HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Apr 2012
96 Posts
Question
Esky A300 or Walk Lama EC135 or Walk 53QD ?

Gmornin gang.

First, thanks for the tips I have been given along the way and having the resources available for me to tweak, fix and fly my quickly growing collection of birds..

I am looking for another outdoor, calm day, scale Coax to fly around the yard, entertain the kids. I have a Blade CX3 that's been pretty cool.

The Esky A300 Huey for 99$ on eBay has been taunting me. I don't expect too much from it at that price, but it seems to be a bastard size. Will I be able to find blades, landing skids or adapt some other branded parts to it to make it a little tougher/tighter? I don't pull motors or receivers.

I've seen a few small threads about this heli but couldn't find anyone who has one and liked it? Cursed it ?

Is it worth getting into or should I just bite the bullet on the Walkera Lama EC-135 ?

Thanks for any input guys.

Paul
PCaola is offline Find More Posts by PCaola
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 10:14 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The ESky Lama V4 was probably the best selling coax heli ever made. All Esky 300 models are basically Lama V4 under the skin and there are tons of aftermarket parts available. It's about the same size as the Eflight CX helis. You may also try to find the ESky Big outdoor Lama. But, be aware, ESky is no longer sold outside of China. There are several RCG members who can get you parts, but it's not cheap or fast.

Generally speaking, ESky and EFlight coaxes have less issues than Walkera. Consequently, Walkera coax sales have never been good, nor has it generated the aftermarket that ESky and Eflight has. The basic Walkera Lama 400 enjoys some popularity and aftermarket support, but not many other Walkera models do. The EC135 model may be an uptick in quality and durability, but the odds are good few people will buy one. Walkera is switching over to a new transmitter design that isn't compatible with the older design, and the EC135 uses the older design. So, you won't find helis that will work with it, going forward. You should also know, Walkera scale models have poor landing gear and fuselages that are very difficult to remove.

If you are just into scale coax helis, Banana Hobby sells a number of rebadged Art-Tech coaxes under their Blitzworks name. Art -Tech makes some beautiful looking scale models. They used to have durability issues, can't say about their current models. They were on par with Walkera.

Given the current state of larger 4 channel coax helis, I would give Art-Tech a chance. Keep in mind, you are going to need an extended inner shaft, regardless of the heli you choose.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; May 09, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
96 Posts
Thanks... a LOT

Barl.

Thanks for taking the time to clear some things up for me. Some things I was close to knowing, some I didn't and it helps.

I really figured Blitzworks was Art-Tech stuff. And it seems like both ArtTech and Esky Hoover between the toy-hobby market. Priced almost as a "Christmas present" pre packaged and RTF. It doesn't seem like there are upper end radios or BNF models so I guess they are made to withstand noob abuse the best they can. I didn't know the Esky A300 series was the Esky Lama inside. That's really good to know for parts.

I have the same fever as most do here. Sooo many helis already. Mostly indoor. Lots of Blades. MSR,MSRX,CX2,MCX2, and a SR120. Flying the SR-120 seems to be a personality unto itself! Compared to most I fly. I have an Art-Tech EC-135 I acquired on eBay, used. Probably due to my bad landing, it shakes like a &-$/(;&/). So I'm going to try and replace the shafts. Already did all the blades. My only Walkera right now is a CB-100. But i have the 2810 Pro so it won't bother me to add a Walkera to my fleet.

Adjusting the Walkera seems a tad easier with screws and metal parts. I get so nervous popping off the eflite parts. That plastic flexes fast and does not always return to its original position LOL

I'm determined to progress beyond coaxials. But for outside, big heavy heli, it's still just relaxing for me to fly a coax. Flying my SR-120 or CB100 is rewarding in maneuvering but I do.. Have to... Work at it. And one quick cross breeze through my yard can change everything.

For 99$ I think I just have to add the white/orange Esky Huey. Seems like I can add an Ec135 or a MD510 style at any time. How often do you see a HUEY? Haha.

Now I just need some soundtrack.... Say.... Rolling Stones? Or maybe Shinedown.

Thanks Barl
Old May 09, 2012, 06:20 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I would suggest a Blade MQx as the ideal indoor and outdoor heli. It takes a fair amount of wind to bother it and it's way more durable than any regular heli. You can fly it like a coax if you wish. Or you can let her rip!
Old May 10, 2012, 05:28 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCaola View Post
Barl.

Thanks for taking the time to clear some things up for me. Some things I was close to knowing, some I didn't and it helps.

I really figured Blitzworks was Art-Tech stuff. And it seems like both ArtTech and Esky Hoover between the toy-hobby market. Priced almost as a "Christmas present" pre packaged and RTF. It doesn't seem like there are upper end radios or BNF models so I guess they are made to withstand noob abuse the best they can. I didn't know the Esky A300 series was the Esky Lama inside. That's really good to know for parts.

I have the same fever as most do here. Sooo many helis already. Mostly indoor. Lots of Blades. MSR,MSRX,CX2,MCX2, and a SR120. Flying the SR-120 seems to be a personality unto itself! Compared to most I fly. I have an Art-Tech EC-135 I acquired on eBay, used. Probably due to my bad landing, it shakes like a &-$/(;&/). So I'm going to try and replace the shafts. Already did all the blades. My only Walkera right now is a CB-100. But i have the 2810 Pro so it won't bother me to add a Walkera to my fleet.

Adjusting the Walkera seems a tad easier with screws and metal parts. I get so nervous popping off the eflite parts. That plastic flexes fast and does not always return to its original position LOL

I'm determined to progress beyond coaxials. But for outside, big heavy heli, it's still just relaxing for me to fly a coax. Flying my SR-120 or CB100 is rewarding in maneuvering but I do.. Have to... Work at it. And one quick cross breeze through my yard can change everything.

For 99$ I think I just have to add the white/orange Esky Huey. Seems like I can add an Ec135 or a MD510 style at any time. How often do you see a HUEY? Haha.

Now I just need some soundtrack.... Say.... Rolling Stones? Or maybe Shinedown.

Thanks Barl
Here are my two cents to the Esky V4/A300:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1528109
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old May 10, 2012, 09:46 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The Lama V4 was my first heli. I still like it for learning because it has a lot more realistic physics than all of these ultra-light micro coaxes. It's too bad ESky has pretty much disappeared from the market. I've always had good luck with them. I would recommend any ESky coax in a second, if I thought there was any availability. But, I already have about $2000 worth of helis that I can't get parts for.
Last edited by Balr14; May 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Apr 2012
96 Posts
I like it

Just an update. My A300 Esky Huey arrived yesterday. Packaged well and very cool looking. It's kinda cool to have a Huey scale. Compared to all the EC-135s and MD500s. It has a very different look than the Blade Huey. I'm not sure if it's because of the colors or it just "looks" longer. It's not quite as big as I expected, compared to my art tech EC-135 but it's a decent size.

Charged it up and did a few flights with NO ISSUES. Very easy to fly and no vibration at all. Super smooth. Minimal FF as to be expected but a good 8 minutes flight time at least.

After dinner I threw on the Xtreme 55 degree blades and she perked up a good bit. Definitely faster FF and better turns and banking. Added a nice wad of model clay way up front in the nose cone. It didn't seem to affect lift off, Hoover or maneuvability. But FF got even better. It moves good and is just a FUN heli to fly. It was even a little windy and I never lost control of it. The flashing lights on it are just another cool touch to the look. For 89$ and free shipping; it exceeded my expectations. And I'm happy to know the are plenty of upgrades still around for the Esky Lama frame.

The only downer was seeing a remote that said FM 66.7 frequency ( or something like that on the box ). Almost Everything I have bought new this year has been 2.3 MHZ stuff. But for my back yard, not a big deal... Just one. Ore remote on the hobby shelf.

Thanks Barl and guys for the little bit of input. I'm very pleased and having fun.

Paul
Old May 17, 2012, 11:05 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Glad you are enjoying it. I know I always enjoyed mine. Don't forget the extended inner shaft, before you start getting blade strikes.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Apr 2012
96 Posts
Extended shaft

I have one coming in. I swapped out one on my Blade CX3 this week too.

On throttle up some of my coaxs clack a little. With the Xtreme blades on the Esky A300 if I spool up really slow I get none. They seem a little stiffer. I don't push my coaxes super hard unless I am dropping altitude too fast and want to avoid broken skids. Is there a flying maneuver that can cause the blade strikes ? Not sure if it's the stiffer Xtreme blades but so far-so good.

Thanks !