HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by peter24, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 09, 2012, 02:42 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Discussion
F16 Pusher

UPDATES ADDED 10-11-2012 - Pictures etc in comments section.
MK2 Jet:
Now in progress. New size is to be. Ws: 950mm length: 1500mm

F16XL Left Wing Assembly 1 (0 min 16 sec)

MK1 JET:
This is a jet ive working on for a while now, the plan originally came from iphan here on rcgroups, who has kindly allowed me to modify it for my own needs.
So far i have put the plan into cad, and made parts of all the bits from the plan. enlarged it slighty and ended up with what you see below. i realise some of the parts look a little square, but i have modeled it in solidworks, which isnt the best program for this. but its what i know.

Iphans plan was originally for balsa and a speed 400, and a pivoting wing for roll control. I believe,several people have built it, and modded it for ducted fan, I fancied building a depron version, with conventional tailerons, although i may add ailerons as well.
The plan is to use 2mm depron for the skins and 3mm depron for the bulkheads, with a bit of carbon and a little balsa, wether this will work I have no idea. Ive scaled the plans to fit a 2212.06 motor in the exhaust cone.
Wingspan - 613mm
Length - 942mm
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
Last edited by peter24; Nov 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 09:22 PM
United States, CO, Westminster
Joined Jul 2011
575 Posts
thats a CAD i thought it was real !!!!
So far it looks pretty good you know if it doesnt turn out how u want it you can try Thomas Nelson F-16 ( http://www.parkjets.com/tn-f16-falcon/ ) its a pretty easy build and its also very scale looking
chester2240 is offline Find More Posts by chester2240
Old May 11, 2012, 01:37 PM
if its not broke,fix it anyway
United Kingdom, England, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
looks better every time i see it
Biffda is offline Find More Posts by Biffda
Old May 11, 2012, 03:19 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Thanks for the comments, was going to print the plan today at work, but the printer was bust, so had to knock up a quick layout of parts i could fit on a3, which was enough parts to make a wing. Cut the paper templates tonight, so hopefully by Sunday i should have a wing, will post more pictures as I go.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:10 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
So managed to get a wing built today, it weighs 12 grams, solidworks said it would weigh 9.5grams, obviously no glue in the cad model, plus i added some gussets, which i will need to add to the model.
Quite please how it turned out, was a bit fiddly as some parts are quite small.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
wow its coming on now and it got an airfoil
Old May 13, 2012, 03:04 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Could have gotten both wings done, but haven't felt to good this weekend, plus my little boy is ill as well. Anyway, the wing went together really easy, which was good. Will get the full plan printed this week, so I can start the fuse.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
i think when its finished it should look mega what size will it be? length, wingspan,
Old May 13, 2012, 03:56 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Can't remember of top of my head, its not massive, about 1m long, and 28" wing span,
Iphan really did do a great job on the original plans, so ive had it fairy easy, just adding my own bits and pieces, like all the slots and tabs to locate stuff, changed the shape of the lower bulk heads, and the motor mount, want to make the exhaust cone removable, to make motor mounting easier.
Old May 13, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
might need to put some 2-3 mm depron on order?
Old May 15, 2012, 02:35 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
I wouldn't buy depron just for this just yet, incase it doesnt work out. Plus not sure if I'm gonna stick with 2mm skins or go to 3mm. Depends how rigid it all turns out.

Anyway I now have a pair of wings......sort of, the first one pictured earlier, I didnt feel was rigid enough, so on the next one I made the sparse bigger, which seems to have done the trick. So i thought is make another one and ditch the first one as a practice. So was about to glue the top skin on, when I realised is made it the same hand as the other one....doh. so I still have to make another one,

I may look into adding ailerons, but not sure how to do it on a built up wing.
Old May 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter24 View Post

I may look into adding ailerons, but not sure how to do it on a built up wing.
looking at a plan i got with rcm&e, a foamy, it has a built up wing like yours and where the alieron is its got a thin piece of ply to either side to end it up where the maylar hinge gose
Old May 15, 2012, 03:41 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Cheers will look into it, and knock something up on the computer. Don't think this one will have ailerons, but if I get it sorted ill put it on the plans.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:03 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
So i finally managed to get the plan printed off, so started cutting the fuse this evening, this is what i have so far. None of the bulkheads are glues in there just pushed into there respective slots. Hopefully over the weekend i will get some more done, then i have to order 2mm depron, so i can try some skins.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:09 AM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Got some more done on the fuse today, Went together nice and easy, just a little trimming here and there. Not really going to be able to do to much more, untill i get some depron, so i can get the top skinned.
Last edited by peter24; May 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM.