HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:49 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
Thanks you very much for this extremely useful hack offered to the community!
Can you confirm this will work? http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...7&productname=
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen09 View Post
Thanks you very much for this extremely useful hack offered to the community!
Can you confirm this will work? http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...7&productname=
Those will work and there is a picture of pinouts in post 29#..
danielnc06 is offline Find More Posts by danielnc06
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:04 AM
Makati City, Philippines
Joined Jun 2009
13 Posts
Is this firmware compatible with the 6A variant?
rorey10 is offline Find More Posts by rorey10
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
I flashed my 6amp with the switch firmware with no issues....they make great led controllers/switches
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:47 AM
Makati City, Philippines
Joined Jun 2009
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielnc06 View Post
I flashed my 6amp with the switch firmware with no issues....they make great led controllers/switches
I've been looking for flashing instructions for the 6A and I found this photo.

Do I need to add jumper wires (pin8-12 and pin 10-11) as shown? Thanks.
rorey10 is offline Find More Posts by rorey10
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorey10 View Post
I've been looking for flashing instructions for the 6A and I found this photo.

Do I need to add jumper wires (pin8-12 and pin 10-11) as shown? Thanks.
This looks like mine.. i added no jumper....i simply used the 6 solder pads at the end for my 6 pin isp programmer.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
It will only be a problem when using an all-NFET ESC where the charge pump is driven by the half bridge's output. (HK F-20, F-30 and others).

Whether it uses a driver chip or not is not important.

It will be possible to use an all-NFET ESC if it has a separate charge pump, like the ginormous tower pro 40A heli.
Hi
Fantastic job have you done indeed! My only question is, whether this V3 code, if you can tell me, should work with this TowerPro 40A straight in or are there some modifications needed?

Huge thanks in advance!
Ronskironkeli is offline Find More Posts by Ronskironkeli
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:21 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Quote:

Good job on the 2in1 controller. I assume motor power is max 50% when motors goes opposite ways and 100% when going same direction? Motors are controlled simultaneously when going in the same direction and alternating when going opposite ways?

I wish there was robot fighting here in Norway, it seem like a load of fun!
Well, I have tested Your firmware in Dualsky XM1812 controller, it is exactly the same as Turnigy Plush 18A older (ATmega), and it works like a charm. Thank You for sharing!

I get interested in 2in1 version, as there is a lot of tanks/robots/construction machines or even toy ships and so on, driven by two motors.. and there are three wires at BL ESC
It may need carefull control in case of running opposite ways, to avoid brake effect of second motor when first gets power... 50:50 in oposite direction could be trouble-free just by turning the middle fets off and apply some PWM to both motors in series, but how is it when one should get more power and second should keep turning, even if slow? I just guess mow but I will try that...
Those two signal lines from Rx are coupled together into ESC signal, simply by diodes ? Perhaps must not be neighbour pins to detect gap between two pulses?
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Oct 2012
224 Posts
this is esc brushed have brake ? i like have brake for car
fantasy1988 is offline Find More Posts by fantasy1988
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:03 PM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Well, a brake is there, but only in center it is real brake - pulling the stick applies battery power in reverse, no detection whether motor still turns..

I did succesfull 2in1 hack by very simle cheat - doubled few lines of code (Throttle1/Throttle2, PWMOUT1/PWMOUT2) , turning YOUR code it into 2in1. Tested succesfully, even with two neighbour outputs of receiver, }coupled by two diodes and with resistor to gnd) - it works with zero problems.
For today, for a case of opposite direction motors, I did just turned backward motor OFF completely. So You may proportionaly control both forward, or both backward, or only one forward instead of two opposite (one dead-stick if pulling down from center with other motor forward).. A bit cheating, but one evening job with result great for me.. and I should upgrade this part.. Thank You once again.
EDIT: i took a test video ]xxxxold_versionxxxxhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJh8V3VKyrQ
EDIT2:
Added "failsafe" to stop without signal, and opposite motor rotation at 50%:50% of PWM.
And mix of two channels to use oldest transmitter without mixes, so one signal is throttle and second steering.

Attached is also my moddified code. I am sorry but the code is now far from nice, it was made just by attempts and errors and it is visible in it. (in contrast with beautifull original.. shame on me).
But it works:
test2in1 (1 min 32 sec)
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Last edited by coro; Oct 09, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:31 PM
Canada, BC, Prince George
Joined Dec 2008
23 Posts
Quote:
Here is the newest version. It solves a problem that is common to many bi-directional brushed motor controllers without brake.

The problem: driving at full speed, lower the throttle to coast, and just passing to the reverse side causes full braking.

This is caused when only lower or upper side of the bridge is switched.

This version switches both low an high side. Now it is possible to get a seamless transition from braking to reverse just by giving reverse throttle.

Makes it much more fun to drive cars like the Lunch Box or the Wheelie king. No need for braking, neutral, then reversing. Brake and reverse in one throttle movement. This also applies for going reverse, then forward.

I also have applied sounds: power on, arming and over temp alarm.

And I almost forgot: a adjustable dead band and adjustable drag brake for crawling! Works very well!

Enjoy
A few questions:
Wondering if this will work well, then, as a MOA crawler esc for a single brushed motor?
How do you adjust the deadband and drag brake?
Will this work for all ESCs that SimonKs firmware works with?
And does it work with only NFet ESCs?
snailshoe is offline Find More Posts by snailshoe
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:54 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailshoe View Post
A few questions:
Wondering if this will work well, then, as a MOA crawler esc for a single brushed motor?
How do you adjust the deadband and drag brake?
Will this work for all ESCs that SimonKs firmware works with?
And does it work with only NFet ESCs?
Hello!

The deadband and brake are set at the top of the .asm file.

I was testing V3 on an all-N ESCs (RCTimer 40A) with ir2101s FET drivers, and had some problems. The PWM frequency seemed really low, like 700Hz, with V3, so I tried V2. V2 worked fine, but there some some current burst when switching directions. I was fiddling with it, then pop goes a FET, even on my current-limited supply. Hmm.

Anyway, what's up with V3? I don't see in the source why PWM would be slow. Maybe some interaction with my servo tester's pulse rate.

Also, I wonder how long it takes the bootstrap capacitor to discharge. With this sort of design, it probably needs to be off every so often to let it recharge.

Edit: Nah, looks like it's intentional. Didn't want to make the PWM frequency fully adjustable, eh? Maybe I'll merge some of my code with yours.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Last edited by simonk; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:59 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
V3 switches both high and low sides of the bridge, for reasons described earlier.
Had to go back to software PWM due to lack of HW outputs.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Last edited by kapteinkuk; Oct 12, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
TowerPro 40A

Hi

I was unable to get any life to my TowerPro 40A with any of the versions. Any ideas how to overcome this or where to start diagnosing? Flashing is working as I managed to run on the brushless firmware by SimonK...
Ronskironkeli is offline Find More Posts by Ronskironkeli
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:11 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
I have one 40A that was dead on arrival. Tried replacing the 5 volt regulator that powered the board's elections (Not the BEC) because when the ESC was powered from the ISP programmer, the motor beeped and it would acceptflashing. However, when the ESC was powered normally, it was dead. Because I had flashed it, I could not return it. Based upon this experience, I now check all ESCs before flashing. Not sure if this is a similar situation as your but again, maybe it is.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter