No 13 15.48%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old May 26, 2012, 11:49 AM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
The only balsa-only area I can think of is the Builders Workshop, and I've never seen a foam build in there. All the other forums that have balsa builds are type-specific forums, which could include building from stone if one was so inclined. I also see it unlikely for anybody to keep an updated build thread in multiple forums. It's just too much hassle.
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 11:51 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,226 Posts
Wehrdo..Thanks for keeping an open mind...and not rushing to vote,either way..

It would be cool for you to wait until we get the other 49 votes required,and then see which way you're inclined to vote

What I had in mind,was to take a sheet of paper and a 3 view,if you're doing scale,or a thought,if you're designing your own,and develop everything to construct an aircraft.

From scaling to a desired size,or designing to a specific area,/power combo.

I see some threads asking for help on enlarging/developing useable plans,but they seem to fade,before anyone completes them.

I have my ways of doing this,and if a forum isn't in the cards,I'll present them in a discussion thread. I agreed with RCTP,that this was a good idea,and if you have read my responses,you'll see that I didn't want it cluttered up.
Everything must be self designed,scratch built,and balsa/lite ply.If the OP wanted to allow plans-built,that's about as much as I would agree to.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old May 26, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Earl, I'm just worried there won't be enough content to fill a forum so specific.

I'm curious whether you would consider my recent build fit to go in this proposed forum. Here's the thread for it. I based the dimensions and stabilizer structures off plans, but made a different airfoil, wing taper, wing chord, elevator, rudder, and aileron size, and a different fuselage structure than the plans. Overall, it looks very similar to the original plans. Would it be considered a "scratch build"?
Old May 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,312 Posts
If i posted one of my seaplane builds iin the seaplane section i would get it looks like a nice plane or thats big .If i also post it in a balsa builders section there would be building questions to how i did what i did or comments on why i did it that way rather than theirs. . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old May 26, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
If i posted one of my seaplane builds iin the seaplane section i would get it looks like a nice plane or thats big .If i also post it in a balsa builders section there would be building questions to how i did what i did or comments on why i did it that way rather than theirs. . joe
Then why not post in the Builders Workshop?
Old May 26, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,312 Posts
And along with the foam guys in the builders section ,you still dont get it . joe
Old May 26, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
And along with the foam guys in the builders section ,you still dont get it . joe
No, I'm obviously still not getting it, but I'm trying. Care to elaborate more?
Old May 26, 2012, 04:54 PM
Balsa and Foam can Coexist
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,907 Posts
Quote:
I am having trouble comprehending this run on sentence - what are you trying to point out?

Ethan
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old May 26, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,312 Posts
Well we have about 5 or 6 foam forums then you get into electrict warbirds and guess what, they are foam ones .There are edf foam planes and now airliner forum but guess again , they are all mostly built out of foam too . We want one forum for balsa only builders .We are getting taken over by foam builders on 80 percent of this forum and want one place to call our own. Alot of us here including me have been building balsa planes for 30 years but we feel its getting thrown by the wayside by fast flat foamys that dont last as long as a nice balsa built plane. Yea you can put foamy together in one night and yes they might fly fairly nice but its a flat looking piece of nothing in alot of our eyes . I build foamys to crash and save my big balsa built models for shows and water funflys around my state and IN. Vote the way you want to and move on, iam still getting more to vote to get our own spot here to keep our balsa building alive and well. joe
Old May 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,226 Posts
Wehrdo-back a couple of posts,you asked if I thought your ampmaster would qualify as a 'scratchbuild'..? -Absolutely ! You started with an idea,and did what was necessary to construct an airplane.
You can only build balsa airplanes so many ways.....You begin with an outline,and fill in the structure as required.Some of the structure is defined by the laws of physics,(strength,flexibility,lightness.),but you can arrive at those goals different ways......A spar can be one piece,or several,laminated,trussed,boxed,or with shear webbing.........
My intent was to have experienced people displaying their talents, to teach,and encourage hesitant neophytes to "try it"
You have the apparent capabilities to design with computers-not every one has that equipment or experience..If someone had a question concerning a particular problem,I see your ability to step in and resolve it for them,if you're so inclined.
I believe there are many good designs ,waiting for someone to be encouraged to unleash them,and many great builders waiting to be taught....hence the forum.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,312 Posts
Wehrdo ,yes you can use a computer to draw out your planes but judging from your own build (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...?t=1531138)you still have to go a long way and learn many more things. I could not draw my own name on a this dam computer but iam a builder/carpenter and have hand drawn home plans and my own airplane plans also. If you dont want us to have a balsa only forum then vote no if you do vote yes ,Yes your build would have been able to be in it and you are smart enough to draw and kinda build your first plane but i cant believe you dont understand what we balsa builders here want.Maybe you need to build with balsa for 10 or so years and then tell us why you would not like our new forum. The only saving grace my young friend in thread is that they dont count the no's. lmao joe
Old May 26, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,226 Posts
The opinions voiced previously are not those of the majority.
For those of us who are still learning,and willing to,we find that the sharing of ideas is the better medium.
Being able to congregate in a forum shared by folks of the same interests seems to be a positive thing.....I'll admit I don't use foam as a construction material.-I don't like it-but I don't DISlike people who do use it.....But you will not see me saying they shouldn't have a place to meet.

I have much to learn,about the 'politics' of forum voting-if someone's doing something I'm not interested in,I just move along,allowing them to do their thing.,unencumbered by my judgemental feelings....If it interests me,I'll stop by,or maybe offer an opinion..if it doesn't,I don't bother anyone....However-there are times I have visited something unusual,and learned something that could be useful in my field of interest.

I haven't seen a forum I've visited yet,though,that doesn't wander off to another thought on occasion,leading me to believe there are wider interests to most people than the singular subject in that forum.Human nature.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,312 Posts
You can only learn if you open your mind to it. Closing off people who are trying to get a place to teach is closing off your mind and is a waste of my time and others .Earl i hope you have learned this but if you havent you will. I have taught many that wanted to learn but a few thought they new it all and i wasted my time.If he wanted to learn in any forum or build in ours he would have had a open mind to it. Iam not going to live much longer so i refuse to waste what little time i have left on these types . The guys who taught me and helped me learn the tricks are gone now the last one died a year ago ,i will help anyone who is willing to learn and do so always but again i wont waste my time. BTW i dont sugar coat anything either .joe
Old May 27, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,226 Posts
Joe,I'm 71,and realistic....You and I have a wealth of kmowledge that we're willing to share.
Model building has been the single honest fact of life for me.Whatever I wanted to do,it resisted......but the feeling of success when it happened was the reason for doing it,in the first place......I'm smarter,more patient,and definitely not afraid to tackle something new.

Now,I'm losing some of that patience,when successful modelers say 'let them figure it out,on their own'....If I'd had the information at hand,when I started,instead of having to learn as I went,I'd be years ahead in my knowledge...

We're learning"the smarter I get,the less I know"is very true. So I think that the one guy, who's built one airplane,should either share the knowledge,or shut up.The whole idea of this forum is to help,before we're gone..Barricades are getting higher,and I don't jump so good anymore.......my knees hurt.lol

...and the only place I need sugar is in my coffee.....where's my cup ?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 06:36 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Well put earl if i can't explain something i'll get you or Joe to explain it for me . I know that i've learnt soo much over my short time in RC in about a month i feel that i could even help another newcomer out. If i just went out and bought an ARF or RTF trainer i wouldn't know half as much as i know now. I've learnt about batteries there cells, mah's, discharge and all that stuff as well minor repair work and little techniques that save a lot of time. So when i crash my plane ( yes when, becuase if i'm anything like i am on my Sim that plane won't last five minutes ) i might if the crash wasn't too bad be able to fix it.
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Closed Thread