HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 05:36 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2009
250 Posts
Discussion
Fly Fly Hawk MK127 build log

G'day,

Just a thread to log my fly fly hawk mk127 build for anyone that's interesting.

Plan for the build is:
  • New nose
  • scale antennae pitot probe etc
  • Spackled, glassed with WBPU,
  • RAAF 76 SQN 2 tone grey paint scheme
  • Gear doors etc (eventually)

Hoping to keep it light and power by a ChangeSun 90mm edf unit running on 5S (i'm not after extreme speed at this stage, no doubt that will change in the future.

The goal:

What I've got to work with:

The progress:

New nose cut out of Depron

Theres a lot more work to be done, the new nose still needs final shaping and sanding, attaching to the forward fuse, and spackle etc.

I've put a carbon ribbon spar in the wing as well.

Hoping to cut out flaps in the next few days and mod the wing tip to replicate the MK127

PS I have an issue with the landing gear, the supplied electronic retracts accept a larger diameter rod than what the fly fly oleo legs can receive, is it okay to drill out the oleo's or am i going down the path of breaking screwing them? At this stage they will sit in securely, but as the gear leg (the small rod that actually goes into the retract unit) is not a snug fit there is a fair amount of slop. Any ideas?
NickM91 is offline Find More Posts by NickM91
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 01:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,476 Posts
Good start!

I've drilled out an oleo strut before with good result, but that's about the limit of my metal bashing skills. Always better to have a thicker, stronger rod ...
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 09:18 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,861 Posts
nice work

I converted one of my 50mm hawks and I'm thinking about
doing my Fly Fly hawk like this also
pulsery2k1 is online now Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old May 13, 2012, 06:31 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,167 Posts
I've been thinking about doing exactly the same thing!!!

Looking forward to seeing how it comes out

Thanks

Dave
ticketec is offline Find More Posts by ticketec
Old May 13, 2012, 07:20 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2009
250 Posts
Nice work on that 50mm version pulsery

I've done a bit more work on the nose over the last day or so. It's now glued on. Still in the halves though.

I need to sort out my landing gear, having not heard back from the shop I bought them from after a few days. I've had another look and there is way WAY too much slop in them. I suppose I'll be drilling oleo's today. Then hopefully I can get the nose glued together and finish shaping and start spackling, filling.

What are people thoughts on flaps? I'd love to have them for the scale look + cool factor, but I'm on a very tight timeline to have this finished before work commitments mean no modelling. I'm worried I might not be able to get it done in time if I start hacking into the wing etc.

Cheers

Nick
Old May 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,861 Posts
Well on flaps , I've seen this fly and they not really needed.
I will install them as we have a very short runway.

but you can always add them when time permit's
pulsery2k1 is online now Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old May 13, 2012, 09:19 PM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
263 Posts
Hi Nick and others ,
I have just started my FlyFly Hawk this week as well. Was going to keep
it red and white, best visibility for these older eyes, but seeing the Mk 127 colour scheme...well second thoughts, I will follow with interest.
I have a Flyfly MB339 in the current flying roster. It was a long, long build but has certainly been worth it. Its a great flyer and a real "pussy."

I have just got my Changsun 12 blader fan and matching 1600kv motor in for the Hawk .Going with 6 cells as I have them for the MB339.
Also will be playing around with a joining rod for retracts and kit supplied oleo
struts. May well have a look at changing the wheels as the ones on the MB339 are wearing out fast.

If any body is looking for a FlyFly Hawk kit at the right price I have another
one (and a F 86 ) still in the box. Bought two of each !!

Regards
Tony
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51
Old May 14, 2012, 01:39 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2009
250 Posts
Oleo's drilled out successfully.

Still looking to join the nose halves together this evening
Old May 14, 2012, 02:27 AM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
263 Posts
Hi Ernie,
Tried to reply to your private message but evidently your in box is overloaded and needs
clearing.
Asking $120 for the Hawk kit.
Regards
Tony
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51
Old May 14, 2012, 03:48 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2009
250 Posts
Added some carbon rods to the fwd fuselage/nose, felt like an easy snapping point.

Also tested the retracts, they all function correctly however I have encountered a snag with the nose retract.

The torque link hits the electric drive mechanism (see photo below) any ideas how to overcome this?

I still have the included mechanical retracts, but was hoping to avoid using that. Also was thinking I could slave the steering servo to turn as it is retracted. That however means having nose wheel steering and rudder on a different channel. Seems a pretty poor design for this to occur, this is after all one of the models the oleo's and retracts were designed for.
Old May 21, 2012, 04:32 AM
Glow? What is that?
South Africa, FS, Bloemfontein
Joined Apr 2009
140 Posts
Here is my detail wrt my Flyfly Hawk mk120

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=279
Blizards316 is offline Find More Posts by Blizards316
Old May 21, 2012, 04:55 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizards316 View Post
Here is my detail wrt my Flyfly Hawk mk120

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=279
Looking really good - cant wait for the report on the maiden - try to get some pics
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old May 21, 2012, 07:21 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2009
250 Posts
Looks good blizards!

Updates on mine:
Top layer of wing is glassed, bottom still waiting
Wing tip missile rails added
Nose is more or less complete, awaiting glassing and paint.

Don't think I'll be able to finish it before work commitments take over indefinitely.

Cheers
Old May 21, 2012, 10:37 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM91 View Post
I still have the included mechanical retracts, but was hoping to avoid using that. Also was thinking I could slave the steering servo to turn as it is retracted. That however means having nose wheel steering and rudder on a different channel. Seems a pretty poor design for this to occur, this is after all one of the models the oleo's and retracts were designed for.
After using some tools that i had in my shop, this is how I got around it. Ignoring the strut I used, pay close attention to how to I shortened the module on the retract to allow the wheel (or in your case, the strut) to retract fully.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=36

OR YOU COULD TRY THIS - ITS EASIER

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=26

So, there, I've given you two of MY ideas. Use them.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Last edited by SkylineFlyer; May 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:13 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,016 Posts
Turn it around.

I had the same problem with the strut when I used them on the Fly Fly Hunter. The solution was to turn the scissor around on the strut so that it was facing towards the back of the plane.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM91 View Post
Added some carbon rods to the fwd fuselage/nose, felt like an easy snapping point.

Also tested the retracts, they all function correctly however I have encountered a snag with the nose retract.

The torque link hits the electric drive mechanism (see photo below) any ideas how to overcome this?

CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA