Thanks

dave
ticketec is offline Find More Posts by ticketec
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:26 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2009
250 Posts
Hey mate,

Unfortunately not, still on the other side of the country with work and will be for the foreseeable future. Not that my current situation is a terribly bad thing

Will kick it off again probably over the Christmas/New Years holidays.

Cheers
NickM91 is offline Find More Posts by NickM91
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:33 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,151 Posts
Well,

I finally started work on mine a while ago, and then something else has come along which has required me to really hurry up on this build or I won't get it finished! I'll show you guys what i'm talking about when it arrives, but I dare say it will interest all. I had been taking pictures along the way but it seems like I have lost a few of them So I'll post what I've got.

Anyway, I had finally collected everything I needed for the build other than the motor and started by installing a 6mm carbon fibre spar along the wing. I then also added retract plates into the gear locations because I felt that the standard offering by flyfly didn't do a good enough job of spreading the landing gear loads into the foam.

While the wing was open I also routed the aileron extension cable which I'll terminate later.

Thanks

dave
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:06 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,151 Posts
Next,

I looked at them for a long time and decided that I really didn't like the stock oleos that come with the kit. the wheels are too small and they are just plain flimsy. I looked into machining up some bushes etc to remove the slop but I still wouldn't have liked them. I've lernt my lesson with the flyfly Sabre I built and I went through 3 different types of oleos or retracts before I finally reached a decent landing gear arrangement. It's been such a pain that I didn't want to go through it all again so I bought the newer upgraded topgun oleos. MUCH better!! still very tight, but I pulled them apart, lubed them up and then did some modification work and they are very nice now!

The modification work was mainly to chop them down in length. They are too tall for the Hawk. as you can see in the picture, I was able to shave just over 3/4" in overal length which has helped the sit. I cut the top off the upper portion of the leg in the lathe, and then I attacked the inner portion of the oleo. What i did was to calculate the max movement of the inner and then extend the groove that the attaching arm sits in, so in effect the inner is now shorter, and so is the outer. I couldn't take it all just from one side because there wasn't enough material at either end to reduce the height sufficiently. the added bonus is that the leg now sit's a little more like the hawks full sized trailing link, and that it has greater leverage over the spring which makes it a little softer which it needed for a 4kg model.As you can see in the pic's I also had to open up the wheel wells as well to accomodate the new legs, and also so that the gear door ends up looking a little more like the full sized.

The last pic shows the lower wing skins have been attached, and a slurry of spack filler applied to the HUGE grooves flyfly/topgun must refer to as panel lines across the whole wing. the cutout where the spar when through the center wing section was filled with foam, and faired in. The wing in these pic's is ready for glassing.

Thanks

Dave
Last edited by ticketec; Sep 03, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:19 AM
Glow? What is that?
South Africa, FS, Bloemfontein
Joined Apr 2009
140 Posts
Good job there...

Iv had terrible luck with my hawk yet again...
Lost it after takeoff at approx 5meters due to esc cutting ALL power to the motor with NO landback option.
I was using a HK190-200 on 7S.

I am still trying to understand the electronic failure I experienced.
I think that I will upgrade to a HV ESC OR DOwngrade to a 6S setup so that I do not operate at the MAX cell count of any esc...
Blizards316 is offline Find More Posts by Blizards316
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:36 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizards316 View Post
Good job there...

Iv had terrible luck with my hawk yet again...
Lost it after takeoff at approx 5meters due to esc cutting ALL power to the motor with NO landback option.
I was using a HK190-200 on 7S.

I am still trying to understand the electronic failure I experienced.
I think that I will upgrade to a HV ESC OR DOwngrade to a 6S setup so that I do not operate at the MAX cell count of any esc...
Sorry to hear mate

I have used the dimension engineering UBEC with very good success and they have not failed me yet! that included my 11s 127mm Byron EDF conversion. This will ensure that even if the ESC goes up in smoke you will still have power to your R/X and servos to bring the model home. Most of the built in UBEC's can't handle too may servos.

Thanks

dave
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:40 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,151 Posts
Ok,

This is where I lost a few pic's, but needless to say that I chopped the wingtip's off and installed the 100 series wing tips. I did a fair bit of research and found that the actual wingtip does not cover the end of the aileron. this is a fairing that is installed when the sidewinder rail is not installed. I plan on having some "angry bits" hangin off this one so I installed the standard rail.

The pic shows the wing glassed with 0.5oz cloth, and epoxy. I tried WBPU and although it was a little quicker, the softer finish really felt like I was wasting my time so I decided to go back to the tried and tested epoxy! I've high fill primed and sanded this one down twice so the wing is now ready for some detailing.

Also, as I've been sick fo rthe last few days and not really up to heaving downstairs to the workshop, I decided to do some work with the computer and my vinyl cutter instead. The MDC is an often missed detail on model Hawks that is very obvious on the full sized, so an afternoon of work and I now have the MDC done! I stuck it to the inside of the canopy so it's protected from the painting of the canopy frames and in service suffing.

Thanks

dave
Thanks

dave
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:01 AM
Glow? What is that?
South Africa, FS, Bloemfontein
Joined Apr 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketec View Post
Sorry to hear mate

I have used the dimension engineering UBEC with very good success and they have not failed me yet! that included my 11s 127mm Byron EDF conversion. This will ensure that even if the ESC goes up in smoke you will still have power to your R/X and servos to bring the model home. Most of the built in UBEC's can't handle too may servos.

Thanks

dave
It was not failure of the UBEC at all!

I ALWAYS run a separate 6v life batt into the rx.

The failure was a power delivery failure to the engine only.
The ESC was at its max cell count of 7s. And just all of a sudden cut all power to the engine.

Im tired of HK ESC failures.
Blizards316 is offline Find More Posts by Blizards316
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:03 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizards316 View Post
It was not failure of the UBEC at all!

I ALWAYS run a separate 6v life batt into the rx.

The failure was a power delivery failure to the engine only.
The ESC was at its max cell count of 7s. And just all of a sudden cut all power to the engine.

Im tired of HK ESC failures.
AH.. fair enough, I thought when you said no landback option that she went off air.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:07 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,151 Posts
Ok, so progressing with the build,

Now that i was finally happy with the wing, I begain to add the surface details. The silver panels have been cut with the vinyl cutter and will remain on the aircraft when primed. it will give the surface a but more of a "3D" look and feel, and this is important later on during the weathering stage.

The opaque vinyl has been put into place to make the leading eade panel line. this will be built up with filler and then sanded down to the height of the vinyl once dry, then remove the vinyl, and there you have a lap style joint completed.

Thanks

dave
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:02 AM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,642 Posts
Lookin GREAT!! keep up the nice work.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:05 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,151 Posts
Thanks mate, progress has stopped a little this weekend because of a charity airshow at my club. Busy getting models ready and out flying!

Thanks

Dave
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:31 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,151 Posts
Ok,

Got a little more time into the 127 today.

I focused on the wing fences this afternoon. As you can see, I started with the fence at the wingtip that the formation lights are installed on. I made this out of .5mm (0.020") Ali because it needed some strength, but not thickness. the other wing fences were made with .8mm plastic.

I made some templates out of cardboard to get the wing shape for the fences correct, and then I cut a grove into the wing it self to make sure that the fence had some purchase onto the wing. If i had glued them to the wing surface alone they would continually be breaking off!

I then masked off an area larger than the fence and made sure that I smoothed and filled that area with the expoy I glued them on with. This will make the panel that attaches the real life fence to the wing for me.

You can just make out in the first picture, but I also cut off some foam from the trailing edge and installed some balsa so I have something to glue the hinges too and I also curved the balsa so that I will have recessed ailerons, i.e. no visable gap between the flight control and the wing.

All I have left is a panel line I keep missing to put on the top side of the wing, the vortex generators along the wing, and the flap track fairings on the underside. Once that's all done, I'll do some quick work on the gear doors, prime the lot, and then set aside the wing and start on the fuse.

Thanks

dave
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:56 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,151 Posts
One of the last jobs on the top side of the wing was that pesky panel line I missed which has been sorted out and then vortex generators (VG's). The 30 VG's were made from L angle plastic from the LHS, which was shaped and cut to size. The distances was calculated and marked out on some tape so that they would all come out in a straight line.

The last two pic's show the top of the wing in it's final primer coat ready for the top colour coats to be applied. Next I will make the flap fairing vac form mold and see if that is going to work for me, which I am concerned that it will be too tall and thin to pull well with the 1mm PTEG I have here on hand. some minor detailing and then the inner gear doors need to be made up.

Thanks

dave
Last edited by ticketec; Sep 14, 2012 at 05:22 AM.