HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Sep 2006
886 Posts
Discussion
LHS willing to let me upgrade radio in apprentice for price diff which one to get?

hey guys my LHS is willing to let me trade in the dx5 and upgrade to another radio of my choosing if I want. I am wondering what radio I should get. I am only considering this as some of the other planes I have looked at say they require 6 channels. this will be my first plane and was recommended by one of the guys that I trust at the LHS.
hazegry is offline Find More Posts by hazegry
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 05:07 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,826 Posts
I would recommend that you get at the very least a DX6I. If you are serious you will need those channels and the 6I will carry you quite a way.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old May 09, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Sep 2011
26 Posts
I'll Second the 6i
paxskipper is offline Find More Posts by paxskipper
Old May 09, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Sep 2006
886 Posts
ok I think I will start with the 6i its only 100 more to switch it so it makes the plane 399
Old May 09, 2012, 08:15 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
The radio you should get ultimately depends on what sort of planes (or helis) you're hoping to fly in the future and of course what feels comfortable in your hands. The DX6i will fly almost any of the bind-n-fly stuff offered by horizon.

If you get the DX7s or DX8 you'll get virtually unlimited model memory with their SD card slots among a number of other things. The DX6i only has 10 model memory and no SD slot to expand it.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old May 11, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Sep 2006
886 Posts
well went and talked to them again today it looks lie I will be going with a dx7 and the apprentice for 499. I am basically looking to just fly around I would like to get a eflite shoestring in the future but thats just because I like the planes looks I have no desire to race I would put a 15 power plant in it if I got one. I also like the warbirds and wouldnt mind having a few of those as well but for now I am going to focus on getting the apprentice and getting comfortable flying.