HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Sep 2007
193 Posts
PII DS'ing a slope in Norway

Had an amazing DS experience yesterday, shortened video (which is still long)
hopefully can give a peek of the joy I felt controlling the art of DS to some degree.

The conditions were rather weak, in the first part of the video, it is between 6-7 m/s, later it calmed down to between 4-6 m/s.

Even this site is not Weldon, it works deep down in the forest, even there is not more than 15 meter elevation down to the tree canopy from the top of the hill.

PII Light DS Morvikfjellet 020712 (10 min 51 sec)
krvedaa is offline Find More Posts by krvedaa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:43 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Thought I'd post this here for the international guys, as well as in the Aussie thread.
Well I for one love it. It's like a cross between a Bear Grylls show (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/man-vs-wild/) and a "Wonders of the Serengeti" complete with fauna, flora and water hole comments.

Nice winter there mate. and thanks for the work (filming, commenting, editing)
Michael V is offline Find More Posts by Michael V
Last edited by Michael V; Jul 03, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:01 PM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
791 Posts
Quote:
Thought I'd post this here for the international guys, as well as in the Aussie thread.

I am very lucky to get out flying on days like yesterday when I had Larrikin Ridge all to myself. Mid-afternoon, enjoying a plunger coffee, I really did stop and look around and think “how good is this!” I know there are many of you who can’t just drop your work and shoot through to play with toys when the weather’s right, so I tried to make it up to you by shooting some video to share the enjoyment.

Because I had to stick the camera on the car while I was flying, I came home with hours of video! I cut out huge amounts and fast-forwarded most of the flying action, but it’s still 17 minutes! I’m really sorry that I couldn’t make it short! I just can’t do it!!!

Nothing amazing happens in this video. The whole thing starts with a wallaby, but no wind. It wouldn’t have got over 20 knots all day. The highlight was flying the Shockwave … the first “heavy” to DS at Larrikin, and it went perfectly. There are no records broken; the photography’s pretty basic; there’s no plot and the acting is crap. If anyone actually watches it, I’ll be chuffed. But it does give a good feel for what it’s like having a solo day out on a grassy South-east Queensland DS cowpaddock slope in mild westerly winds.

https://vimeo.com/45124989
I like it man. Glad to see you out there giving it some.

Re leaving camber on, I put mine on the throttle for proportional camber, with a
switch to turn the mix on/off, this way keep the throttle forward and you are good. This works well on mode 2, not sure if you would like it on mode 1.
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,322 Posts
Great vid Andrew! I don't know what it is, but even your 20min long videos seem like 5min. A good thing =)

Your 300 day is uploading as we speak
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:26 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,531 Posts
Looking forward to that Alex!!! Thanks!
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:48 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,322 Posts
I didn't get the 300 run on film, but got 274 or something near that
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:00 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,272 Posts
new batteries could be good for gliders,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_to_use_.html

3 = 4.8v and 4 =6.4v!

not sure if a special charger is needed however
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:14 AM
Soar Tow 2
West Jordan Utah
Joined Jul 2006
368 Posts
Hobby king also has the LSD (low self discharge) batteries, thety are the same as the enloop batteries and only 1.59 each. I have been using this battery for 2 years now because enloops got too pricey here in Utah.

Mike
mwgib123 is offline Find More Posts by mwgib123
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:37 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Just looked thru some photos from the US trip in April and found this one - a really nice shot.

From left to right: Alex (with RT30), me (with Scratcho), and Jarred (with my Compact BPV) with the "GGMB" about to walk up Weldon Level 3. "Normal" Weldon ridge in the background.
Hey, I guess I took this pic about the same time you took yours.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:50 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,531 Posts
Aw Stu that's amazing!

Hey just a heads-up that I've posted the first "Day of the Trip" video of the USA trip in the vids thread - the first coupla days when Jarred arrived and we first went to Parker and Weldon, before the arrival of Alex.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1645829&page=4
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:20 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,531 Posts
As posted in the Speed Oz forum, I have been itching for an “Extreme DS” trip to Mt Ngungun for some time. I’ve flown there a few times now, but it’s always been light wind. Although it's our most prevalent wind direction, we are starved of decent places to fly in SE’s so I have been hankering to know whether the DS at Ngungun works well when there’s a decent SE wind .Despite the uphill hike, the rocky top, and the fact that you’re flying next to the edge of a cliff – if it worked I’d go there on big days!

So I got up there mid-arvo. The SE wind was great – much stronger than any other day I’ve been there. I got to do some DSing, feeling like king of the world on top of a peak with clear blue skies and beautiful scenery laid out below me. I shot some video, and it tells the story.

A quick "Extreme DS" trip to Mt Ngungun 6Jul2012 (7 min 8 sec)
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:34 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,272 Posts
andrew great video thoroughly enjoyed the hiking up where you had to first place the camera then walk past again, was really great! thanks!
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:25 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,521 Posts
Ya reminds me of the show "Survivor Man". Unlike Bear Grills, he lugs around a bunch of cameras himself
and often sets up shots like that, cept he'll walk a couple hundred yards toward or away from the
camera, which means he's ultimately covering all that ground 3x every time.

So I'm wondering, with a frontside that steep, do you even need to dip down
below the horizon to cross the shear? Seems to me the shear angle should be so high
that you could make horizontal circuits, or even angle em up a bit.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:12 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,531 Posts
Ian, yes it did seem that the best power was when the laps were high and fairly flat. But I don't think the hill was the best model for a vertical induced shear, because it's a crown shaped ridge (curved) and the wind was a bit side-on, so I think there was a fair bit of slip along it, rather than directly being forced up and over it. I was getting a lot of wind standing on the ridge whereas I do remember that other days it's been dead from immediately behind the edge. So it would be good to try it again when the wind's more south. In summer we do get some big SSE days and that may be a bit better.

And yes, my legs do feel rather tired today which I'm attributing to doing a lot of the steep stuff twice! Plus, I'm a grandpa now too ...

It's relevant to note that when I designed the Scratcho, I initially wanted to call it the "Ngungun" because the idea was for it to be a moldie that's tough enough to fly there. But after a day or so I realized that nobody was ever gonna be able to say or spell Ngungun! So it continued in the "SC" series (after the SC1, 2, 3) but became Scratcho because it's scratch built, and my nickname for my mates from school is (still) Scratcho.
Last edited by AvB; Jul 06, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:50 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,322 Posts
Great Video Andrew,
I would be keen to come up there one day for one of your flying adventures.
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto