Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
Leccyflyer I was originally going to do foam core rear stabs but decided against it. I was originally considering going that way as the plans I got for the plane only have the root and tip ribs drawn out and the builder has to figure out the rest. The only parts on this plane that I wont build out of balsa and ply will be the canopy and engine cowl. Both of which I will still do myself. I'm in the process of building a vacuum box to make my canopy and will make the cowl out of fiberglass.
I made my vacum box out of peg board and just a wood box underneeth it .Its runs from a strong shop vac .Make sure you seal all air leaks in the box ,i used silione to fill in cracks. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:07 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
Leccyflyer I was originally going to do foam core rear stabs but decided against it. I was originally considering going that way as the plans I got for the plane only have the root and tip ribs drawn out and the builder has to figure out the rest. The only parts on this plane that I wont build out of balsa and ply will be the canopy and engine cowl. Both of which I will still do myself. I'm in the process of building a vacuum box to make my canopy and will make the cowl out of fiberglass.
That's great and the build thread would still be perfectly located in The Builder's Workshop
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,974 Posts
I made the mistake once of setting up the spars as a fixture,then gluing the ribs to that-not accurate at all!...much better to set the ribs on either the proper height spacers,or on the tabs included on some ribs.
The centerline,and stilt is a good idea also.

The old RCM wing jig,with wire rods through holes drilled in the wing ribs is still popular in my area.,although I supported mine with another bridge in the middle.

Nicky Ziroli sometimes uses a 1/4" sq balsa alignment spar glued to the inside leading edge,and a notch locates each rib at the proper height....especially good on tapering thickness wings.Support tabs don't need to be on every rib,with that system.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,974 Posts
Cbarnes0061 nearly confused me,by saying he was cutting foam stabs,then showing me stab ribs.....how did you arrive at the rib shapes?-sectioning the foam,or were there drawings?
Neat work,and yes it's tedious but satisfying.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:23 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I made my vacum box out of peg board and just a wood box underneeth it .Its runs from a strong shop vac .Make sure you seal all air leaks in the box ,i used silione to fill in cracks. joe
Thats exactly how I am building mine just haven't had time to mess with it because of working on the plane but the time will come when I need it for the plane and have to finish it. Can't wait to see the wife's reaction when I start heating the plastic in the kitchen oven.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:26 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Cbarnes0061 nearly confused me,by saying he was cutting foam stabs,then showing me stab ribs.....how did you arrive at the rib shapes?-sectioning the foam,or were there drawings?
Neat work,and yes it's tedious but satisfying.
The gentleman that drew the plans that I have has a link on how to do this. If interested I can post it but I will have to find it again.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,974 Posts
No-I can do that,already....I was happy if you could-you're doing so well on the rest of it.
We used to slice cores into 2"wide sections for rib patterns.

Then draw around the edge of each section for a rib pattern.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:39 PM
Oldrndrt RCav8r
United States, OK, Ardmore
Joined May 2009
57 Posts
Yes
georgewaldrop is offline Find More Posts by georgewaldrop
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewaldrop View Post
Yes
I'm smilin' at yer avatar (oldrndrt)-I'm 71 and want to say thanks for your vote.!
You ain't tellin' us anything.What do you build and fly?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:14 AM
Oldrndrt RCav8r
United States, OK, Ardmore
Joined May 2009
57 Posts
This n That?

I fly mostly larger "gassers", but have, of late been trying out some small electrics. I have, of course, my "kit stash" (far too many to actually ever be able to build them all) from collecting kits and pieces and parts for the last 50 odd years...mostly the last 30 years as I started young building and flying "circle burners" from kits, then moved on when I was in my 20's to RC. I am 58 now and love building and flying RC...I have recently developed an interest in scratch building, and particularly in scale aircraft...

The smaller electrics I have recently acquired and been flying are 17" span PA-18, 43" span Extra 260, and a non scale (unless you consider it is about 40% scale from the original) "SkyTiger". Yes, these three are all ARF's , and I even have a couple more! But I have a passion for building...this is modeling to me!

Have a Blessed Day!
George
AMA~L1307<>IMAA~LM207
georgewaldrop is offline Find More Posts by georgewaldrop
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:00 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Hey guys sorry for my absence. I accidentally unsubscribed myself from this thread and thought nothing was happening here because it didn't come up in my rc groups area . It's nice to see that we've aquired some more votes . Anyway that's my little update busy with work at the moment but I'd like to say a little thanks to everybody that's voted ( especially those who voted yes) and a big one for Epoxyearl and cracksmeup for keeping this thread alive
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
Hey guys sorry for my absence. I accidentally unsubscribed myself from this thread and thought nothing was happening here because it didn't come up in my rc groups area . It's nice to see that we've aquired some more votes . Anyway that's my little update busy with work at the moment but I'd like to say a little thanks to everybody that's voted ( especially those who voted yes) and a big one for Epoxyearl and cracksmeup for keeping this thread alive
We got your back,man.
We've learned a lot,and before you submit an application,we'd like to tailor the phrasing to encompass what is allowed to be discussed.

I think there's much ado about nothing.Very few of the other forums are being scrutinized as closely as this one,with their wandering,and talking about women's shoes,etc.
We're being called to task in a DISCUSSION,describing what we want to do or accomplish in the forum.
Displaying our work,showing our intentions is laying the ground work for what to expect from builders who are well rounded.
Apparently the scrutiny will be agonizing,with the forum policeman waiting for the first mistake,to be challenged ,before you get a chance to edit it out.
But the gentlemen on RCgroups take care of each other,and we have the faith that the Front office will see that it's worth being given a chance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,974 Posts
Welcome aboard Georgewaldrop.You're as well rounded as most of us,it seems.

I reviewed my shop recently,and it seems I'm just a modeler! Cars,boats,electrics,(which don't hold my interest long)C/L Flight Streak,R/C scale,Giant Scale anything,and many Cubs-Man I like Cubs!

I'm equally at home assembling ARFs or kits,but my creative juices flow with scratch building.I get more satisfaction with completing a Giant built from a sheet of paper.

I don't know how to categorize my plans system.I'll start with a three-view,scaled to the final size.Then,I'll buy two or three sets of plans and have them reduced or enlarged to the same wingspan.
I then overlay them stacked,and taped to a plate glass window.Backlit,I draw an "average" outline of them all,on the enlarged 3 view.

I'm satisfied then that I've done my best to get an accurate outline of the model.Then,with my measuring stick,I compare with actual dimensions of the full scale.I'm building for personal satisfaction,so that close is "good enough".
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:49 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Welcome aboard Georgewaldrop.You're as well rounded as most of us,it seems.

I reviewed my shop recently,and it seems I'm just a modeler! Cars,boats,electrics,(which don't hold my interest long)C/L Flight Streak,R/C scale,Giant Scale anything,and many Cubs-Man I like Cubs!

I'm equally at home assembling ARFs or kits,but my creative juices flow with scratch building.I get more satisfaction with completing a Giant built from a sheet of paper.

I don't know how to categorize my plans system.I'll start with a three-view,scaled to the final size.Then,I'll buy two or three sets of plans and have them reduced or enlarged to the same wingspan.
I then overlay them stacked,and taped to a plate glass window.Backlit,I draw an "average" outline of them all,on the enlarged 3 view.

I'm satisfied then that I've done my best to get an accurate outline of the model.Then,with my measuring stick,I compare with actual dimensions of the full scale.I'm building for personal satisfaction,so that close is "good enough".
You like Cubs you say, do you have any good plans for a cub say around the 30 to 50cc gas range. that sounds like fun, after of course I finish the Cap I'm building. made a lot of progress on it last night. I would post pics but the wife and I had house guest for dinner last night and in her cleaning frenzy put my camera away somewhere where it's not supposed be.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:12 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I hope they get this adopted as a new forum. Think about this... they have a new "RC Airliners" forum! Are you serious? A seperate forum for foamie airliners? Aren't these EDFs? Don't they belong in the EDF section? Besides, I've seen airliner threads in the scratch built foamies forums. They fit there just fine, for crying out loud.
Also, there is another flying wing forum called "Nurflugel". What was wrong with the flying wings forums? Those tailless wings fit in the flying wing forum just fine. Heck, they even fit in the scratchbuilt foamie forums, too. Did it really need to be created?
"3D Flying" "3D Foamies" Really? Both discuss 3D airplanes. Were both necessary?

Others get the forums they want. I think this one ought to be created. When I go to the Builders Workshop I don't see this forum dominated by scratch build threads. I see a lot of general discussion stuff. We want a dedicated scratch building forum for balsa planes. Can we get it?
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Closed Thread