HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 02:14 AM
Head in the clouds
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
774 Posts
Question
Sim Transmitter Query

Got a bit of an interesting question for you all..

Just getting into the RC Heli hobby as a raw beginner, starting out with a NineEagles Solo Pro 260A Single Rotor FP. Having a ball!

Now I am thinking of getting a Sim to practice when my Heli is grounded for repairs, or if the weather is bad and I have an itch to fly outdoors. Only issue is in getting a Sim, ideally I need a proper USB Transmitter rather than trying to find a Sim that will work with a gamepad..

I found that HeliPal.com sell TX's for use with RC Sims such as this: Skyartec 8ch Sim TX
But also saw they sell cables for connecting Proper TX's to a PC such as this: Walkera USB Connector (also have Futaba, spektrum, JR etc.)

I am looking to get a Walkera Genius FP (not CP) in the next 6 months, then later something a bit bigger like the 4#6.

My question is, would it be worth getting a Sim Specific TX now, and later looking at connecting a Walkera TX when I get one, or should I look at getting a Walkera TX now so I only need to learn one TX?

If getting a Walkera TX now would be your choice, can you suggest one that would be suitable? I don't think I'll ever be interested in flying a CP heli, at least not for a couple years, by which time I'll be less concerned with money. And even then I doubt I'd be wanting to do any 3D style flying, I'm more interested in Scale flight styles.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 02:33 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
They say you get what you pay for, Still, this worked out fine for me with many hours orientation training at minimum cost.

RC Tech 6 CH Flight Simulator Kit
http://www.xheli.com/new6chflsico.html

Free HeliSim simulator
http://www.marksfiles.net/HeliSim/

Free FMS simulator
http://www.rcdiscuss.com/showthread....smitter-Remote

The fake simulator transmitters such as the RC Tech get their power from the computer via USB cable.

When you use a real transmitter on the simulators, they run off batteries.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; May 10, 2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old May 10, 2012, 03:24 AM
Head in the clouds
Joined Apr 2012
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
They say you get what you pay for, Still, this worked out fine for me with many hours orientation training at minimum cost.

RC Tech 6 CH Flight Simulator Kit
http://www.xheli.com/new6chflsico.html

Free HeliSim simulator
http://www.marksfiles.net/HeliSim/

Free FMS simulator
http://www.rcdiscuss.com/showthread....smitter-Remote
Indeed, and I've tried both, and HeliSimRC is near useless, minimal physics at best.. FMS just doesn't like my PC, constant flicker.

I'm looking to get something like Phoenix or RealFlight, as the Online stuff is something I'd like as well, being able to talk to other hobbyists and learn from them. As well as the more detailed Physics models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
The fake simulator transmitters such as the RC Tech get their power from the computer via USB cable.

When you use a real transmitter on the simulators, they run off batteries.
This is helpful! It may be worth getting a dummy transmitter just to save the cost of batteries, thanks!
Old May 10, 2012, 04:08 AM
United States, CT
Joined Apr 2012
185 Posts
For a simulator controller I got the "E-Sky 4 CH Flight Simulator Training Kit" for $20, available many different places, Google it to find ... And I use that with the "ClearView" R/C Simulator available for $40 at rcflightsim.com ... This combo works well for me and is fairly inexpensive.
Sudsak is offline Find More Posts by Sudsak
Old May 10, 2012, 08:56 AM
Head in the clouds
Joined Apr 2012
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsak View Post
For a simulator controller I got the "E-Sky 4 CH Flight Simulator Training Kit" for $20, available many different places, Google it to find ... And I use that with the "ClearView" R/C Simulator available for $40 at rcflightsim.com ... This combo works well for me and is fairly inexpensive.
I'm assuming you're talking about this little fella?
http://www.xheli.com/ek2-0905a-flightsimulator.html

Also just had a look at clearsky, and I must say, it feels pretty good! at least as good as it can be with an xbox controller

Might be on a winner. Also it is the first sim I've found that seems to come with a FP model, the others only look like they have CP helis even RealFlight (unless I cant see it in the demo)

Thanks for that Sudsak
Old May 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
United States, CT
Joined Apr 2012
185 Posts
Yep that's it. Sure no problem.
Sudsak is offline Find More Posts by Sudsak
Old May 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
12 Posts
Using rc plane master tx with realflight 6 demo

hi i love the realflight demo but i hate not having a controller . is there any way i can use my rcplanemaster tx for the realflight demo .

Thanks
Shay
Donoghue RC is offline Find More Posts by Donoghue RC
Old May 15, 2012, 06:49 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
After trying HeliSimRC, FMS, Clearview, then Heli-X, PhoenixRC and Realflight, I'd have to say PhoenixRC is my favorite.

There are heaps of heli's, planes, floats, and tilt rotors to choose from, mainly Align and Blade Heli's, and quite a few trainer heli's, including the Blade mSR and Blade 120SR 4 channel heli's, and they give you the option to fly with or without training gear on. It has a multiplayer online function with a buddy list and voice server, pre-loaded training sessions, including auto-rotation training, transmitter view, instruments, etc. There are some preloaded transmitter profiles (Futaba, Spektrum, JR etc.) to choose from, including the Walkera WK-2401 (4ch tx) and WK-2601 (6ch tx) profiles. You can use the RC Tech sim tx's, as I primarily use the 6ch version, which in the last couple of days I just converted into a 8ch tx with a dual rate switch along with a throttle hold switch and flight mode idle up 1 (stunt / 3D switch. You've just gotta be handy with a soldering iron and have a basic understanding of electronics.

Since I installed PhoenixRC, which is now the 4.0.j version with 2D photo panorama's and 3D digitally constructed panorama's, with the view options of normal, follow close up or cabin (which gives you the view from the pilots seat, as if you were actually inside the model flying it !!!), it has given me the confidence to step up to 6ch heli's and start doing 3D flying, all since starting in the hobby since October last year (8 months).

So much so, I regularly fly my Walkera 4F200LM Scale 200 sized "Lama" - Aerospatiale SA 315-B and I've just purchased a Walkera Genius CP, which is a challenge, since it's so fast and agile !!!

If you want one of the best flight sims on the market, you really can't go past PhoenixRC. Some deals even come with a supplied proprietary usb tx made specifically for use with PhoenixRC.

Personally, if you wish to continue in this hobby, you can't go wrong with PhoenixRC...
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Last edited by stormforce; May 15, 2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:53 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donoghue RC View Post
hi i love the realflight demo but i hate not having a controller . is there any way i can use my rcplanemaster tx for the realflight demo .

Thanks
Shay
You should be able to, as long as your computer recognises the tx, then you will have to make a new transmitter profile, calibrate the tx stick parameters, then map/assign the stick functions per channel, (there is a step by step setup wizard to help you set it up) you should be right to go.

Heli and plane stick functions are the same, so once you map the sticks, they will work for both heli's and planes (Clearview has a couple of cars too).
Old May 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Apr 2012
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
After trying HeliSimRC, FMS, Clearview, then Heli-X, PhoenixRC and Realflight, I'd have to say PhoenixRC is my favorite.

... cut for size ...

Personally, if you wish to continue in this hobby, you can't go wrong with PhoenixRC...
Thank you stormforce, the online thing is definitely something I am interested in. But I may get Clearview (paid) initially as I am currently studying with no job, so money is virtually non-existent, damn gvmt!

Although the above e-sky TX's look good, found this one at HobbyKing HK 6ch Sim TX which looks a bit nicer, plus both ch5 & 6 are toggles rather than the e-sky appearing to have a dial for ch6.

Which is a better option? e-sky or HK? Would either work with Phoenix?
I seem to get faster postage from China than from the US hence the preference.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:22 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
It looks ok slothy89, but it will take a while to come from Hong Kong, whereas the Dynam 6ch USB tx version I got is in Western Australia, is very easy to use, auto-installs in Win Vista and 7, for $30.00aud (you may be able to find one on ebay cheaper).

http://www.rc-estore.com.au/index.ph...&productId=339

or ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?LH...=dynam&_kw=usb

Personally, I'd pick a 6 or 8ch usb tx over a 4ch, as the other functions come in handy later on if you progress to 6ch heli's. I have both a 4ch and a 6ch (I just converted my 6ch usb tx to 8ch with throttle hold, dual rates and stunt/idle up1 switches) and I rarely use my 4ch usb tx anymore, whereas the 6ch gets used everynight for sim training on PhoenixRC.

The other alternative is to just buy an second hand 6ch tx and use the training plug and dynam cable kit for $13aud and then you can use the transmitter to fly the heli with.
Last edited by stormforce; May 16, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:18 AM
Head in the clouds
Joined Apr 2012
774 Posts
The TX I linked is 6ch, also the postage time from HK and MyRcMart I've found good, usually around 5 business days.

What is the difference between the knob on the top right of the Dynam TX vs the toggle on the HK?
Old May 16, 2012, 01:42 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
The knob on the dynam / rc tech is for channel 6, which is for gear (landing gear) or PIT (to adjust the blade pitch angle) then you have the mix switch on the front panel, which manipulates the aileron servo, based on the throttle position, so it works via channel 4 (mainly to stabilise the heli on take off against main motor torque, it may be a different channel on others, as I converted mine from mode 1 to mode 2 so the stick and function channels are a bit mixed up), and the switch on the top left is for channel 5 for setting the gyro gain.

All these switches can be re-programmed and re-mapped in the profile settings in most sims, not just PhoenixRC. I re-mapped the gyro switch to be the throttle hold (it stops the motors from spinning, so one can make adjustments to receiver or any part of the heli, especially if they are related to any throttle positions, It's a safety feature), swapped the dial for a SPDT switch and mapped it for F.Mode Normal or Idle Up 1/stunt (v shaped throttle curve 100% - 50% - 100%). I also found the solder points on the pcb inside to add another switch for dual rates (normal, or in "low", it decreases the elevator and aileron servo throw by 50% for beginners, it makes the heli more docile and supposedly easier to fly, as it reacts slower to stick input).

It now resembles the major features on most 6 - 12ch real transmitters. The rest of the features you have to go into the program or profile settings to change or set as you require, which is usually based on the wizard step by step format.

I've also added weights inside to simulate the feel of a real transmitter that has a full load of batteries installed.

MyRCMart has been very slow for me lately, so I've been using HeliPal, which normally gets my order to me in 6 days. Shop around to find the best price and brand of usb transmitter.

I have no experience with the HobbyKing one, so I can't comment on it, only the one's I personally use.

Mick.
Last edited by stormforce; May 16, 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:53 AM
Head in the clouds
Joined Apr 2012
774 Posts
I just got a replacement mainshaft and tail boom for the SoloPro, ordered last Wed, received yesterday from MyRCMart. Seems you need to email them to say you've paid or else they don't see it for a week or more.

I might get the HK, or similar with the dual toggles already since I'm not interested in modding it, dont have a decent Soldering Iron. Sounds like they're aimed at Planes with the landing gear switch.

Cheers
Old May 16, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,754 Posts
I use the HK one with planes and helis. Works great with Clearview which has taught me a lot about flying planes and helis. I already done with the sim phase and flying both because of Clearview.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72