Yes 71 84.52%
No 13 15.48%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old May 17, 2012, 11:21 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
cheap glue caddy by fourmost http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/for/for158.htm I have always wanted to buy a fourmost angle cutter/sander ,i have a builder buddy that swears by them .http://www.hobbylinc.com/Fourmost_Hand_Tools
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; May 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
No Its Dangerous if you Do it Wrong...
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old May 17, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
Nice to see the prop done inspiring me to go and make one
RCTP-it ain't all that....I was surprised at how easily the second blade came in,after the trauma of the first....It's like OMG !-I'm building a prop !,when it's really just another thing.
I fogged on a coat of clear finish for now.
What's really surprising is that mine looks just like the manufactured ones,when finished.
Go for it.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old May 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Wagliderguy....thanks for checking in,and explaining your vote.
The understanding of the proposed forum was to narrow down the avenues to scratch building, and drawing your own plans, to one location.
If you read the proposal,and subsequent replies,you know that I'm an advocate of enforcing the rules.
I'm afraid some other forums become disjointed and lose track of the original intent,or expand rather than close the forum,when the subject has run it's course.
Beginning with a 3 view line drawing,scaling it to the desired size,and filling it with structure,would be contained in one forum,rather than scattered about,as it is now.This operation applies to all forms of modelling,so could be a 'one stop shopping'experience.
Along your apparent line of interest is the gentleman installing a balsa nose on a fiber glass glider fuse,after it's being damaged.
Skillful craftsmen,as he is,could be in a single place,rather than sprouting their own discussion,causing yet another search to find that thread..
I voted no, as well, for the reasons mentioned by the other no voter. Let me say I fly a lot of ARFS, but also do a fair amount of scratch building, both in balsa and other flying model media: foam, fiberglass, plastic. In fact, I make my living as a model engineer for a large aerospace company and scratch build things all the time.

Here is an example of my balsa scratch building "creds": My Beriev Be-200 was built starting with a scale three view and was done in 100% balsa, ply and light ply: no plastic, no fiberglass, no carbon fiber, no laser cut parts and almost no plans...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=be+200

I personally think that it makes much more sense to group models by type than by construction material. I would rather find all scale projects in one spot, than have to look in several forums....ditto on sailplanes, ditto on sport models, and so forth.

If all the most feverent devotees to balsa scratch building go off and create their own forum and post everything in there, I think it will lessen the exposure that the typical "new" modeler gets to these great techniques. What will happen to cross pollenation of techniques in various model media and the education of new builders?

I think too many forums overly fragments the content on R/C groups. Perhaps differentiation of projects within a forum could be done with the type of tags currently applied at the start of the thread...discussion, mini how-to, etc. Perhaps a tag for balsa scratch builds/kits, a tag for arfs, a tag for in each special interest forum could be part of the solution, especially if the fourms could be made searchable by the tags. Would that not solve the problem?

I thnik a very nice scale scratch build/own design project might be posted in this new balsa forum and get overlooked by the other members interested in scale models that do not frequent the new forum.

Are we going to end up subdividing the new balsa forum into frums covering balsa models covered in heat shrink covering, vs models fiberglassed and painted, or covered in fabric and dope? Where does it end?

I find it interesting that cracksmeup thinks a no vote comes only from a "drive by low life". Please be advised that I gave this matter thoughtful consideration, previously mentioned my thoughts on one the several threads discussing this new forum. Your assumptions are completely invalid and quite frankly, insulting.

I stand by my no vote and hope others vote no as well.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; May 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
Thomas, very well spoken. Where can a guy post a balsa scratch build, not of a scale, not sport, not trainer, not a wing, own design, high wing pusher prop, motor mounted up behind the wing, camer plane, it may look like a sailplane but it's just not, weighing 8 pounds and cruises 50 mph. The plane is for purpose not pretty. I was waiting to post in the new balsa scratch build fourm, but you make some pretty good points.

Quote:
Perhaps a tag for balsa scratch builds/kits, a tag for arfs, a tag for in each special interest forum could be part of the solution, especially if the fourms could be made searchable by the tags. Would that not solve the problem?
Over at Youtube some smart *sses will plaster false tags to get views, I hope that doesn't happen here.
scallopking is offline Find More Posts by scallopking
Old May 17, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,457 Posts
And of course ,when the OP gets the 50 required votes,having met the rules of merit,you will have the option of checking in on occasion,to see if the intent is failing.
The desire of the OP as I see it,is to scratch build from plans of no particular aircraft style...The build option is by the person who follows the suggestions laid down by contributors, who offer differing ways to do it.
It doesn't matter what type aircraft model is being represented,the thread will show the neophyte how to get started....beginning with 3-views,ending with workable plans.
Generic plans will show what is involved in building your own design,which is what the OP desired to accomplish.....sort of a wide range view of a narrow road . -How to do it,not WHAT to build.
We're offering the talents of many accomplished modelers ,wishing to extend their experience to those unfortunate enough to not know how to take the first step to bringing a dream to reality.
We appreciate your input,however,since that enables us to address reticent views.
I believe we're actually narrowing down a search area,to balsa scratch building,encompassing a variety of views.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; May 17, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
I believe we're actually narrowing down a search area,to balsa scratch building,encompassing a variety of views.
Thats what I wanted to say. Oh wait, post #42

Quote:
The Fourm would also cut down on the searching through RCG mumble jumble when your just looking for a new idea to use that balsa on.
scallopking is offline Find More Posts by scallopking
Old May 17, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,457 Posts
Scallopking-you are the idea behind what we are trying to accomplish- an aircraft that fits nowhere comfortably,but will be at home here,because it,s a scratch-built generic airplane.-nuff said.
An unnamed niche-ne;"tag"
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 04:38 AM
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
Yes. Great idea. Same building as a hobby!
TheRealMrEd is online now Find More Posts by TheRealMrEd
Old May 18, 2012, 05:27 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMrEd View Post
It's interesting to me that someone with 7 posts in a year was motivated to get involved in something like this. Thank you .I guess we've sparked some interest of his.
Hi. What are your interests? What do you build,or what would you like to build?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 05:50 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMrEd View Post
welcome aboard mate
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old May 18, 2012, 06:09 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,457 Posts
Prop tests

So ,this morning,all motivated to test my homemade prop,I removed and cleaned the fuel tank in the old Telemaster ,which had sat idle since October.
I installed new lines and a filter,a new glow plug and tightened the prop one more time.
I filled the tank with new fuel,installed the glow driver,which I had charged all night,and tried to start the OS91.-Not a pop ! Nothing !
I took a new Glow plug and tried it in the driver....nada.-Apparently the battery has given up,although the indicater light had been on,showing a connection.
So it's off to the LHS at 10,to get a new Glowdriver. Darn darn darn.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 08:06 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
We're learning that DeeBee is a pessimist-nothing pleases him,that I've seen-but I'll bet he knows something about something that we don't.Once you learn how he speaks,and listen to him,he's not a bad egg.(Hi-DeeBee -lol) Get past the differences and Learn..
What do you build and fly,Dee Bee?
Hey epoxyearl - just returned to this thread after a few days to see how you are all getting on, but I just noticed your snide, childish comments and thought I'd reply (I haven't even posted on this thread since post #28 - what's wrong with you?).

As for being a pessimist, I've always tried to help people on RC Groups and learn from other people's advice. I gave my reasons for why I didn't consider the thread to be a good idea and I was subject to a temper tantrum from the OP so I figured to leave well alone.

In answer to your question, I've been a balsa builder for over 30 years. Probably built well over 200 planes, mainly R/C but many vintage free flighters, plus I have a couple of ARTFs.

BTW - Putting lol at the end of a character assasination doesn't make you any less of an a***hole for saying it!
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old May 18, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,457 Posts
I nailed that one -didn't I?
And you're the one who told me not to be so sensitive about remarks made on here.
The difference is,I accept my role in life.
Character assassination? Where? I don't see where anybody called you an axx hole...just pointed out you have a unique way of presenting yourself,emphasing my faults,and minimising your own.
Sad.
And I can take it without going to the moderators and reporting you,although if they see it and point you,I won't disagree. I Yam what I Yam.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; May 18, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,131 Posts
OK - so we've obviously wound each other up. You're the only person who's taken issue with me since I've been a member of RC Groups, and I've clearly annoyed you as well, so let's agree to play nice in future

We've probably got much more in common than our differences - deal?
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Closed Thread