HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 11:16 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
So the SX30IS has a CCD? I could find any confirming specs. Maybe I can buy a good used video camera on Ebay? I am interested in something nice. I think our DS community deserves so really good video quality. Maybe spend more money. Is it worth it to spend an extra 1K or should I just go for the SX30IS or similar. What about something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Panasonic-AG...id=p4340.l2644

If I bought a camera like that would I still need the new H2n and deadkitten? Or would I just use a deadcat on the onboard microphone?
The SX30IS has a CCD sensor. It's what I'm using now, but as I said it maxes out at 720p and there are
times that I wish I had 1080p when tracking small fast moving targets.

With a camera like the panasonic above, you should be able to get the dead cat on the onboard
mic, although hard to say if you'd get the high gain of the H2 or stereo imaging. Getting
rid of the wind noise goes a long way toward a quality DS vid though.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 11:17 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJarred View Post
Ian, i find with my camera that if i hit record sometimes it will start recording blurry and slowly adjust until it goes clear, but it is very slow, i focus it on something far away and as you say it should focus and it does
Does it not have a manual focus option?

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 01:13 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
So, is there any benefit to the image stabilization feature Ian? I understand what its for, but you say to turn it off. What if we are slightly zoomed in and filming with the SX30IS. Will it help? As of now I plan to pick one up. Im a little confused as to why it is the only sub $1000 camera using the CCD. I would never have guessed as there are so many cameras to choose from. Do you have the stock battery? What size storage do you use? Thanks.

Joe
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old May 10, 2012, 03:13 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Here is something interesting. I figured I would try to use my current camera first before getting a new one. This was last week. This is the camera I have used for all of my build threads over the years and it takes great photos. I tried to take a couple videos with it in my backyard panning back and fourth the other day and they looked crappy. Anyway, just now I lookied up the specs on it and it has a CCD sensor! Maybe it has horrible specs for the video or shutter speed? Can you guys help me figure out why this camera is so poor? Im ready any time to get the SX30IS but just want to be sure I dont already have a suitable camera before I do. Here it is.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...sp?id=936&fl=4
Old May 10, 2012, 03:30 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,478 Posts
Quote:
So, is there any benefit to the image stabilization feature Ian? I understand what its for, but you say to turn it off. What if we are slightly zoomed in and filming with the SX30IS. Will it help? As of now I plan to pick one up. Im a little confused as to why it is the only sub $1000 camera using the CCD. I would never have guessed as there are so many cameras to choose from. Do you have the stock battery? What size storage do you use? Thanks.

Joe
Image stabilization is most useful when you're hand holding a shot of a still subject (think
of a wedding, or long zoom on your kids on stage.. etc).
It tends to get in the way when you're trying to pan and tilt quickly to follow a fast moving target.
Sometimes it's smart enough to recognize that you want to pan, but other times it will
cause a jumpiness as it stabilizes (image stops panning briefly), then skips forward..
stabilizes again, and so forth. The SX cameras have the option to stabilize in all directions,
or only vertically, which allows for unrestricted horizontal panning to follow fast moving action
while reducing some of the hand shake vertically. Best stabilization is still a steady hand.
I usually hold the camera up in front of me with tension on the neck strap.

Stock battery is good and lasts a long time. I bought some extra batteries on amazon
with a bit higher capacity.
Storage has been going up over the years. 8GB has been my staple for a couple
years (good for about 45 minutes of HD video), and now I've bought some relatively
inexpensive 16GB SD cards also from amazon (had to film a family wedding recently and
needed more space, although the whole wedding pretty much fit on one 16GB card).

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 03:37 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,478 Posts
Quote:
The problem here (as with most older digital still cameras with a video mode) is that
it's just very limited. Highest video resolution is 640x480 (aka 480p) at a whopping 15
frames per second. That's not enough to catch fast moving planes.

The SX30IS's best is 720p (1280x720@30fps) and the SX40HS is 1080p (1920x1080p@24fps)
with some so motion options at 640x480@120fps and 320x240@240fps.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 03:41 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,478 Posts
BTW, here's a pretty good explanation of why CMOS is dominating the camera sensor market.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/24693...heres_why.html
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 03:47 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Ok, this is what I will get. It looks like I should pick up the memory card and carrying case as shown below for $467.80. what do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-SX30IS-D.../dp/B0041RSPR8
Old May 10, 2012, 04:05 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,478 Posts
Surprised it's selling for that much, as it's not a new model and the SX40 HS is selling for $100 less.
Could save $150 buying one used.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 04:09 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Yeah, I dont know. I guess its worth the extra $150 to have a new one for me. Thanks for the time on this guys. I will order one up now. Then try to figure out how to use it. Please be prepared for more dumb questions. Thanks again!

Joe
Old May 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,272 Posts
hey asto cheers man! i am back home haha, maybe cactus on monday? (cant sunday, as its mothers day...)

the program i used for editing is final cut pro x, but there is better out there i'm sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeasto View Post
Hey Jarred,

That's first prize in my view.
I've got some video for you to edit when you get back home. It's. from 2011 DS Fest

ian, my camera can manual focus if you install chdk on it. dont know if you have heard of chdk but it looks pretty good, unfortunately they dont have a firmware version for my specific camera. lots of good feature but...

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old May 10, 2012, 08:11 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,478 Posts
Ya, I'm familiar with CHDK. I've considered installing it on my camera for some of the timelapse
options and for photographing lightning (it can sit idle shutter open, see a flash of light,
and take a photo in time to capture the bolt of lightning).

Anyway, manual focus is very useful for videoing most action sports, because very little
happens inside the first 20-30 feet.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 09:56 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,299 Posts
SO If i want to do some computer design work for airframes, to then finally convert to an ISO program for a CNC mill to read, where do I start?

I have CNCs at work, I may as well use them!!!!
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 01:00 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,272 Posts
i can't help you with that one alex :P maybe someone lurking can
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old May 12, 2012, 04:19 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
SO If i want to do some computer design work for airframes, to then finally convert to an ISO program for a CNC mill to read, where do I start?

I have CNCs at work, I may as well use them!!!!
What you after Alex

I can do CAD!
pending time frame, maybe we can collaborate.
you will need some one to do the cutter paths, post process into iso.

If you wanted to do it your self, have a look in the CAD section. http://www.rcgroups.com/cad-cam-660/
Loads of support on programs / how to's and every thing you need to get going.
Consider what you use at work too, as this could open doors.

Will
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton