SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Discussion
New at all this. Here's my P-40

My 3rd balsa model- first attempt at sharing.
jeff69 is offline Find More Posts by jeff69
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
P-40

Here's a few more. Going well. Working on wing now. More pictures soon.
Old May 09, 2012, 06:07 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
looks pretty. if thats the stock wood it may come out heavy.
what electronics are you planning?
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old May 10, 2012, 01:32 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Welcome to RCgroups!

If you're going the 3 channel route, then the dihedral is OK.

Looks great by the way,

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old May 10, 2012, 05:42 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Awesome stuff Jeff69,

Love the black & white shots. Very nostalgic for me as the Guillows P40 was one of my first low wing FF rubber plane builds way back in the 70's when I was just a kid. I still remember standing at one end of my parents garden and launching it skywards. It only flew for 10-15 seconds but it was worth it!

Please keep posting progress. Would love to see how it turns out and how it flies as an RC conversion.

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old May 10, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
P-40

Thanks fellas. It is the stock wood and boy they aren't kidding when they call it die-crushed. Sometimes I can see it ripple as I'm cutting it off the panels. First two kits were laser cut, what a difference. Chose this as a sort of primer for the next one. Haven't tried covering any with anything but the rice paper they come with and that's my main mission here. I'm taking all suggestions on easy yet sturdy coverings as well as simple motor, esc, servo etc. set-up. (Do they make a combined package for anything like that, I guess turn-key would be the word?) I'm just gonna go three channel by the way. See ya real soon.

Jeff
Old May 11, 2012, 01:30 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
as for coverings, try esaki tissue. shortysbasement.com has some. delt with them before.
ar6400 brick works real nice, tho i dont like the noise, but the weight can be beat.
servos? try hk5320's great, quiet, cheap. from china. some people see them here.
reciver? there is teh '64, but i like the dt Rx43, but its 50$ and weights .6g with 2a brushed esc need some smd soldering for the esc.
ther is alwasy the hobbyking r415. nice 2g esc.
esc? there is the xp3a BL esc, and a 3A brushed esc. pretty much the only 1S esc out there main stream that i know of.

2S would rock, but i know little about that.
i get a r415 and 3 hk servos brand new, pm me if you want.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:01 AM
Wait till ya see MY flying
France
Joined Mar 2011
28 Posts
Wow, Nice P-40!

It's ironic because I've just started a thread on my own home designed micro P-40. What's the wingspan and weight of yours? I'm looking at a wingspan of 41cm and my fuselage is looking to be under 15g fully planked in 1mm balsa but with no radio.

I'd love to see the differences in yours and mine.
Stuntman Smithy is offline Find More Posts by Stuntman Smithy