HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 03:43 AM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Help!
Is my KK Blackboard dead?

I lost a prop on my quad about a week ago and had a sizable crash. I got parts in and now it seems as if I have a bad output on the fc. All four motors spin up, but #4 needs much more throttle before the speed increases. I am using QuadControllerV4_7_X firmware. I have the quad anchored with the props on and checked pitch, roll and yaw. I also rotated the fc 180 degrees, in case it was a bad ESC. Ony troubleshooting tools I have are a fluke 189 dmm and a fluke 336 clamp on ammeter. I would like to know if I need to get another board ordered, or if this one can be revived. I did try flashing different firmwares. Thanks for any help.
EBen63060 is offline Find More Posts by EBen63060
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 07:58 AM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,935 Posts
try calibrating the ESC throttle range. http://rcexplorer.se/page14/kkguide/kkguide/quad.html

2. Calibrating the throttle range on the ESC’s
This is to ensure that all the ESC’s have the same throttle range end points. This step only needs to be performed once. Fail to do this calibration can result in an uncontrollable platform. If you ever install new ESC’s this step needs to be performed again.
Never perform this step with the props mounted!

- Make sure that the flight-controller is turned off
- Turn the Yaw pot to the MIN position
- Turn on the transmitter
- Move the throttle stick to top (full)
- Turn on the flight-controller
- Wait until the ESC's beeps twice after the initial beeps. (Plush and SS ESC's)
- Swiftly move the throttle stick fully down (closed). The ESC’s beeps
- Power off the flight-controller
- Restore the yaw pot to around 50%
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old May 10, 2012, 02:35 PM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Already done this. Every time I re-flashed the firmware. Thanks anyway.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:42 PM
Prog Rocker
Down South
Joined Jul 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBen63060 View Post
Already done this. Every time I re-flashed the firmware. Thanks anyway.

Did you try Minsoo Kim's v2.5 firmware?
I have some KK black boards, and they don't seem to work well with 4.7,
but when I flashed 2.5, they work way better for me.
I think 4.7 is more intended for the red KK boards.
Camelboy is offline Find More Posts by Camelboy
Old May 10, 2012, 03:04 PM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
I am willing to try anything at the moment. I have waited over week to try and put it in the air again. I hate to wait for another board. I thought the 4.7 was good for all the KK boards.
Old May 10, 2012, 03:08 PM
Prog Rocker
Down South
Joined Jul 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
I am willing to try anything at the moment. I have waited over week to try and put it in the air again. I hate to wait for another board. I thought the 4.7 was good for all the KK boards.

I thought the same about 4.7, but I could never get it to work well.
Camelboy is offline Find More Posts by Camelboy
Old May 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
I am flashing it again. Will know if it works in a few minutes. Thanks! Any idea what type of output is given from the board to the ESC? I don't recall reading that anywhere. I would like to know for future reference. I want to be able to bench test ESC's and motors.
Old May 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Apr 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
I am flashing it again. Will know if it works in a few minutes. Thanks! Any idea what type of output is given from the board to the ESC? I don't recall reading that anywhere. I would like to know for future reference. I want to be able to bench test ESC's and motors.
PWM i think
vcazan is offline Find More Posts by vcazan
Old May 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Apr 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
PWM i think (pulse width modulation)
Old May 10, 2012, 04:52 PM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Cool, thanks. I knew that, but have been dwelling on my issue too much. Does anyone sell a signal generator? I have been doing random searches, but would prefer to support someone on this forum, if it is an option. Thanks again.
Old May 10, 2012, 06:12 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,935 Posts
youd need an oscilloscope so you can see the PWM signal that is being generated.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old May 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Apr 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Cool, thanks. I knew that, but have been dwelling on my issue too much. Does anyone sell a signal generator? I have been doing random searches, but would prefer to support someone on this forum, if it is an option. Thanks again.
You can actually write firmware for the atmega to just send PWM values via serial communication. Its actually pretty easy. You can even use the arduino software and write somthing quickly in java
Old May 10, 2012, 07:29 PM
I make quad pieces.
United States, WA
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Are there any guidelines for this? I will also need to get a usb to serial port adapter. My dell xps does not have serial port. Thanks for the info.