Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Around what size and pitch are you aiming at paul bunion.
I made a practice one of poplar,not to use,but to practice on,without ruining my Beech-pun intended-
I'm making a 16" x 4" pitch for the enlarged Sparky,with an OS.91,because the original used a handmade prop also.
Did'ja know the landing gear was so far ahead on those old timers to protect those hand carved props? Uncontrolled,they could land at a pretty good angle endangering all that work/fun.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
epoxyearl I want to be a part of this new fourm when it's up and running but I don't want to have to pay you to build my ideas for me. I am only a beginner with 18 years on and off in the hobby and never have I carved my own prop or even thought about it. I afraid you may set the bar high and you will be all alone with a few onlookers wanting to post their builds but do not qualify because of their craftsmanship.

Earl do you grow your own balsa trees. Thats a way you could insure moderen tools and techniques do not have a big impact on your builds. If the home carved prop becomes mandatory, how long do I need to season my beech for. Beech grows slow here in the North so it my be a litter denser than yours. I would say that it might take a bit longer. HaHa having fun here. I want to see that prop fly. I haven't the time to look elsewhere for a guy that's carved his own prop before, I want to tell everyone how smooth it was.

Well Earl, you have intrigued me, I going over to check out your blogs.
scallopking is offline Find More Posts by scallopking
Old May 14, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,955 Posts
scallopking,I'm 71 years old,with that many years' accumulated experience.When my brother and I needed props in the 50's,we made them ourselves. We didn't have people with engineering degrees looking at our work under high powered machines,looking for sanding scratches that were too deep.
It seems to be all about the machined ,burled maple,grown without nitrogen,on the north side of a hill.
But we didn't know all that,you see,so we tried white pine,because that was what we had.and it worked.We had to tighten the nut every flight,but the props didn't fly apart.
That brings us here. Don't be daunted by what I do.You get here if you want to..
My biggest hindrance was,and IS ,the guys that say it can't,or shouldn't be done.
Safety is the biggest concern,and if you keep that in the equation,the rest will work out.
Look at the comments on my prop,currently....they are all about the prop being dangerous,a hazard. Where did that come from? Nobody wants to be the one who says 'go for it'.But me.
Join us,and draw your own conclusions,but keep an open mind.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,955 Posts
And scallopking,this isn't my idea,(the forum) but I'll run with it alongside the OP.
And he needs you to say 'yes' as a vote.
Lots to be learned and shared here, none of the least of which ,is "WHY NOT"?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 02:44 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
I might consider making a prop for my plane, it would give it a nicer look . By the way What is the best wood to use
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old May 15, 2012, 05:58 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,955 Posts
I'm not an expert on wood selection,or their properties.But I can see.....
By and large,the props built by manufacturers are of Maple,and Beech.I don't know what wood Xoar uses in theirs,but it's sure pretty.

I overheard two Vintage Airplane folks talk about 'finger nail' wood.....-If you can't mark it with your finger nail,it's hard enough.

Time for a disclaimer here.....I'm not advocating the use of any wood..I'm not suggesting that you make your own prop.I'm showing you what I'm learning, is all.

I will not argue the Woods'suitability,but I will bring you the results as I get them.
Probably, the better props are laminated,of the same wood,or of differing colors for contrast.Please note that the lighter colors are used as the top and bottom layers in the second choice,as they are usually the harder of the two.

Laminated props are expensive to manufacture,because of the time involved, but are somewhat easier to carve by hand,because the lines ,when matched side to side indicate a "twin" blade..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; May 15, 2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Removed an uncalled- for sentence.misunderstood post
Old May 15, 2012, 08:28 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
Earl you are cheating by using power tools ya need to hack one out like we did in the old days with a stone ax . lmao Back then we had no motors so we would run around the yard with our plane held high and make motors noises . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old May 15, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,955 Posts
We built Strombecker solid models with 2 cup holder eye bolts in the top fuselage.We'd disassemble an old car coil,and remove the wire windings.

Ralph would climb a tree as high as possible and fasten the wire there.When the model slid down the wire,it made a perfect landing every time....You remember Strombecker? Good job.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
I still have a orbit tube radio ,only one button push it once it would go left push it twice right . No elev or ail the wind gods controled the rest. lol Iam only in my 50's but i collect old rc planes and radios ,you cant go into the future without knowing your past. joe
Old May 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I still have a orbit tube radio ,only one button push it once it would go left push it twice right . No elev or ail the wind gods controled the rest. lol joe
The old 'pulse' system.....and escapements,with rubber motors.....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
The old 'pulse' system.....and escapements,with rubber motors.....
galoping gosts i think they were called i seen one working on u-tube . Alot of shaking going on.
Galloping Ghost Radio Control (2 min 3 sec)
Last edited by cracksmeup; May 15, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
I don't know what wood Xoar uses in theirs,but it's sure pretty.
Earl I was working for the goverment one time going door to door. Census work. This one fellow was in his shop and invited me in. This guy was like you, Old meaning wise and skilled. He was a craftsmen, spent his life working for millionaires building mansions, crafting everything by hand, cupboards moldings, and spiral starecases. I wish I counld show you the pictures he had. Getting paid pertty good by the hour, I was all ears. He took me to his house where he had lots of exotic woods from around the world layed out drying. This one plank caught my eye Pink Ivory. It's from south Africa. It sure wood make a nice prop. Looks like Xoars prop wood. There was also one other that was really nice. He was laminating it with white in colour hardwoods called Camatillo to make vases. It has that purple colour. It's from Mexico.
This guy had a plank of birds eye maple worth $10k. He had made a jewelry box, again I wish I had pictures.

Earl looking for some pertty wood, eat your heart out.

http://www.bellforestproducts.com/exotic-wood/
scallopking is offline Find More Posts by scallopking
Last edited by scallopking; May 17, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:01 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Haha great work guys we need to keep these votes coming in
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old May 15, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scallopking View Post
Earl I was working for the goverment one time going door to door.Census work. This one fellow was in his shop and invited me in. This guy was like you, Old meaning wise and skilled. He was a wood worker, spent his life working for millionaires building mansions, crafting everything by hand, cupboards moldings, and spiral starecases. I wish I counld show you the pictures he had. Getting paid pertty good by the hour, I was all ears. He took me to his house where he had lots of exotic woods from around the world layed out drying. This one plank caught my eye Pink Ivory. It's from south Africa. It sure wood make a nice prop. Looks like Xoars prop wood. There was also one other that was really nice. He was laminating it with white in colour hardwoods called Camatillo to make vases. It has that purple colour. It's from Mexico.
This guy had a plank of birds eye maple worth $10k. He had made a jewelry box, again I wish I had pictures.

Earl looking for some pertty wood, eat your heart out.

http://www.bellforestproducts.com/exotic-wood/
Thats how i started as a carpenter 30 plus years ago working on 18.000 sq ft homes in oakbrook IL .They would take me off other jobsites to go drill hardwear into 10.000 dollar front doors.lol I was young and afraid . lol joe
Closed Thread