is definitely coming my way first! I'll start a new thread for the build on these ones. Thanks

Dave
Last edited by ticketec; Jan 21, 2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:03 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,356 Posts
I got plenty of mirage decals on hand, didnt some of the aussie hawks have the coloured roundels? Am thinking of making a large sheet with lots of different roundels and basic markings that would cover a full range of aussie aircraft, any suggestions or graphic examples feel free to post or email them!

Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:54 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,063 Posts
Thanks Mark,

I find clearing these models enough to ensure that the waterslides dont silver on you is a real pain, and I have a vinyl cutter here at home so I just make up all my own spray masks.

thanks

dave

P.S. I believe the only RAAF hawk with high vis markings is the 76sqn anniversary scheme, and then only the fuse rondels are high vis.