HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 01:37 AM
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Discussion
DELL SP489 server power supply conversion help?

I can't seem to work out which pins to short to turn this PS on and can't find any info on the net.

Anyone has experience with this PS and can tell me which pins I need to short?

Spec
http://www.tbfcomputing.com/ebaypict...rm100_1427.JPG

connector side
http://www.tbfcomputing.com/ebaypict...rm100_1429.JPG
Protoser is offline Find More Posts by Protoser
Last edited by Protoser; May 10, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 07:50 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
857 Posts
Neither of those links works............
dmccormick001 is offline Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old May 10, 2012, 07:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
ops, my bad, fixed
Protoser is offline Find More Posts by Protoser
Old May 11, 2012, 08:10 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
857 Posts
From the thread "A simple high quality 12Volt 100Amp Power Supply- Part1"

Credit goes to xandrios for his great work, this is a quote from his post #570
Quote:
Bringing that up, this is the method I used to find the correct pins to power up this supply. It also works for a majority of PS units out there.

With power off and testing each pin to ground.

1. Exclude any pins that are common to each other(including ground pins). Usually these are the 3v and 5v rail pins. They also show the same resistance.

2. Exclude any open pins(pins with no resistance that don't connect to anything).

3. Exclude any pins with a value below 1k ohms and above 10k ohms. From my experience, I've found that the pson and pskill resistance usually falls between a 1k and 10k range.

With power on.

4. Exclude any pins that show no voltage.(pson and pskill are held partially TTL high or just not grounded. So they show some voltage on them).

This will usually leave between 4-6 pins.

Use a .5k ohm resistor on each of the individual remaining pins and connect each to ground. The power supply will usually power up at this point.

Disconnect one resistor at a time from ground.

If the PS remains on after a you disconnect a resistor from ground, then the remaining pins contain the pson and pskill. So keep it disconnected from ground.

If the power supply turns off, then the disconnected pin is either the pson or pskill. So reconnect it to ground.

Repeat this process until you find the pson and pskill pins.

In some cases the PS will turn on with a fault.

If this happens then disconnect one resistor(pin) at a time from ground to find the one that is causing the fault. Then continue with the process above to find the pskill and pson pins.
dmccormick001 is offline Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
I managed to get my one of these running, but havent found out how to slow the clip on fan down, did you have any joy in the end?
chrisinuk is offline Find More Posts by chrisinuk
Old Dec 03, 2013, 11:09 PM
Joined Dec 2013
2 Posts
After much searching I couldn't find anyone with any info on the dell PS489. I got mine to work shorting pins A1 to B6 only. I also adjusted the top potentiometer fully anticlockwise to raise the 12 volt rail to 12.45 volts. You could runs a small country town off this monster. I also installed a cooling fan (I powered the fan with 12v from the P2 cable), to assist with cooling - as there are no fans fitted as standard. Not sure if it's required, but it can't hurt.
J32FO is offline Find More Posts by J32FO
Old Dec 03, 2013, 11:17 PM
Joined Dec 2013
2 Posts
I forgot to mention - I used the terminals 9,10,11 for the ground/negative and terminals 12,13,14 for 12 volts positive.
J32FO is offline Find More Posts by J32FO