HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
http://gothelirc.com/
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Dec 2011
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariY View Post
Is anyone having drifting issues in takeoff in manual 1 mode? Just came from field and my hexa was trying to drifting badly forward and almost flipped over but i just managed to avoid breaking another set of props. It was scratching along the ground a meter before it turned over. Takeoff in manual 2 (atti) or auto hover (gps) is working perfectly smooth without any drifts at all.
Did you make sure the Attitude angle was 0 on the GCS before you take off? It's just safer if you can do this before flight ( if possible). The other thing is you can not studder upon take off.. let say you try to take off, then the landing gear get stuck on the ground for some reason... you either have you decide if you have enough power to break it free and recover and counter the right direction... or cut the power and let it settle again.
GotHeliRC is offline Find More Posts by GotHeliRC
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:47 PM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,047 Posts
Quote:
Is anyone having drifting issues in takeoff in manual 1 mode? Just came from field and my hexa was trying to drifting badly forward and almost flipped over but i just managed to avoid breaking another set of props. It was scratching along the ground a meter before it turned over. Takeoff in manual 2 (atti) or auto hover (gps) is working perfectly smooth without any drifts at all.
I never take off in manual mode anything.

Strictly auto hover/auto take off for me.
Once the throttle has been advanced over 50% the motors spin up to take off power and I throttle back when I reach the altitude I want, be that a few feet off the ground or dozens.

If a person takes off in full manual mode, the craft is going to react to wind, ground effect, an out of balance craft, out of trim, etc and the flyer has to be on the sticks to counteract the natural forces applied to the craft in complete manual mode.

Some of the multirotor flyers did not come from an airplane background and have not taken to effect what having a proper CG means to the overall stability of the craft, be it a multirotor, heli, or airplane.

Before anyone flys a multirotor, they should check their balance..

With planes, the main concern is a too tail heavy or too nose heavy plane.
secondary concerns are lateral balance where one side is heavier than the other which will lead to roll issues when trying to fly straight or a wing dropping in certain manouvers.

With a multirotor, the builder/flyer has to be concerned with a balance that is perfect in 360 degrees of motion. This will cause drift and imbalance problems when using a manual flight controller because the controller will NOT correct for an imbalance on its own.

so for those who are experiencing serious balance issues when in the air and out of prop wash/ground effect, you have to make sure your ship is balanced perfectly dead center, that all motors are producing the same amount of thrust (nearly impossible since all motors will have slightly different KV's and props we use are NOT precision pieces of hardware) and lastly that all speed controllers have been perfectly calibrated, especially important in the YS-X6 controller to do the individual esc calibration and then perform the FC's throttle calibration.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:05 PM
Suspended Account
Australia, NSW, Albury
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
I had that issue, but in reverse, manual mode 1, perfect, manual mode 2, dreadful. I resetup the system from start, it fixed it. I think my radio swapped the two channels. Perhaps a start point for you to check.
wmedia is offline Find More Posts by wmedia
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:50 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post

Strictly auto hover/auto take off for me.
Once the throttle has been advanced over 50% the motors spin up to take off power and I throttle back when I reach the altitude I want, be that a few feet off the ground or dozens.

If a person takes off in full manual mode, the craft is going to react to wind, ground effect, an out of balance craft, out of trim, etc and the flyer has to be on the sticks to counteract the natural forces applied to the craft in complete manual mode.

Some of the multirotor flyers did not come from an airplane background and have not taken to effect what having a proper CG means to the overall stability of the craft, be it a multirotor, heli, or airplane.

Before anyone flys a multirotor, they should check their balance..

With planes, the main concern is a too tail heavy or too nose heavy plane.
secondary concerns are lateral balance where one side is heavier than the other which will lead to roll issues when trying to fly straight or a wing dropping in certain manouvers.

With a multirotor, the builder/flyer has to be concerned with a balance that is perfect in 360 degrees of motion. This will cause drift and imbalance problems when using a manual flight controller because the controller will NOT correct for an imbalance on its own.

so for those who are experiencing serious balance issues when in the air and out of prop wash/ground effect, you have to make sure your ship is balanced perfectly dead center, that all motors are producing the same amount of thrust (nearly impossible since all motors will have slightly different KV's and props we use are NOT precision pieces of hardware) and lastly that all speed controllers have been perfectly calibrated, especially important in the YS-X6 controller to do the individual esc calibration and then perform the FC's throttle calibration.
Are you talking about any controller or just the DJI?
Cause with my MK ( the KK, and the Afro board) I lift very slowly and has no drift or imbalance issues.

Cheers
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:57 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre6553 View Post
With the xa electronics i had to shoot off the ground but with my op board , rabbit and apm2 board i could slowly lift off.
I learnt to do that with the XA FC and it has become such a part of my flying technique that I just pop and correct as I take off. It is easy. So when I flew that Open Pilot and the Rabbit I used the same technique.

wrt to Manual 1 or Manual 2, I tried Manual 2 mode once and I found I never had enough control on take off, and being a bit of a control freak, I decided it was not for me. Manual 1 take off and landing is the best. I like the landing in Manual 1 as it is quite sedate and well controlled.

Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:17 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Manual Mode 1 is not really a typical manual mode that you find on other FC's. It is actually an Attitude mode, so it is still controlled by the FC (AP)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:41 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
Manual Mode 1 is not really a typical manual mode that you find on other FC's. It is actually an Attitude mode, so it is still controlled by the FC (AP)
Yes i've been taking off few times before in manual 1 before this and it has drifted slightly in every single takeoff in manual 1, but not this bad. Atti angle values are good and all other values and balancing seems to be fine. And it flies very well in every mode. Maybe i just keep using man2 or gps mode as they are working great.

Anyhow it's way easier to fly in man 1 compared to DJI or other controllers manual modes i've tried (it is obviously still auto balancing).
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY
Last edited by KariY; Jun 25, 2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Break open the champagne. I have today got perfect position hold and WOW, this is the best I have ever seen. I am so impressed.

I was having a long discussion today with ZeroUAV support. What a good bunch of people they are. We eventually found the problem, and I only had a short flight to test so I could get back to them. I will post the Video later today, together with a spliced take off and landing in Manual Mode 1.

The problem was so simple. Within the GPS case the GPS was put in upside down. It was easy to fix and I am sure it was an easy mistake when doing the assembly.

But, I am impressed. I feel now confident enough to eventually start selling them on my website.

Cheers
Rob

Raw Video added:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM4VH...ature=youtu.be
Last edited by robone; Jun 25, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Feb 2009
563 Posts
Nice one. Let's hope i am able to fix my alt-hold also. I exchanged the hkblueserie 30A + rctimer motors for my dji opto esc + dji 2212 motors. Still the same issue fluctuation of height within 1.5meters. I also tried a 3s battery instead of a 4s just to rule out my power sources but still same issue. I must say it is blowing quite a bit but I saw a video where i hold perfect altitude even in high winds. so that shouldn't be the issue. I have now send my log to gothelirc I hope they can find the issue. I must say this thing really does fly superb in Manual mode 1.
rwijnhov is online now Find More Posts by rwijnhov
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwijnhov View Post
Nice one. Let's hope i am able to fix my alt-hold also. I exchanged the hkblueserie 30A + rctimer motors for my dji opto esc + dji 2212 motors. Still the same issue fluctuation of height within 1.5meters. I also tried a 3s battery instead of a 4s just to rule out my power sources but still same issue. I must say it is blowing quite a bit but I saw a video where i hold perfect altitude even in high winds. so that shouldn't be the issue. I have now send my log to gothelirc I hope they can find the issue. I must say this thing really does fly superb in Manual mode 1.
Thanks. It took me a month to resolve, but I learnt quite a bit about the system.

Does it fluctuate in height when in GPS mode?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Feb 2009
563 Posts
Yes in manual mode 2 it doesn't seem to do alt-hold at all. And in gps mode it fluctuates 1.5m. I tried just about everything changed every gain i could change. changed batteries, motors, esc, prop, etc. It is driving me nuts. For the rest everything works fine. Good position hold, good flying in manual mode etc. Only alt-hold not working.
rwijnhov is online now Find More Posts by rwijnhov
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:42 AM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,047 Posts
Quote:
Break open the champagne. I have today got perfect position hold and WOW, this is the best I have ever seen. I am so impressed.

I was having a long discussion today with ZeroUAV support. What a good bunch of people they are. We eventually found the problem, and I only had a short flight to test so I could get back to them. I will post the Video later today, together with a spliced take off and landing in Manual Mode 1.

The problem was so simple. Within the GPS case the GPS was put in upside down. It was easy to fix and I am sure it was an easy mistake when doing the assembly.

But, I am impressed. I feel now confident enough to eventually start selling them on my website.

Cheers
Rob
wow, nice find. This will be good to know when others have similar problems.
Easy fix once it was found out it was upside down.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:52 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
286 Posts
Quote:

Cheers
Rob
Congratulations!! Good to hear it has been that simple mishap instead of hardware failure. My gps and altitude hold is so precise that i don't think it's possible to get it any better ever with current sensors.
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwijnhov View Post
Yes in manual mode 2 it doesn't seem to do alt-hold at all. And in gps mode it fluctuates 1.5m. I tried just about everything changed every gain i could change. changed batteries, motors, esc, prop, etc. It is driving me nuts. For the rest everything works fine. Good position hold, good flying in manual mode etc. Only alt-hold not working.
I know with other systems is that you can get fluctuation of this amount, when the barometer is not protected properly from propeller wash.

Maybe what ever is protecting the barometer is not covering it properly.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
wow, nice find. This will be good to know when others have similar problems.
Easy fix once it was found out it was upside down.
Quote:
Congratulations!! Good to hear it has been that simple mishap instead of hardware failure. My gps and altitude hold is so precise that i don't think it's possible to get it any better ever with current sensors.
Thanks guys...I was for one minute thinking I must get out of the business and go and fly kites

Now I can really start testing and enjoying the YS-X6.