HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Do you want this forum
Yes 71 84.52%
No 13 15.48%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:32 AM
Flying Low
cbarnes0061's Avatar
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
580 Posts
I am looking forward to pulling this bird around with the 55. A buddy is coming over this afternoon to help me get it running and break it in. I have never messed with gas before other than my weed eater. My cowl plug might actually get scraped. I made it out of foam and then made mistake in covering it in water putty, then was going to sand it to the final shape before pulling a mold off of it. found out the hard way that water putty does not sand very well. I will redo it and I have gotten the advice of using drywall compound to sand easy. I may have made a mistake but I will learn from it.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:09 AM
Registered User
epoxyearl's Avatar
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,469 Posts
I made a balsa form for a 1/4 scale cessna 180 once....It looked so good on the outside,I hollowed it out,and fiberglassed it inside and out...
It wasn't all that heavy,and it was about the right amount of nose weight too.

Now ,I'm trying the blue foam....It works well,and sands about like medium balsa.

I can't get restarted yet...sufferin' burnout !
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
Earl RCTrainerPlane is a young free spirited youth and is headed in an unforeseen direction dissimilar to yourself, who is like an old dog loyal and settled, relaxing on the porch waiting for something to excite him, I’m kidding Earl.

Always to the point, no offence RCTP, but I think that given your exciting life that’s awaits you, Earl may be better suited to run the new forum in your honour and take it to the “Head office”. I for one elect Earl for president.

Earl and RCTP, what is your take on this? Anyone else have an opinion here?
scallopking is offline Find More Posts by scallopking
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
wood is good
loNslo's Avatar
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
I want to be like Earl when I grow up (I'm only 68).

That relaxing on the porch idea is very attractive.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
RC Trainer plane's Avatar
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Earl for president

hey guys scalllopking i think you right Earl should run the forum. im limited for time now with my GCSE's and the forum would be much better run with earl at the helm. The forum is best in the hands of someones who's always there the manage things and i think earl is just the man. im also setting up and rc youtube channel so be sure to check that out. i've only got the intro at the moment.

FlightTec (0 min 6 sec)


Earl for president !
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:26 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
RC Trainer plane's Avatar
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
BTW i was away firstly because of my exams, then my internet failed, then i went on holiday. But im back now to assist with the creation of this forum with Earl.
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
RC Trainer plane's Avatar
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
one last thing do the administrators know that we've reached 50 "yes" votes?
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:39 PM
Registered User
epoxyearl's Avatar
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
one last thing do the administrators know that we've reached 50 "yes" votes?
Are you kidding?? with all the negative press bestowed on this idea,they're probably wondering why we'd even want to.

We haven't heard from the negateers for a while,so maybe we should stir the pot a little...

I'm in the middle of a 'burn-out' at the moment.....Let me clear my head a while,and I'll consider it.
I have a leathery skin,but I'm sure if we don't cross "I's" and dot "tee's" there'll be the devil to pay.I need to know I'm up to it.
The original premise was to build using readily available wood products,with a little metal,'glas and plastic thrown in where necessary.(gear,cowls,and canopies)
As to the exclusion of mod-tech supplies,we won't encourage their use,but we'll look the other way if builders insist on using them.
Now, I'm going to read the whole darn book,and see if there's a consensus of opinion on what we want to do..I think there is,though.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:43 PM
All under control, Grommit!
leccyflyer's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,574 Posts
If the OP has not informed the administration that the required 50 Yes posts have been made then the status of the proposed forum will be stalled,without a poll being posted.
The procedure is not complicated, is explained fully in the sticky thread at the head of the forum and is easy to follow. However if it is not followed how does anyone expect the poll for the forum to be created?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:07 AM
Registered User
epoxyearl's Avatar
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,469 Posts
Having been accused of rushing into a request for an unneeded new forum on building in traditional balsa and light ply,the OP decided to wait.

Spending most of the summer discussing the merits (or lack of)of a forum such as this is just wise planning.Plunging headlong into the water,you may hit your head on a rock.

Having tested the waters,and finding them welcoming,the next step will confirm whether those same people will subscribe to the forum.This is where we "put up,or shut up",so to speak.

The OP has decided to abandon the project,leaving the ball in someone else's court.There is NO animosity toward the OP,but rather admiration for the young man's ability to proclaim his lack of desire to continue.I see a wisdom there,much as the same wisdom displayed in the slow, steady,flow to where we are now.

If I decide to accept the nomination to head it up,it will be with the same determination that has been displayed all along.-The more experienced builders want to share their expertise with neophytes,beginning to build at any age.We think this would be the correct venue....

If the Forum fails to meet expectations,it will become only one more of the multitude which have already done so.....but I can assure you there will be no talk of "warm droppings" allowed as in the case of another thread of conversation being carried on in the 'Builder's workshop'....we intend to be adults in our exchanges,and will be prodded to do so if necessary...

I'm going back and reviewing all our wonderful conversations.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:27 AM
wood is good
loNslo's Avatar
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
Go Earl! I have a new build I'd like to start there.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:21 PM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
237 Posts
I am a beginner and I voted yes on the basis that the noise to signal ration in the builder's workshop section is to high in my view.

Discussion about why people don't build are valid but I am interested in seeing how people build!

I need to build (and crash) a few more depron planes before I start building nicer models though!
Panoramix is offline Find More Posts by Panoramix
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
Registered User
epoxyearl's Avatar
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoramix View Post
I am a beginner and I voted yes on the basis that the noise to signal ration in the builder's workshop section is to high in my view.

Discussion about why people don't build are valid but I am interested in seeing how people build!

I need to build (and crash) a few more depron planes before I start building nicer models though!
Spoken as a true gentleman....welcome aboard Sir ! Your statement struck a chord....it's probably time to launch this thing-rather than discuss matters of woe..
Solutions are available.Maybe we should make use of them.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
wood is good
loNslo's Avatar
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoramix View Post
I am a beginner...
Check out the build-along clinic here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704076
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:04 PM
All under control, Grommit!
leccyflyer's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Having been accused of rushing into a request for an unneeded new forum on building in traditional balsa and light ply,the OP decided to wait.

Spending most of the summer discussing the merits (or lack of)of a forum such as this is just wise planning.Plunging headlong into the water,you may hit your head on a rock.

Having tested the waters,and finding them welcoming,the next step will confirm whether those same people will subscribe to the forum.This is where we "put up,or shut up",so to speak.

The OP has decided to abandon the project,leaving the ball in someone else's court.There is NO animosity toward the OP,but rather admiration for the young man's ability to proclaim his lack of desire to continue.I see a wisdom there,much as the same wisdom displayed in the slow, steady,flow to where we are now.

If I decide to accept the nomination to head it up,it will be with the same determination that has been displayed all along.-The more experienced builders want to share their expertise with neophytes,beginning to build at any age.We think this would be the correct venue....

If the Forum fails to meet expectations,it will become only one more of the multitude which have already done so.....but I can assure you there will be no talk of "warm droppings" allowed as in the case of another thread of conversation being carried on in the 'Builder's workshop'....we intend to be adults in our exchanges,and will be prodded to do so if necessary...

I'm going back and reviewing all our wonderful conversations.
Just to clarify something for you, there is bo need for anyone to "head something up". The forum, were it to be created would be moderated by the appointed staff moderators. There is no Head of Forum and, like all the other fora, would merely require those interested ro post in the threads.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Making of my Scratch-Build Cessna 182 Skylane (Ribbed Depron + Balsa) (47 pictures) THeRioN Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 14 Aug 07, 2013 07:27 AM
Lite-ply vs. Balsa... catfishchaser Scale Boats 4 May 18, 2012 05:51 AM
Poll Balsa Scratch build Forum Suggestion ?? RC Trainer plane Electric Plane Talk 2 May 10, 2012 12:53 AM
Poll Balsa scratch build forum idea Trainer plane 2 Electric Plane Talk 28 May 09, 2012 07:59 AM