View Poll Results: Do you want this forum
Yes 71 84.52%
No 13 15.48%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old May 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
Epoxyearl your right, what was I thinking (slap slap) After I looked at my post, saying words like scratch built balsa, and then going on to say it's alright to throw in a bit of plastic when wood is totaly possible is really outlandish. So without editing my prior post, not causing any harm to RcTrainerPlane's effort, I would like to recant a few words. I had his back on this from day one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1645225

Epoxyearl nice job on the cowling, very nice, I mean that. How did the wooden push rods turn out?
I'm kidding.
scallopking is offline Find More Posts by scallopking
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,245 Posts
Scallopking...I know what you're saying,and it's okay.I wanted to come on that strong right away,because I think we've been brainwashed into thinking we have to use the modern materials.
I realise we have to use metal pushrod ends,(although we CAN use spruce pushrods-gotcha-),and the hinges of our choice..WE can't make our own engines and radio systems,etc.-that's unrealistic.
From what I understand of the OP's idea,let's go back and actually show what to do,and how to do it,using just ply and balsa.
I have a thread on enlarging plans,at the builder's workshop,and reviewing that,I realised I showed WHAT I did,not HOW to do it! That should change with the new forum,when they approve it.
Let's agree to disagree when necessary,and stay on the straight and narrow.I want to see this happen...
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old May 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,321 Posts
I have two pieces of carbon fiber 1/8 x 6 inches long in my short solent so i guess ny 100 inch seaplane scratch build wont count ? The others who built this kept bumbing the elev and breaking it off because ivans planes plans call for very light material every where. I did not want mine to break so iam hoping we dont start nitpicking here before we even start. joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old May 13, 2012, 04:34 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
YES from me. I'm always interested in wood building tips and find some here and there but a dedicated forum would be great and easier to focus on what I'm interested in (and hopefully others).

Maybe some who visit it would be inspired to do their own also?

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old May 13, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
YES from me. I'm always interested in wood building tips and find some here and there but a dedicated forum would be great and easier to focus on what I'm interested in (and hopefully others).

Maybe some who visit it would be inspired to do their own also?

Robert
Happy to see you sighn up Robert . joe
Old May 13, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Well I felt bad because I didn't sign the petition some guy was peddling in front of the grocery store so I made up for that

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Happy to see you sighn up Robert . joe
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old May 13, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,321 Posts
I am guilty as charged Robert. lmao joe
Old May 13, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,245 Posts
Cracksmeup...from what I gathered,the OP wanted to kind of start over,from day one,with a fresh outlook.
I think we ought to inject some ideas to be considered as part of the forum,to clarify things to the fence -sitters.
You bring a lot to the table with your experience,so you can understand, if we start using modern materials-in the build-,we're defeating his purpose before we start.
I said earlier there are things we must use, realistically,eng., radio.,wire..But do you absolutely,positively, have to use carbon fiber for pushrods? At the cost of several grams,I believe spruce pushrods will be adequate.And I also believe those grams won't hurt the performance noticeably.
We have to keep reading his forum title,as we consider the options.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,321 Posts
I will not exclude any one who wants some carbon fiber to beef up balsa or ply that would break otherwise . I have a friend (merlyn) with a 125 pound beech starship and it was all balsa except for the tubes in his wing .He drew his own 25% plans and did the calks but wood would have never taken the stress.I will not exclude any one such as him for using carbon fiber so his wing wont snap off with 2 -da 85cc pushers trying to do so. We are now in 2012 and not in the 1940's gluing our planes with ambroid and using japanese silk to cover them. If this is the way this forum is heading i live in 2012 and refuse to return into the past . BTW i dont have carbon push rods i put two carbon strips behind the balsa on my elev stab so it wont snap off. Oh earl they had no fiberglass in the old days either when you could make a good one out of BALSA .lol http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581693
Last edited by cracksmeup; May 13, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,245 Posts
And you had to bring that up !
What I got was encouragement from the OP to give a hand in starting a forum in scratch building from your own plans. I agreed to help,if we kept it as "pure " as possible.
I agreed to that ,as building from kits is something I've lost interest in ,for myself.
My builds in other forums display a multitude of concepts,some of which I wanted to learn,to become well rounded.
I have nothing against how you build,what you build or what materials you use. (what a politician)lol,but OP wanted basics and I thought I could help.
My personal projects use all the 2012 products,including Stits finishing materials.
I don't want to return to the 40's,but it was a darn good place to start !
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,321 Posts
Its fine with me to keep it a pure as possible with out going over the deep edge and still using 2012 materials .Dont make me go through all your threads .lol My 2 years of arguing in the ama forum and the ama forum on rcu had to pay off one day. We are both builders and want our planes to last for a long time if that means using fiberglass or carbon fiber its all ok in my book , I dont want to go back to blowing up our trexler tires or escapment for our radios just to be true to the hobby. joe
Old May 13, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Its fine with me to keep it a pure as possible with out going over the deep edge and still using 2012 materials .Dont make me go through all your threads .lol My 2 years of arguing in the ama forum and the ama forum on rcu had to pay off one day. We are both builders and want our planes to last for a long time if that means using fiberglass or carbon fiber its all ok in my book , I dont want to go back to blowing up our trexler tires or escapment for our radios just to be true to the hobby. joe
I humbly bow to the king of argumentation ....maybe I 'm just tired......man do you remember that?Blow up the tire,twist the valve,and tuck it in the WOODEN wheel !..... good times.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,321 Posts
BTW my 4 cowls on my short are not plastic or fiberglass but a balsa wood baby. lol joe
Old May 13, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I humbly bow to the king of argumentation ....maybe I 'm just tired......man do you remember that?Blow up the tire,twist the valve,and tuck it in the WOODEN wheel !..... good times.
Yup, i looked at my buzzerd bombshell the other day and both tires were flat. joe
Old May 13, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,245 Posts
I just opened a tube of Duco cement,and wafted it under my nose..
I did the same thing with a tube of Ambroid.
I popped the lid loose on some Sig Nitrate dope,and breathed deeply.

.....maybe that's why I like the 40's and 50's style building....

Where's the OP? did he take the weekend off ?
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread