Yes 71 84.52%
No 13 15.48%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old May 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Haha thanks for the shout out Epoxyearl . Any way with regards to your prop got any more pics, post them here if you want
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
Haha thanks for the shout out Epoxyearl . Any way with regards to your prop got any more pics, post them here if you want
Oh ! the pressure ! Sorry-today I'm making the hold-down fixture,so I can add templates to make the other side a close match.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old May 16, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
thats a shame but when their done make sure you post the pics
Old May 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,657 Posts
I was in a club with 4 premier SCale BUilders (Nats Champs and the like) and a lot of it rubbed off on me.
My best advice ever was when I told Bob Karllson I was overwhelmed by building a scale airplane.
In that soft voice of his,he said, "You don't build a whole plane-you build scale parts,one at a time"
He made his own tires.I haven't done that yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2012, 08:58 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
What lowlife did a drive by ,we have one no vote . There would be no reason to vote no unless you are flying arfs or building with foam. joe
Well I guess I should speak up considering I have just been called a 'lowlife' for voting in a poll...

I voted no because in my opinion, I think there are plenty of forums already out there for scratch builders (builder's workshop, scale electric, scale fuel, airliners, giant electric, giant fuel etc.) and a whole new forum would just add to the clutter and not attract attention. Also, the title is just way to broad and once again there are specific forums out there for scale, old timer, sport etc.

I have nothing against the OP or anyone as this is just a suggestion so it is kind of a turn off being accused of doing a 'dive by' (whatever that means - this is a forum right?).

Best of luck RC Trainer plane - your first scratch build is impressing me!

Ethan

BTW - I build airplanes both from wood and foam. I also own one or two ARFs. Whats the big deal?
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old May 17, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Fair enough you got your point across and we except that, I might consider making it just scratch builds . But hey what do you guys think ??

BTW what do you guys think of the Turnigy 9x transmitter??
Old May 17, 2012, 04:08 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,657 Posts
Wagliderguy....thanks for checking in,and explaining your vote.
The understanding of the proposed forum was to narrow down the avenues to scratch building, and drawing your own plans, to one location.
If you read the proposal,and subsequent replies,you know that I'm an advocate of enforcing the rules.
I'm afraid some other forums become disjointed and lose track of the original intent,or expand rather than close the forum,when the subject has run it's course.
Beginning with a 3 view line drawing,scaling it to the desired size,and filling it with structure,would be contained in one forum,rather than scattered about,as it is now.This operation applies to all forms of modelling,so could be a 'one stop shopping'experience.
Along your apparent line of interest is the gentleman installing a balsa nose on a fiber glass glider fuse,after it's being damaged.
Skillful craftsmen,as he is,could be in a single place,rather than sprouting their own discussion,causing yet another search to find that thread..
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 07:23 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
thats a shame but when their done make sure you post the pics
Well,it turns out that the prop has nearly finished it's construction,and we're nearing the final sanding..Either I'm extremely lucky,or good,because when I did the preliminary balance,it was on the money.
When the last sanding is done,I'm going to flood the center section out to about 2" past center,with thin C/A,to strengthen the wood in that area.

The prop will be painted Blue and Yellow,to match the airplane.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 07:26 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
Well I guess I should speak up considering I have just been called a 'lowlife' for voting in a poll...

I voted no because in my opinion, I think there are plenty of forums already out there for scratch builders (builder's workshop, scale electric, scale fuel, airliners, giant electric, giant fuel etc.) and a whole new forum would just add to the clutter and not attract attention. Also, the title is just way to broad and once again there are specific forums out there for scale, old timer, sport etc.

I have nothing against the OP or anyone as this is just a suggestion so it is kind of a turn off being accused of doing a 'dive by' (whatever that means - this is a forum right?).

Ethan

BTW - I build airplanes both from wood and foam. I also own one or two ARFs. Whats the big deal?
He has explained his side and i can except that .It was him not explaining and giving a no vote with out a reason why that got my fur up . Every one has their thoughts and thats fine but if this forum comes about i would not want to see him posting in it like nothing ever happened.
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old May 17, 2012, 07:36 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,657 Posts
It's all in communication...Speak your mind,but explain where you're coming from....I want to learn,and if you keep your thoughts to your self,it's like me skipping school.
We're learning that DeeBee is a pessimist-nothing pleases him,that I've seen-but I'll bet he knows something about something that we don't.Once you learn how he speaks,and listen to him,he's not a bad egg.(Hi-DeeBee -lol) Get past the differences and Learn..
What do you build and fly,Dee Bee?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,657 Posts
The prop is nearing completion.Second picture-too much sun,not enough skill.....it don't look like that!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post

Ethan

As far as clutter and to many forums ,we click buttons on our computers, it;s not like we are walking 10 miles to get to a differerent room . The foam builders have their own forums we need a balsa only forum we were here first and got tossed to the side with no place to go. We are scratch builder's of balsa . I use both balsa and foam but i go to the foam section when talking about foam built planes with this balsa only section i can come here with others who know balsa. joe
Old May 17, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,657 Posts
And furthermore,we're just a wealth of information.I just discovered by accident,that 4 oz bottles of C/A will stand trapped inside a coffee can.No more falling over and spilling on the work,or bench.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,424 Posts
I make my own glue on the horse ranch. just kidding joe
Old May 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Apr 2012