Yes 71 84.52%
No 13 15.48%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:29 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
842 Posts
I was just trying to get the topic back on point. Sorry wasn't arguing at all with you just trying to get talking about scratch building and what would be in the new forum if agreed on.

I think we all should ignore him and focus on what we would like it to be. IMHO.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallopking View Post
Ok kingconsulting, I'm misunderstanding you or you have misunderstood me. Iím not arguing here, I have voted YES, I was just pointing out that no one has confirmed what leccyflyer was repeatedly saying over and over again.
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
I was just trying to get the topic back on point. Sorry wasn't arguing at all with you just trying to get talking about scratch building and what would be in the new forum if agreed on.

I think we all should ignore him and focus on what we would like it to be. IMHO.

Robert
With his 11,000 post's of nothing he's a mighty force to ignor . lmao
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jun 06, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
kingconsulting
think we all should ignore him and focus on what we would like it to be. IMHO.
Sounds like a plan.

I`m building right now, taking pictures and will be posting when the time comes. I was going to start a blog to post there, but I will wait.

I need ideas on how to have removable wing tips using only balsa; well-off I go searching again.

cracksmeup don`t let things fall to pieces while Iím gone, back to the real world.lol

Later.
scallopking is offline Find More Posts by scallopking
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
Ivan makes nylon pieces that snap over small screws in the wing to hold the outer wing pannels on ,it would work for wing tips .What ya building ,prying minds want to know.lol joe
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Ivan makes nylon pieces that snap over small screws in the wing to hold the outer wing pannels on ,it would work for wing tips .What ya building ,prying minds want to know.lol joe
Yeah-what do want to take the tips off of anyhow? d'you mean that little tiny thing at the end,or like a glider wing tip?-sorry-I'm gettin' coffee,and thought I'd see what's going on

Glider guys are using small diameter wire rods ,and those rare earth magnets to keep 'em on.
Peaceful-ain't it ?
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:45 PM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
614 Posts
I hope this forum happens, I think scratch building and kit building is awesome. I personally am starting to do a lot of scratch building and it is the cheapest way to go. I'm starting to work my way into 30% and larger planes and I just can't afford to go buy some of these ARF's that are out there. Right now I'm working on a 30% Cap 232, I have bought all the wood for it and there is a lot in it and I have only spent about $150. I'm figuring that when I have it to the ARF stage I will only be in it for around $250, and last I checked I haven't seen any 30% ARF's for that kind of price.
cbarnes0061 is online now Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
I hope this forum happens, I think scratch building and kit building is awesome. I personally am starting to do a lot of scratch building and it is the cheapest way to go. I'm starting to work my way into 30% and larger planes and I just can't afford to go buy some of these ARF's that are out there. Right now I'm working on a 30% Cap 232, I have bought all the wood for it and there is a lot in it and I have only spent about $150. I'm figuring that when I have it to the ARF stage I will only be in it for around $250, and last I checked I haven't seen any 30% ARF's for that kind of price.
Thanks for the 'yes'.
That's what we want to see happen-the satisfaction of building your own plane,and the joy of having it fly,with your individual touches on it.-your color choices.Becoming a building expert along the way can't hurt,either.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:18 PM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Thanks for the 'yes'.
That's what we want to see happen-the satisfaction of building your own plane,and the joy of having it fly,with your individual touches on it.-your color choices.Becoming a building expert along the way can't hurt,either.
I just find it really enjoyable as well, other than the 1000's of times that I glue my fingers to the plane with CA. Its hard when you crash them though. You crash an ARF and you look at it as a lot of money down the drain. You crash a kit or especially a scratch built you look at it as all the time and hard work.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
842 Posts
Welcome cbarnes!

I find it relaxing myself. Nothing like the pride you have when you build something from your own two hands.

Make sure you post some photos when you get started or if you already have!

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:24 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
614 Posts
I have already started here are some pics. If interested I have a full build thread over on Flying Giants titled 30% Cap 232 Scratch Build
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:37 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,646 Posts
Looks like a good build thread for The Builder's Workshop here

Of course you wouldn't be able to post it in this proposed new forum since, as you say

Quote:
this is a big build and I will have to learn some new build technique's such as doing foam core's on the rear stabs.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Sep 2011
842 Posts
Looks like a good start. Will check your build out thanks for the photos.

A questions for you guys. What is the purpose of the tabs on the bottom of the ribs? I assume they get cut off. To keep things level while it's being built?

Robert
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:25 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Looks like a good start. Will check your build out thanks for the photos.

A questions for you guys. What is the purpose of the tabs on the bottom of the ribs? I assume they get cut off. To keep things level while it's being built?

Robert
Yep, they are jigging tabs to keep all the wing ribs at the correct height during construction, without needing to jig them up with scrap balsa. When the wing is built they get trimmed off.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
A builder i know (merlyn ) marks the center lines on all his wing ribs then cuts stilts to glue to the center lines and it holds every thing 3 or 4 inches off the building board .I have never tried this but he gets a very straight wing this way. joe
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:52 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
614 Posts
Leccyflyer I was originally going to do foam core rear stabs but decided against it. I was originally considering going that way as the plans I got for the plane only have the root and tip ribs drawn out and the builder has to figure out the rest. The only parts on this plane that I wont build out of balsa and ply will be the canopy and engine cowl. Both of which I will still do myself. I'm in the process of building a vacuum box to make my canopy and will make the cowl out of fiberglass.
Closed Thread