HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bsbauman, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 09, 2012, 06:51 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
Discussion
Fabric covered 1/4 scale J-3 Cub

I will be posting up many more pics and video when I can get her in the air and in some good light.

This is my new H9 1/4 scale J-3 Cub purchased at SEFF 2012.

cub walkaround (1 min 31 sec)

After seeing this plane at SEFF on an Orange Rx (with 400+pilots), I knew I had to buy this plane before it met its demise.... here is the history I know and what I have learned after a thorough going over.

What I know:

The original builder passed away before it was completed. He recovered the entire plane in fabric; a set of J-3 plans and 2 views (top and profile) was used as a guide for the rib detailing and stitch work. The stitching was a rather clever DIY method I will share in the H9 J-3 Review thread by Michael Heer later (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698597).

The original builder tediously recovered ever square inch of the interior in expert fashion and I was told did the majority of the rib-work. I am not sure if these seats were recovered, but they are different than the seats pictured in the review. Mine are white leather with black piping. Also all hardware is heavy-duty quality stuff and beefier hinges with metal pins were used

The gentleman who completed the plane is who I bought it from. I was told it has around 15 flights.

What I discovered and assume:

There is a significant mix of high quality and dogpoop electronics- the guy I bought it from flew it on Orange Rx's. There is an E-Flite Power 110 with a CC HV ESC up front, Spektrum Servos in the wings, and PowerHD servos in the tail.

I assume the original builder who put all this time into the plane bought the wing servos, motor, and esc. I am assuming the guy with the Orange installed the PowerHD servos- on a side note I have had some success with Power servos, but I did manage to strip 4 while at SEFF this year when my wing went in... but that's another tale.

What I have done/ what am I doing?

Immediately, I removed the Orange Rx and replaced with a Futaba FASST full range Rx. Before I fly, I would like to replace the 3 PowerHD servos in the tail with something I will be more confident to fly for years.

The wheels are I believe Dubro, but while they look nice, they are a funky rubber that develop flat spots if sitting on the wheels for even a few minutes. I would be very appreciative of any suggestions for alternative Cub wheels... Bigger the better.

Callie is sending me some scraps to see how well it takes to the fabric covering I have. I am hoping the areas over the ribwork and detailing dont look odd under the vinyl, we will test.

The next part I could really use some help with. Do any of you know where I could find 1/4 scale Cub cockpit accessories, like throttles for the front and back pilots, rudder pedals, fuel on/off lever, stabilizer trim, etc.???

Any direction here would be awesome and just what this ship needs.

It does look so clean... but I am on the fence about weathering the model. If I do, I know I have some good mentors to call on for lessons/assistance- that kinda means these guys: Pecan Patch (that was plain foam before he got his brush on it) and WebDr

I will be flying this plane on two 8s123 batteries, as they fit fully enclosed in the nose, and will also try two LiPo batteries for an 8s ship for fun- but batteries will stick out into the cockpit.

oh... some numbers:

With a starting voltage of 27.9v, WOT on the ground drew only 47 amps and put out 1121 watts with the 20x8 prop...Probably not enough power for me, but I will need to play with different prop and motor combos...

That's all for now!

I do love this cub, should be flying this weekend!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 02:43 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
765 Posts
I quite enjoyed that video but not so much because of the cub but more because of the surrounding scenery.

When I first saw the light in the corner, I only noticed the top part and wondered what sort of light it was, only later did I realize it was a wing. Then as the camera panned around and I saw the models throughout, especially in the kitchen, I chuckled to myself as that's often the look in our house. Thankfully my wife is very understanding.

Up to a point.

The first decent sized electric I built was a 1.5 metre wingspan conversion of what usually has a .40 sized motor. When I finally tested the motor, I did it in the kitchen where I'd assembled the model on the breakfast bar. When the motor rushed to life, papers that were nearby flew into the air, my wife let out a screech and disappeared upstairs while I stood there with a grin from ear to ear.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old May 10, 2012, 03:07 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
I just laughed out loud at my desk!

Definitely one of the perks of bachelorhood is noone to yell at me when I do run-ups on the coffee table- Kitchen is the woodshop, living room is the assembly line and bedroom is the hangar TV, couch, chairs, ottoman are all on wheels to move out of the way to work on biggies...

it is tough living in a 750sf apartment with 4 giants; heck do you know how hard it is to make an 85 inch wing disappear?!?!

Alongside the Cub in the living room, I have a TF 1/5 giant scale P-47 with a G-62 Ralph Cunningham Lite engine, in the bedroom I also have an EF 70" Extra 300, Windrider Queen Bee (100 inch), a Sundowner 50 and my nightflyer. In the entrance, I have a 70mm Venom F-86 with Flaps, air retracts, and air brakes. This is such a f'd up addiction... I have an urge to add a DLG to the mix but I must stop buying!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined May 2008
765 Posts
Cool collection. 100 inch queen bee is huge, didn't know about that model. How do you go about launching it? Overhead toss? Side toss?

I've just received a zephyr2 which is waiting on the go pro I get for my birthday in 2 weeks. I'll have to sort out launching it. The hand launch stuff I've flown to date is a fair bit smaller, no more than 40 inch wingspans so they've been easy to launch.

I am running out of space to store my planes, I'm fortunate in that we have a 3 bedroom house and the kids are no longer living at home, we are both finding out that we need more space to cater for our hobbies.

Most of my planes are 40 to 60 size so around 60 to 80 inches but I have a 118 inch Cessna Bird dog scratch built under construction and a 110 inch DHC-2 Beaver awaiting a float plane conversion. Floats sure add to the size of a plane, the floats for the Beaver are about 40 inches long each.

Sure is a great addiction. I store my main / regular planes along the garage wall, but hope to get a shipping container soon to move the hobby out of the house / garage.

Life is good!
Old May 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
The Queen is a monster... it is down at the moment- I stripped all servos 20 seconds into this last flight Sunday morning at seff. I chucked the battery- new 35/70c nanoTech 6s 5000mAh lost:
SEFF 2012 Queen Bee Throwing a battery (3 min 1 sec)

Mine is also for FPV with gopro as well here is my mount below.

I cannot toss it myself, but usually a spotter will give it an overhand toss unpowered, it gets on the wing immediately then I power out. it is awkward though as it is large.

It is soo foolish. I choose my last car based on which trunk I could put my AMR bipe in while leaving the wings on and not having to fold down the seats- the stuff we do for our hobby
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined May 2008
765 Posts
Thanks. What would cause all servos to strip?

Just this morning I was listening to the crash cast report on seff. Sounds like a lot of fun, a bit far away for me ;-)

My latest car purchase was a 2 door jeep wrangler. I thought about checking how my planes would fit but really wanted the wrangler after having a CJ7 previously. As it turns out, most of my stuff fits easily.
Old May 10, 2012, 05:56 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
Thanks. What would cause all servos to strip?
When I threw the battery off the plane, I lost all control... I think it was the impact
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined May 2008
765 Posts
Ah, now I understand, thanks for clarifying. What sort of flight times were you expecting with the 5000mah battery?

For my zephyr i'm either going to use a pair of 5 cell 3000mah or 4 cell 2800mah wired in parallel (I think) and should get 20 to 30 minute flight times. I'm hoping to rig it so I can fly with just one of the batteries except for when I want really long flights. Usually a 10 minute flight is enough for me.

The zephry has a wide equipment bay so I'm working on having the battery set right on top of the cg so i can add one or two batteries as needed
Old May 10, 2012, 06:31 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
I really have not had it up enough to know... but I think I can go for more efficient setup, put on one of my folding props, lighten it up a bit, etc.

I am using a Scorpion 4025-12 swinging a 16" prop. 15 mins maybe less. eek not much for a big wing

I am going to have to make some major power system and battery changes if I am going to stretch the legs out on my Dragonlink and lawmate 1.2g 1000w. it has about 10-15 mile range but I dont think I will have the batteries to go out that far
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined May 2008
765 Posts
Thanks