Yes 71 84.52%
No 13 15.48%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old May 12, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Deebee i think where we are all trying to get to is the same as the foam guys have and thats balsa kit built planes and balsa scratch built ones just like their foam forums. We have the builders scratch built planes but its the material we want ours to be about. Others chime in here, but thats how i see it ? Guys done scare off the new guys who drop in they might turn out to be breat balsa builders and we could steal some more from bashing foam.lmao joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; May 12, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,682 Posts
I build with Foam (depron, fff, dollar tree foam) but I would love to see this kick off. I love to see balsa builds from scratch. The internal construction is just amazing. I would build one and leave as is for display maybe in the near future when my skills improve ill start a small balsa build

But it's a deff YES on my part
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old May 12, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doushiyou12 View Post
I build with Foam (depron, fff, dollar tree foam) but I would love to see this kick off. I love to see balsa builds from scratch. The internal construction is just amazing. I would build one and leave as is for display maybe in the near future when my skills improve ill start a small balsa build

But it's a deff YES on my part
Internal construction
Old May 12, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,682 Posts
Niiiiiice
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old May 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Very nice pic
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old May 12, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Thanks guys my foam skills are not good but i do ok with balsa. joe
Old May 12, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
I love working with balsa here's a link to one of my balsa builds for you balsa fans out there. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1638287

Old May 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
I checked out you build rc trainer ,very nice job and you do very clean work . here is my last scratch build ,its a tidewater pronto supreme. It was my first trainer and it was the first plane i built 30 years ago .I seen the free plans come up and had to build my old friend. joe
Old May 12, 2012, 05:07 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,160 Posts
The balsa builders will generally want to report to the area with the respective "type" of balsa craft.. (glider, high performance, scale, etc.)
It is the logical position given the more limited numbers and specialized nature of such craft.
Seems like an uphill battle for the OP so let me help..

Personally, I would like to see the same sratch-builder revolution with balsa as has happened with the foam forum.
If such a place exist, it may inspire me to build another as I get to see other's balsa aircraft in more volume than I normally get to see in my limited searching.
One inspires another, resources are pooled, and that forum stays alive and well.
I know this presents an argument both ways, so I say YES.

I think it should be the "Balsa Builder's" forum to include everything balsa, kit or scratch built.
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old May 12, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
The balsa builders will generally want to report to the area with the respective "type" of balsa craft.. (glider, high performance, scale, etc.)
It is the logical position given the more limited numbers and specialized nature of such craft.
Seems like an uphill battle for the OP so let me help..

Personally, I would like to see the same sratch-builder revolution with balsa as has happened with the foam forum.
If such a place exist, it may inspire me to build another as I get to see other's balsa aircraft in more volume than I normally get to see in my limited searching.
One inspires another, resources are pooled, and that forum stays alive and well.
I know this presents an argument both ways, so I say YES.

I think it should be the "Balsa Builder's" forum to include everything balsa, kit or scratch built.
I can agree with that thinking
Old May 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
I agree to covering everything to do with balsa sounds better
Old May 12, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
I would like to see the word Kit maybe dropped from the Fourm. There is some skill required to build a kit, but anyone can go buy one, throw it together and go flying. That would get boring, the only thing that would change is the colour scheme. As far as balsa scale, balsa kit, balsa sport, balsa sailplane and whatever other balsa type there may be, let people put their build in the already existing Fourm unless it is a scratch build. Then they may chose to go here or there.
I would like to see this fourm stay a scratch build, own design whether be gas or electric. The fourm should bring new ideas and design to our hobby. Some of you older guys could dig through the pile, pull out an old idea whether it flew or not, tweek it and share the wealth of information thats accumulated over the years. The sharing of copyrighted plans is illegal, but personal plans, its up to the creator. This would give younger people a chance to see just how it's done and maybe try their hand at balsa instead of the hot wire. The Fourm would also cut down on the searching through RCG mumble jumble when your just looking for a new idea to use that balsa on. Also the fourm should allow other material, I can't see away around that, for instance a sailplane with a carbon boom. Plastic servo covers on the wing. Plastic or fiberglass engine cowling you guys get the idea.
Quote:
So is the proposition that we have a new 'Balsa and Lite Ply Scratch and Kit Build Forum' in addition to the existing Builder's Workshop forum, the definition of which is:

Discussion of RC model building techniques, including scratchbuilding, kits, plans, and related tools, machining, etc.

or is the intention that the the Builder's Workshop is duplicated just for Balsa and Lite Ply builds, which makes even less sense?
The existing Builder's Workshop forum is definded as stated above but seems so vast. I really don't need a lesson on a table saw or a band saw and I have already talked about the repetition of kit building. The last sentences in the above quote really doesn't make any sense, but that's just me maybe.
scallopking is offline Find More Posts by scallopking
Old May 12, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,467 Posts
I have to disagree with Scallopking already,and it's not even a forum yet..What part of balsa only,did you not understand?
A carbon fiber tail boom is fragmenting...pure and simple..new tools,new techniques,new safety concerns......now if you build the tail boom out of laminations,or a box type fuselage,that'll be a balsa build.

I'm talking about a build I did recently,a Ziroli F9F Panther....there isn't a straight piece of wood in that airplane..Strip planking around impossible compound curves,just made my heart soar.You can buy a fiberglass fuselage,but that's bordering on an ARF.
If it's going to be a balsa building forum,I'm in -if not,I'll sadly retract my vote.
See-that's with an iron hand.!
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; May 12, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
I still think that MikeRx has the best idea and everyone can hash out the rules later. We need to get the spot for us first then set some rules. BTW rc trainer plane has showed up some of us older builders by taking the time and guts to start all of this and i myself wanted to thank him. Very nice job sir. joe
Old May 12, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,467 Posts
Right.Sorry I didn't think of that.Did you follow his build? He can only advance the balsa building part of thr hobby,he just got in there and DID it.!
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Closed Thread