HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 04:30 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,006 Posts
Hi Will,

I am keen to do it all myself, nothing personal, just like it that way

It's just the next step for me, no time frame. Just like a new discipline of building and design work. I still design all my models with sketches and the ol' pencil and paper drafting. i need that next step.

I want to make some Corian molds for some future models.

I have nothing in terms of programs or software. I do have limited experience with CAD and other design software
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 06:21 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,271 Posts
well i found this video to be particularly interesting, specifically at 6:59, seems like an improved version of what i have seen done before. surely we can do this in dodgy zones to eliminate the possibility of a broken plane???

Incredible Unmanned Vehicles- UAVs and More (8 min 33 sec)
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old May 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJarred View Post
my camera doesn't auto focus very fast and i think this would be very important for ds planes.
Just found this thread, so I will give a few answers/insights.

First, Congrats Jarred on that Whistler video, another awesome one that confirms clearly that you have talent for composition and editing. Well 3rd in the contest confirms it too.

On the focus and DS. Careful the issue most likely is not speed of focus, but focus tracking and the like. Let me explain:
Focus can be fast (or slow) but is usually in a narrow beam and may not be tracking. So the blurriness you experience is not necessarily due to focus slow speed, but rather the lost of "target" it keeps switching focus between the plane and some background and changes target too fast to track. also the camera you have may not have a tracking mode, (kind of identifying the subject and keeping a moving focus (servo mode)). Some DSLR have an option for that (fast moving objects tracking) but there is still the issue of keeping the camera tracking the object (in the viewfinder ) which is not too easy with DS I assume.

Now DSLR versus normal cameras have a focus speed issue (they usually are slow comparatively) so beware in case of choice (between a DSLR that takes movie, and a real video camera).

On the issue of what camera. The consideration is as follows. What is great about your camera (pocket one) is that you always have it, it's convenient and thus you can do a lot with it. Quality is acceptable.
A specific gear is heavy and bulky, so it's only great when you're set to do something in particular, otherwise you almost never use it (don't carry it, cannot set it up, etc..). For example you'd be careful to go skiing with it and so on. But quality is better and it allows for wider creativity.
It's a balance.

For cheap cameras yet of acceptable quality this guy has good reviews:
Crocolis HD Extreme Cam - A review (24 min 14 sec)

For photography tips, techniques, and even hardware info, here is a site I really like:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm
Michael V is offline Find More Posts by Michael V
Last edited by Michael V; May 13, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
SO If i want to do some computer design work for airframes, to then finally convert to an ISO program for a CNC mill to read, where do I start?

I have CNCs at work, I may as well use them!!!!
OK so there are tons of CAD software out there, and then CAM (for the machining part). Of course there are as many preferences as there are users, and the old classics always have a hard resistance on the market (I'm speaking of Autocad).

My advice for a novice, for price, for platform would be Sketchup (Google). That is what I use and I've worked with many CAD software. It's modern, intuitive, flexible and free, and it has lots of possibilities. Even better if it doesn't do something, and you know programming, then you can just write a script for it (more on that later).

The top pro CAD software is probably solidworks, but limited in platforms (no Mac, I don't know about Linux), and very expensive, and may not be as intuitive as one may like either, it's for engineers.

Anyway Sketchup is perfect for designing model foam planes and the like. It's not a champion when it comes to complex surfaces. It will require quite a few plugins (pieces of code that one adds, that have been written by users) and is not 100% easy for complex surfaces. Complex surfaces though are never really easy to work with (at least for mechanical engineers).

For manufacturing you then need to translate your 3D model into Gcode (for the CNC). that is not a simple process either as tooling, constraints, processes come into play.
Typically Sketchup can export to DXF (a common 3D model standard) and STL (Stereolithography standard (the 3D printer type of file)). that should be sufficient for some other software (CAM) to import and generate the machining code. It's never as smooth as it should be, and I have not done it with Sketchup so I'm not sure how easy or not it would be. It all depends but the answer can be found on the internet.

Speaking of Sketchup, creating a wing is the hard part (at least with an accurate profile) but I'm currently working on a solution (programming the code) stay tuned. Fuse is not easy either (complex surfaces again), but there are solution yet again they require plugins (the standard set will be too limited) and practice to understand and know how to do.

Also Sketchup has a huge library of stuff already available (that people have made and uploaded) so there is quite a bit you don't have to redo (Servos, motors, etc.. sometimes although those are really easy to make)

Here is some insight as to what can be done too (not too hard either, but they still make it look a lot simpler than it is when you have to do it (kind of like hey why didn't I think of that, after the fact it's like obvious, but before it's hmmmm!?):
(File too big to upload, can be found here but may need registering, that site will also have plugins, help, hints, etc... There are also many tutorial on the internet)
http://sketchucation.com/catchup/2011/10/
Last edited by Michael V; May 13, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
647 Posts
Also it you take at 120fps for slow motion it's better quality but isn't it twice as fast? So a compromise.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:23 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,006 Posts
We do the catch net here in NZ

Model catch net (0 min 4 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 01:45 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,271 Posts
alex, it just jumps from 1-4 seconds, cant watch in between, anyone else have this problem?
Old May 15, 2012, 02:17 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,006 Posts
Video must be corrupt
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 07:24 AM
the occasional flyer
Rexburg, ID
Joined Jul 2008
514 Posts
I can see it.. iPad..
rothlisburger is offline Find More Posts by rothlisburger
Old May 15, 2012, 08:26 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Works for me. Nice setup!
joe manor is online now Find More Posts by joe manor
Old May 15, 2012, 09:23 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,836 Posts
Not me...even worse today! Yesterday I could see the glider in the net on the ground at the end at least.
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old May 15, 2012, 05:52 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,006 Posts
Adjust quality to 240 and then it works. Stopped working for me today too till I did that
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,271 Posts
ahhh i got it now! nice!! definitely need to implement it!
Old May 21, 2012, 11:47 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,632 Posts
Will it DS?

This thing looks like a waste of time:

LARGE FLYING RC PAPER AIRPLANE (3 min 13 sec)
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old May 22, 2012, 08:15 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
I actually know the guy flying that. His name is Tony and he owns a local hobby shop.

Now for an epic fail. Skip to around 2.45 for the good stuff.

BMF On Tour - GO BIG Modelklubben Nordkystens bidrag - 19. maj 21012 (4 min 53 sec)
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell