Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:24 AM
Wish i was a flight pack
Australia, NSW, Bass Hill
Joined Jan 2012
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariY View Post
Hi, i have used with YS same but branded to maytech and flashed with simonk and it's rock solid and smooth. Highly recommend to reflash them. Also mine is flying very nice and smooth already, just need to find best possible props.

Can anyone explain how changing roll and pitch P values affect? I still have some wobble in windy with 13X6,5 props and like to have it more relaxed. It's not even close much as with wookong in Cinestar size frame with smaller props, but should i try rise or lower P value, or something else?

K
This may help explain http://www.openpilot.org/pid-tuning/
TNTJET is offline Find More Posts by TNTJET
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Stuff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:13 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Here is also a good discussion on PID settings http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post17169869

I have extracted a part of it.

P - this is the amount of corrective force applied to return the MultiRotor back to its initial position.
The amount of force is proportional to a combination of the the deviation from initial position minus any command to change direction from the controller input.
A higher P value will create a stronger force to resist any attempts to change it's position.
If the P value is too high, on the return to initial position, it will overshoot and then opposite force is needed to compensate. This creates an oscillating effect until stability is eventually reached or in severe cases becomes completely destabilised.

Increasing value for P:
It will become more solid/stable until P is too high where it starts to oscillate and loose control
You will notice a very strong resistive force to any attempts to move the MultiRotor

Decreasing value for P:
It will start to drift in control until P is too low when it becomes very unstable.
Will be less resistive to any attempts to change orientation

Aerobatic flight: Requires a slightly higher P
Gentle smooth flight: requires a slightly lower lower P

I - this is the time period for which the angular change is sampled and averaged.
The amount of force applied to return to initial position gets is increased the longer the deviation exists until a maximum force value is reached
A higher I will increase the heading hold capability

Increasing value for I:
Increase the ability to hold overall initial position and reduce drift, but also increase the delay in returning to initial position
Will also decrease the importance of P.

Decreasing value for I:
Will improve reaction to changes, but increase drift and reduce ability to hold position
Will also increase the importance of P.

Aerobatic flight: Requires a slightly lower I
Gentle smooth flight: Requires a slightly higher I

D - this is the speed at which the MultiRotor is returned to its original position.
A higher D (as it is negative value this means a lower number - i.e. closer to zero) will mean the MultiRotor wil snap back to its initial position very quickly

Increasing value for D: (remember, that means a LOWER number as it is a negative value)
Improves the speed at which deviations are recovered
With fast recovery speed comes a higher probability of overshooting and oscillations
Will also increase the effect of P

Decreasing value for D: (remember, that means a HIGHER number as it is a negative value - i.e. further from zero)
Reduces the oscillations when returning any deviations to their initial position
Recovery to initial position becomes slower
Will also decrease the effect of P

Aerobatic flight: Increase D (remember, that means a LOWER number as it is a negative value - i.e. closer to zero)
Gentle smooth flight: Decrease D (remember, that means a HIGHER number as it is a negative value - i.e. further from zero)
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Feb 2010
203 Posts
Check out this video we put together guys. It's pretty amazing.

Today, we strapped my iphone running the YS-X6 GCS to another copter.

We took off with the DJI F550 running the YS-X6 FC and set the copter into GPS hold. We then flipped on the GCS on the iphone (attached to the other copter) and put it into autofollow mode. We flew the copter around the park with the F550 following it around fully unassisted!

Although the video quality is not great, you'll get a pretty good idea of how amazing this is! I don't have my gimbal connected just yet, so the video is a bit jerky. Also, you'll notice each time the DJI needed to get the coordinates from the iphone, it dipped the nose down and headed towards it. This get's a bit annoying in the video, so hopefully the gimbal will take care of most of it once it's up and running.

Looking forward to some comments here.

If you understand the technology here, I'm sure you'll really appreciate this one!
YS-X6 Auto-following another hexacopter carrying iPhone. Amazing! (6 min 13 sec)
jdreitman is offline Find More Posts by jdreitman
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:34 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
That's some great fun stuff there.
Gave me an idea for having 5 copters following one in front.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:57 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,155 Posts
Next time we will use the Octa to do this and face the DSLR backwards. Also better to do it in the middle of the day when the sun is overhead.

Get your gimbal fixed and we will try it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdreitman View Post

We took off with the DJI F550 running the YS-X6 FC and set the copter into GPS hold. We then flipped on the GCS on the iphone (attached to the other copter) and put it into autofollow mode. We flew the copter around the park with the F550 following it around fully unassisted!

Although the video quality is not great, you'll get a pretty good idea of how amazing this is! I don't have my gimbal connected just yet, so the video is a bit jerky. Also, you'll notice each time the DJI needed to get the coordinates from the iphone, it dipped the nose down and headed towards it. This get's a bit annoying in the video, so hopefully the gimbal will take care of most of it once it's up and running.

If you understand the technology here, I'm sure you'll really appreciate this one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNPDD...ature=youtu.be
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:08 AM
Suspended Account
Australia, NSW, Albury
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdreitman View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNPDD...ature=youtu.be
Is follow me restricted to distance like waypoints? Can I get a copter to follow me in a car, and will follow me adjust altitude if say following a snow skier down a freeride park?

EDIT: I mean, if I have the router in the car for wifi relay, or in a backpack on the subject.
wmedia is offline Find More Posts by wmedia
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
Wish i was a flight pack
Joined Jan 2012
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
Next time we will use the Octa to do this and face the DSLR backwards. Also better to do it in the middle of the day when the sun is overhead.

Get your gimbal fixed and we will try it again.
very creative guys well done,
just mind the kids and dog getting tangled in those props in case of a mishap.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:15 AM
Wish i was a flight pack
Joined Jan 2012
332 Posts
follow me works on a 2d plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Feb 2009
562 Posts
Ok I just tested again and still the same problem alt-hold just don't work right. It still fluctuates by 1.5meters. Pls see the video. This entire video the copter is in gps - alt hold. WIth 9 sats locked in. For the first couple of seconds it looks good then you see it descending than fighting back and descending more and more till it almost touches the ground. I am starting to think something is wrong with my unit. Pls advice I don't think this is normal. Pids are at default I already tried vertical stable from 80-225. In the end of the video the problem gets worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kHV...ature=youtu.be
rwijnhov is offline Find More Posts by rwijnhov
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
286 Posts
Thanks Robone and TNTJET for PID tips, will watch that in-depth video after kids sleep, also might help to have few glasses of redwine.
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:55 PM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
286 Posts
Is anyone having drifting issues in takeoff in manual 1 mode? Just came from field and my hexa was trying to drifting badly forward and almost flipped over but i just managed to avoid breaking another set of props. It was scratching along the ground a meter before it turned over. Takeoff in manual 2 (atti) or auto hover (gps) is working perfectly smooth without any drifts at all.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:25 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Is anyone having drifting issues in takeoff in manual 1 mode? Just came from field and my hexa was trying to drifting badly forward and almost flipped over but i just managed to avoid breaking another set of props. It was scratching along the ground a meter before it turned over. Takeoff in manual 2 (atti) or auto hover (gps) is working perfectly smooth without any drifts at all.
I am having just the opposite. My hexa takes off and flies well in Manual Mode 1. Manual Mode 2 is okay and GPS does not work. I am busy uploading a video to show ZeroUAV.

I have learnt one thing from a previous FC and with most FC's, you have to lift off quite quickly from the ground. I 1st check to see which side lifts and then as I take off I slightly correct as I pop it off the ground.
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:57 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
With the xa electronics i had to shoot off the ground but with my op board , rabbit and apm2 board i could slowly lift off.
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:33 PM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
I am having just the opposite. My hexa takes off and flies well in Manual Mode 1. Manual Mode 2 is okay and GPS does not work. I am busy uploading a video to show ZeroUAV.

I have learnt one thing from a previous FC and with most FC's, you have to lift off quite quickly from the ground. I 1st check to see which side lifts and then as I take off I slightly correct as I pop it off the ground.
That's what i've learned too, i always shoot off quite quickly and now i immediately corrected with elevator back but no decent effect to avoid falling over. I was taking off in manual 1 because i was slightly freaking out take off yesterday with gps mode when i mistakenly set roll sensitivity value to 10. It became totally uncontrollable and flipped upside down, and scary situation was i couldn't stop motors running when it was upside down until i took battery connector off. (Protections is off in parameters) I really wish they add possibility to shut motors off immediately when pulling throttle to zero in gps mode. I really like how smoothly and stabile take off works in gps mode but it also makes me feel there's not much i can do if something goes wrong.
Last edited by KariY; Jun 24, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Feb 2010
203 Posts
You can kill the motors the same way you arm them. Bull throttle down/left, and elevator stick down/right.

Quote:
That's what i've learned too, i always shoot off quite quickly and now i immediately corrected with elevator back but no decent effect to avoid falling over. I was taking off in manual 1 because i was slightly freaking out take off yesterday with gps mode when i mistakenly set roll sensitivity value to 10. It became totally uncontrollable and flipped upside down, and scary situation was i couldn't stop motors running when it was upside down until i took battery connector off. (Protections is off in parameters) I really wish they add possibility to shut motors off immediately when pulling throttle to zero in gps mode. I really like how smoothly and stabile take off works in gps mode but it also makes me feel there's not much i can do if something goes wrong.
jdreitman is offline Find More Posts by jdreitman