HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Jan 2010
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newandaddicted View Post
Hi guys, new YS-X6 owner... My droidworx hexa is fully setup and ready to go but I'm getting some pretty weird behavior from the YS-X6 so I wanted to check with some of the experts out there...

So, I notice the following three things which I find strange. Could you let me know if any of these are normal or abnormal! I haven't yet dared to actually fly the thing and all my tests are done on the ground with motors connected but no props. I also believe I've followed all other instructions to configure everything (but haven't yet done the magnetic compass calibration)

1) The quick start guide says that the motors never stop turning when in altitude and gps mode. Well, when at home (without props attached) when I increase throttle and then reduce it (when in altitude or gps modes) the motors turn off completely and the real servo output (from the software) says throttle output is 7 (which is my minimum)

2) When in manual mode the throttle in and real throttle out are the same (e.g. 50 throttle in gives 50 throttle out). However, when in altitude or gps mode (and on the ground without props) I get something like in 20 - out 10, in 50, out 20, in 70, out 40.

Thanks!!!
guys, any suggestions? still not daring to try and fly it unless someone knowledgeable can tell me if it's behaving normally or not...

Thanks!
Protocrash is offline Find More Posts by Protocrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:49 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newandaddicted View Post
guys, any suggestions? still not daring to try and fly it unless someone knowledgeable can tell me if it's behaving normally or not...

Thanks!
Do the magnetic compass calibration and start flying. It is behaving normally.
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:05 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,952 Posts
I am done with this system. Maybe it's me but I have tried to get a good solid flying platform in the air but so far no luck.

I am selling.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:36 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,952 Posts
ok so I figured out the throttle calibration for hitech.

1) individually calibrate your flashed esc's with only half throttle as the max position.
2) do the YSX6 in GCS throttle calibration on one esc only and it will work...
3) then do it on two at at time.. this will work too.. but for some reason when adding more than two or three one of them does not take the calibration routine (you can hear it in the beeps)

So I did them individually through the GCS and the heli seems to be flying OK now. I increased the P and I a bit because of the flashed esc and I am sure I could tune it some more to get better flight performance.

Currently this is the best I can do with it and honestly after all this I am quite tired of this system.

I am definately considering selling it... I am sure there is nothing wrong with it but sometimes things just put a bad taste in your mouth.

From my tests a while back it did hold position incredibly well, I was just not happy with the flight characteristics.

Now in hind sight I am quite sure I never had the throttle calibration routine done properly through the GCS before now because of this issue with hitech radios and simonk esc's.

I think for my business I really ought to stick with one controller too to be consistant.

so if anyone wants to trade this system for a DJI WKM I have a 16 waypoint upgrade that comes with the YSX6

Steve
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:54 AM
http://gothelirc.com/
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Dec 2011
612 Posts
Steve,

Many people have problem configuring the YS is because they do not want to understand the concept of how this thing work and only want to know the step on how to do it.

All you have to do is basicly make sure you set the throttle direction correctly by looking at the GCS and low throttle should be 7 or lower and high is 90-99. If not, then you should do Channel Align again. Next I normally Power my YS and Wifi with a small separate battery, let it connect to my wifi, then go to Init set up, then V stick to arm the motor. (I do believe putting it into Init set up remove the gyro sensor out of the equation. After you arm the motor, give it full throttle then power on all your ESC at once. Wait for the beep... throttle down... you're done.

All it is is you want the YS to output a full throttle signal for all the esc before you power on the esc... In order to do that you have to V stick and full throttle to arm the motor... But in order for it to output the full throttle for all ESC it have to be in zero mode (init mode) Now I am not sure if that's exactly what it does... but it work for me in sync all the esc together.
GotHeliRC is offline Find More Posts by GotHeliRC
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:59 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,055 Posts
"Init Setup" mode disables all autopilot and stabilization features (except the motor mixer), so that the radio is controlling all the ESC's directly. Making it possible to do ESC end-point calibration without any interference.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:42 PM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
286 Posts
Steve,

Check GotHeliRC message below and do it excactly like he describes in post. Also make sure to do esc calibration with at least fully charged 4S flight pack, i had problems in esc calibration when i tried to do it with smaller 3S lipo, please don't ask why but that's how it was for me.

I had to take attitude sensitivity to 20 with flashed esc to get rid of oscillations. Not sure if it's best thing to do but it's a start and at least it works for me at the moment. Imo flight characteristics are very close to DJI stuff but YS wind resistance is maybe slightly better for me with a cost of dead calm smoothness where dji seems to be the best. Too bad that it's rarely dead calm when you need to do some shooting with your copter. Also pretty much everything else works better in my YS than it worked with WKM.

Kari

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
ok so I figured out the throttle calibration for hitech.

1) individually calibrate your flashed esc's with only half throttle as the max position.
2) do the YSX6 in GCS throttle calibration on one esc only and it will work...
3) then do it on two at at time.. this will work too.. but for some reason when adding more than two or three one of them does not take the calibration routine (you can hear it in the beeps)

So I did them individually through the GCS and the heli seems to be flying OK now. I increased the P and I a bit because of the flashed esc and I am sure I could tune it some more to get better flight performance.

Currently this is the best I can do with it and honestly after all this I am quite tired of this system.

I am definately considering selling it... I am sure there is nothing wrong with it but sometimes things just put a bad taste in your mouth.

From my tests a while back it did hold position incredibly well, I was just not happy with the flight characteristics.

Now in hind sight I am quite sure I never had the throttle calibration routine done properly through the GCS before now because of this issue with hitech radios and simonk esc's.

I think for my business I really ought to stick with one controller too to be consistant.

so if anyone wants to trade this system for a DJI WKM I have a 16 waypoint upgrade that comes with the YSX6

Steve
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY
Last edited by KariY; Dec 27, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:24 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,952 Posts
hi all, first thanks for all the help on the esc calibration.

I have done this six ways to sunday and now I found the enable insurance button.

the enable insurance only works once, then you have to un-power then re-power the FC. This is another PITA bug. And honestly half the time it does not work at all.

I finally got 5 out of 6 to calibrate through the FC at the same time but one would not.

The Hex flies much better now that most of the calibration took and I am sure if it could handle my combination of flashed esc and hitech radio it would fly fine.

however I am just done with it and it's been sold. Maybe in a while I will buy another one.

people say there have been no major bugs with this system but I say otherwise. One major one comes to mind is that in previous GCS versions once you switched from RC mode to flying by tablet mode then back more than once it LOCKED YOU OUT and you had to fly with the tablet!!!!

uummm majoy bug man! not to mention in the early days I found multiple other bugs like the fact it did not record the aircraft type to memory when using the setup. you had to do this manually (first GCS version)

things as simple as the the manual putting the wrong numbers beside the aircraft type too...

I am sure it's great for some... and it will have a happy new home with someone VERY knowelgable with YS... who I am sure will install it and have no problems! hahaha...

I wish everyone the best with this system and one day I may be convinced to try it again.

Steve
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:44 PM
Simple is the best
Joined May 2011
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHeliRC View Post
Steve,

Many people have problem configuring the YS is because they do not want to understand the concept of how this thing work and only want to know the step on how to do it.

All you have to do is basicly make sure you set the throttle direction correctly by looking at the GCS and low throttle should be 7 or lower and high is 90-99. If not, then you should do Channel Align again. Next I normally Power my YS and Wifi with a small separate battery, let it connect to my wifi, then go to Init set up, then V stick to arm the motor. (I do believe putting it into Init set up remove the gyro sensor out of the equation. After you arm the motor, give it full throttle then power on all your ESC at once. Wait for the beep... throttle down... you're done.

All it is is you want the YS to output a full throttle signal for all the esc before you power on the esc... In order to do that you have to V stick and full throttle to arm the motor... But in order for it to output the full throttle for all ESC it have to be in zero mode (init mode) Now I am not sure if that's exactly what it does... but it work for me in sync all the esc together.
Thank you @GotHeliRC
it's partially work for me.
Now all motors synchronous on the manual mode. All motors starting after the %10 throtle on manual mode.
But other modes (altitude hold and auto hover ) not synchronous and motors starting after the %35-40 throtle.

Elevator is seen Push3 after the channel aligment when the channel calibration
Should I use subtrim for setup MP ?
regards
Widelec is offline Find More Posts by Widelec
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
http://gothelirc.com/
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Dec 2011
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widelec View Post
Thank you @GotHeliRC
it's partially work for me.
Now all motors synchronous on the manual mode. All motors starting after the %10 throtle on manual mode.
But other modes (altitude hold and auto hover ) not synchronous and motors starting after the %35-40 throtle.

Elevator is seen Push3 after the channel aligment when the channel calibration
Should I use subtrim for setup MP ?
regards

Try the "Neutral" on GCS... if that doesn't help, then you can try subtrim on your radio.... Also, check your Attitude value, should be 0,0 when it's on level surface... Unless that's 0,0 motors won't all start the same.
GotHeliRC is offline Find More Posts by GotHeliRC
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Does anyone know:

1. Will the WiFi on the YS-X6, operating at 2.4GHz interfere with my Spektrum radio also at 2.4GHz?
2. When will the extenders for the WiFi be available to take the default range from the advertised 300m to ~5000m?

Thank you.
kalsc is offline Find More Posts by kalsc
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:41 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsc View Post
Does anyone know:

1. Will the WiFi on the YS-X6, operating at 2.4GHz interfere with my Spektrum radio also at 2.4GHz?
2. When will the extenders for the WiFi be available to take the default range from the advertised 300m to ~5000m?

Thank you.
1. I'll let zero tech people to answer that but I dont think they're familiar with DSM2/ DSMX protocol. However, based on my experience in using FASTT system as well as other people that use DSM2 system: no.

2. The data radio which operates on 900Mhz will give you the extended range. If that frequency is no open to use in your country then you may want to bring your own wifi router + range booster to the field. From practical point of view, dont expect to travel KMs away back and forth with full gear. You're flying multirotor, not planks.

hope this hels.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
GCS helper with voice

ys x6 GCS Helper (1 min 17 sec)

Not only can you now watch you flight being plotted on a graph but it can also tell you of potential problems.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post23656704

Unfortunately there is up to a 5 second delay due to not having access to the protocol spec.
And you need to have the YS GCS running.

Without access I can not make a YS > Mavlink translator on board due to not being to detect corrupt packets.

If you can do me a favor,
If you own a YS System and would like a better GCS, emailing them requesting it be made public.
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:12 AM
Joined May 2008
68 Posts
I successfully setup my ys-x6 on an octo frame and had few flights on it. I got a new hexa frame and tried to setup the ys-x6 on it. Did all the same procedure as before but now it won't arm.
Checked all data in the gcs and all seemed fine, stick direction, aircraft type 3, etc. But this time the esc's are not beeping so i can't do esc calibration. All esc's and motors are working fine when individually checked without passing through the autopilot
Setup was done in accordance with the install guide.
The esc's are not beeping. The motors wont arm. Can't figure out what's wrong this time.
Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers.
ikotikot is offline Find More Posts by ikotikot
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:59 AM
RTF copters maker
South France
Joined Jan 2008
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikotikot View Post
I successfully setup my ys-x6 on an octo frame and had few flights on it. I got a new hexa frame and tried to setup the ys-x6 on it. Did all the same procedure as before but now it won't arm.
Checked all data in the gcs and all seemed fine, stick direction, aircraft type 3, etc. But this time the esc's are not beeping so i can't do esc calibration. All esc's and motors are working fine when individually checked without passing through the autopilot
Setup was done in accordance with the install guide.
The esc's are not beeping. The motors wont arm. Can't figure out what's wrong this time.
Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers.
Hi, remove propellers and try to reverse throttle channel !
Cheers
Maximus
maximus-rc is offline Find More Posts by maximus-rc