HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 02:38 AM
Discovery
Joined Apr 2012
223 Posts
Well, I did it once, and the second time I hard mounted it, coudln't see any difference, but there might be a little one, hardly noticeable to me
ulkar is offline Find More Posts by ulkar
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 03:54 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
955 Posts
Alright thanks, don't want to hijack this thread so i will start another thread once i receive my quad from hk and ask questions there. to put this topic back on track:

o.k so many people say that if you "stuff up" your board by selecting incorrect settings, or maybe having driver issues ? The question is, how do you fix it ?

I guess i'm afraid that when installing the drivers, it might not be actually installed, my experience with drivers and is that sometimes it shows that it's installed, but it's not, i will be using xp home.
Axefly is online now Find More Posts by Axefly
Old May 11, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
6,667 Posts
The flash tool and the drivers are two separate files. The flash tool runs with Java so it's not like most commercial software that you have to install. When you unzip the download, you'll see a file called something like KKMulticopterFlashTool.cmd This is the file that will start up the software. Give it a bit of time for Java to do its job and the software interface should eventually pop open.

Then when you connect your USB programmer, your operating system will detect that you are missing drivers. I suggest you choose the "browse" option instead of letting windows search for the drivers because windows won't find the drivers. Browse to the folder where the drivers you downloaded are located and it should install without any issues.

Now, if you are running win-32, you will have to read the readme files that come with the software download and you will have to do some dos programming in command prompt. This is a pain. I had to hire an IT technician to do that for me. It took him 2 minutes. If you run win-64 or higher, you should have no issues at all.

Don't worry about highjacking the thread, Sir. I will rename the thread to make it more useful/ less specific.

Look, I plan to put together a tutorial about how to build a quad using a KK board shortly. This will include connecting the ESCs through a power harness, connecting the ESCs to the KK board, connecting the KK board to a receiver, calibrating the ESCs, connecting the motors for proper rotation, reversing channels and general transmitter settings. I will also explain how to use the KK flash tool. I plan to make a series of videos to show how to do all that.

I will post a link of this tutorial in this thread when I'm done. I hope to have it done this weekend. If you have never built a quad, I think you will find it useful and it will save you some time. As to "how to fix it," I think it's best to just take your time and be thorough, unlike me, so you don't have to fix anything. Easier said than done, sometimes, I would know.

Mind telling us what quad you ordered from HK? Just curious.

I just got the X450 by RCX from www.myrcmart.com It's my first big quad and my first build. It's bloody awesome... Have a look!

Best,
Chris

bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Last edited by bobepine; May 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2010
17 Posts
Quick question. I am building a quad copter and I have the KK board, I flashed it with X style firmware and after a few channel swaps, got all the motors going the right. But, from the beginning, one of the motors does not start in the beginning, only starts at half throttle or when the control inputs are pressed, but slower than the motor it is matched with for that movement. I tested that motor in a different port and it ran fine, and another motor in the original port ran slow as well, so I know it is not the motor, but the port. Any suggestions?
rc4free is offline Find More Posts by rc4free
Old May 12, 2012, 12:07 AM
Joined Jun 2011
6,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4free View Post
Quick question. I am building a quad copter and I have the KK board, I flashed it with X style firmware and after a few channel swaps, got all the motors going the right. But, from the beginning, one of the motors does not start in the beginning, only starts at half throttle or when the control inputs are pressed, but slower than the motor it is matched with for that movement. I tested that motor in a different port and it ran fine, and another motor in the original port ran slow as well, so I know it is not the motor, but the port. Any suggestions?
You have to calibrate the ESCs one by one and if that doesn't work you have to try flashing your board with a different firmware. I was testing different firmwares last night on my KK blackboard 5.5 and the firmwares by kapteinkuk don't work on this board. A motor won't turn or something else acts weird, whereas the firwares by Minsoo Kim all work fine.

To calibrate your ESCs one by one, do the following:

1- Remove propellers.

2- Power up the quad and bind TX/RX. (Remove propellers first! This cannot be done with props installed)

3-Unplug the throttle channel on your RX. When you do this, the motors may start spinning randomly. Don't worry about it so long as the props are removed, it's OK.

4- Unplug ESC number 1 from the KK board and plug it directly into your receiver in the throttle channel. Make sure you plug the ESC the right direction on your RX so that the ESC will receive a signal from your transmitter. Also make sure you leave the live connection between the RX and KK board plugged in as to keep the RX powered up and bound to your transmitter.Then, apply full throttle and back to 0% a few times. You should see motor number 1 respond to throttle input while other motors may spin randomly.

5- Reconnect motor number 1 to the KK board and repeat this process with ESC number 2,3 and 4.

6- Reconnect the throttle channel on your RX to the KK board. (Simply reconnect everything where it should be connected)

7- Power off the quad and turn off your TX.

8- Power up the quad and the TX again, bind, and see if all the motors are now running together. Your ESCs should then be all calibrated individually and it should work a lot better for you.

9- If this fails, try a different firmware and repeat the above steps.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 12, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
You have to calibrate the ESCs one by one and if that doesn't work you have to try flashing your board with a different firmware. I was testing different firmwares last night on my KK blackboard 5.5 and the firmwares by kapteinkuk don't work on this board. A motor won't turn or something else acts weird, whereas the firwares by Minsoo Kim all work fine.

To calibrate your ESCs one by one, do the following:

1- Remove propellers.

2- Power up the quad and bind TX/RX. (Remove propellers first! This cannot be done with props installed)

3-Unplug the throttle channel on your RX. When you do this, the motors may start spinning randomly. Don't worry about it so long as the props are removed, it's OK.

4- Unplug ESC number 1 from the KK board and plug it directly into your receiver in the throttle channel. Make sure you plug the ESC the right direction on your RX so that the ESC will receive a signal from your transmitter. Also make sure you leave the live connection between the RX and KK board plugged in as to keep the RX powered up and bound to your transmitter.Then, apply full throttle and back to 0% a few times. You should see motor number 1 respond to throttle input while other motors may spin randomly.

5- Reconnect motor number 1 to the KK board and repeat this process with ESC number 2,3 and 4.

6- Reconnect the throttle channel on your RX to the KK board. (Simply reconnect everything where it should be connected)

7- Power off the quad and turn off your TX.

8- Power up the quad and the TX again, bind, and see if all the motors are now running together. Your ESCs should then be all calibrated individually and it should work a lot better for you.

9- If this fails, try a different firmware and repeat the above steps.

Best,
Chris
Thank you, I will try that
rc4free is offline Find More Posts by rc4free
Old May 12, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
6,667 Posts
You're welcome. I have a series of 6 videos showing how to build a quad using a KK board as we speak. The videos include the steps described above. I'll post a link later when I'm all done.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 12, 2012, 01:10 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
The flash tool and the drivers are two separate files. The flash tool runs with Java so it's not like most commercial software that you have to install. When you unzip the download, you'll see a file called something like KKMulticopterFlashTool.cmd This is the file that will start up the software. Give it a bit of time for Java to do its job and the software interface should eventually pop open.

Then when you connect your USB programmer, your operating system will detect that you are missing drivers. I suggest you choose the "browse" option instead of letting windows search for the drivers because windows won't find the drivers. Browse to the folder where the drivers you downloaded are located and it should install without any issues.

Now, if you are running win-32, you will have to read the readme files that come with the software download and you will have to do some dos programming in command prompt. This is a pain. I had to hire an IT technician to do that for me. It took him 2 minutes. If you run win-64 or higher, you should have no issues at all.

Don't worry about highjacking the thread, Sir. I will rename the thread to make it more useful/ less specific.

Look, I plan to put together a tutorial about how to build a quad using a KK board shortly. This will include connecting the ESCs through a power harness, connecting the ESCs to the KK board, connecting the KK board to a receiver, calibrating the ESCs, connecting the motors for proper rotation, reversing channels and general transmitter settings. I will also explain how to use the KK flash tool. I plan to make a series of videos to show how to do all that.

I will post a link of this tutorial in this thread when I'm done. I hope to have it done this weekend. If you have never built a quad, I think you will find it useful and it will save you some time. As to "how to fix it," I think it's best to just take your time and be thorough, unlike me, so you don't have to fix anything. Easier said than done, sometimes, I would know.

Mind telling us what quad you ordered from HK? Just curious.

I just got the X450 by RCX from www.myrcmart.com It's my first big quad and my first build. It's bloody awesome... Have a look!

Best,
Chris

Wow that's awesome Chris thanks for the comprehensive reply... Sorry for only now replying,
i got a bit sidetracked if i could put it that way lol....

Anyway Nice quad, like the colored arms really will help.

What i have ? After quite some time i finally settled for a turnigy talon v2 frame, i think it looks
quite awesome, then the newer kk board with the bigger memory, 30 amp blue series hk esc's
and hk park 450 motors, props i'm still deciding on, will depend where i can get it the easiest i suppose, but would like to have some 9x5 3 bladers on there.

Man a tutorial would be so cool, for i've never done any of these contraptions before, have done heli's but they're different.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Jun 2011
6,667 Posts
Nice one, Axefly. Should make for a very sweet quad. I like the Turnigy frames a lot.

I have six HD videos uploading. Big files so still uploading. It will probably take another few hours. I'm off to bed soon so won't have time to put together a tutorial thread today (time difference, I reside in Taiwan). But I will most definitely have all this up by tomorrow.

Wishing you lots of fun flying your quad, though, I don't think that's going to be a problem. These things are a LOT of fun.

Here's a sneak preview:

RCX X-450 Quadcopter Fast Flight and Commentaries (11 min 57 sec)

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 13, 2012, 02:35 AM
Joined Jun 2011
6,667 Posts
Quote:
Man a tutorial would be so cool, for i've never done any of these contraptions before, have done heli's but they're different.
Here you are, Sir. Hope you find this helpful.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post21598623

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 13, 2012, 04:23 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
955 Posts
Wow Chris..... Stunning! I'm definitely going to go through all of them carefully, thank you !

Now.... if only i had my quad already !, still about 10 working day away if all goes well....!!!

Again thank you Sir....!