HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
Discussion
Heli pilot wanting electric glider for aerial video

Not FPV, just aerial video capture. I've got a DX6i and a 50w charger already, and I'm thinking of picking up a Radian Pro to do some aerial video capture. Does that sounds like a good plane to do that with, or do you suggest something else? Hoping to spend less than $250 total, and I'm in Canada, any suggestions where to get it? Should I get the BNF or the ARF version? If I get the ARF, which receiver should I get?

Thanks in advance!
Nait0 is offline Find More Posts by Nait0
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 11:34 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Suggest buying an ARF glider, many pusher gliders could meet your needs. ie. Multiplex Easy Star or equivalents. Hobby King should carry more cheaper ones if you hate to spend more $$$ on famous brand ones. The genuine Specktrum receivers work better than the cheap DSM2 compatible ones on the glider. There have been some debates made on RCG about using cheap DSM2 receivers. Some one said that the cheap ones still work well if you have a good transmitter and the receiver could be installed correctly. Always keep its antenna(s) away from anything metal or carbon kinds, and better to have a range check on it before go flying. Just my two cents.
Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old May 10, 2012, 05:09 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,781 Posts
For video work, just about any model that has a pusher set up for a single motor, or is a twin motor will do. You just don't want to shoot video through the prop.

Have a look in the - Aerial Photography forum , or the - Video Piloting (FPV/RPV) forum , to see what they are generally using.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 10, 2012, 06:39 AM
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
Are pushers harder to fly than regular pull gliders like the RP?
Old May 10, 2012, 09:54 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
The pusher needs a little more time to respond the movements of control surfaces when you throttle it up from idle or 0 throttle, but it does not really matter on pusher glider, you might not be aware of the difference.
Chen
Old May 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
ok, good to know. Any you'd recommend? I see the Easy Star, but it's only a 3ch.
Also, any receivers you'd recommend?
Old May 11, 2012, 10:17 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
What camera you want to use? Do you want to capture just cruising around or aerobatic flight?
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old May 11, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
Just cruising around. I've got one of the Hobbyking HD Wing cameras now, it's not that bad honestly. I also have another micro 720p #11 keychain based camera too, but it's not shaped nicely and probably harder to mount. Acrobatics I figure I'll do with the heli.

Ordered an FPVRaptor, trying to find out the reocmmended upgrades for it now, it's sounding like people usually rip out everything and just keep the shell! Can't be that bad stock can it?
Old May 11, 2012, 11:14 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
There have beem many Easy Star kind pusher glider available on Hobby King site or even internet stores, Most of them are with aileron control. As for receiver, I'd recommend using DSM2 satellite one, and be sure to locate its antennas away from cable, lipo, ESC and anything metal and carbon.
Chen