HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, NH, Barrington
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumhobbies View Post
Do one esc and motor at a time and then retry. I never recommend to do all at the same time.
Been hung up with gimbal issues. Turns out I had the wrong firmware loaded - some screw-up on the download site I guess. The Steadi470 uses different FW than YS-X6 (I think). In any case, it is a different size file! So anyone updating FW for the Steadi470, be sure you are using that specific FW.

Am waiting for my battery to come up to charge so I can go do a tie down test outside. I have all motors starting together though #4 still cuts out. According to Zero, that will be rectified once I put props on...??? Just in case.....I took off my camera and a couple of bungies connected to a heavy sandbag so the thing won't take off. If all goes will, onward to a hover test. Should know by the end of the day if everything is working okay or not.
Socratic is offline Find More Posts by Socratic
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Sep 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajar View Post
Just try to compensate the TBE by slightly pointing the compass to the appropriate direction, e.g. if TBE was occurring in clockwise direction, compensate it by slightly pointing the compass in counter clockwise direction.
Finally got my bird back in the air after 2 months of waiting.

Thanks for the help that worked no more tbe effect now sits in place. The next thing I am wondering about is the twitch in gps mode I think it is from gains. which are the correct gains to change to affect this issue.

And if it hasn't been done yet can somebody lay out what they mean and what they would affect. If it has can I have the link have not located this info yet.
PTZ roll
PTZ Pitch
Attitude sensitivity
Motion Compensation
Vertical stable
Vertical max speed
platinumhobbies is offline Find More Posts by platinumhobbies
Last edited by platinumhobbies; Dec 07, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Results were not good! #4 Still cutting out - even at takeofff RPM. Anyone have any idea what might be going on???

ZeroUAV Steadi470 Troubleshooting Motor Cutout (0 min 36 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Sep 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic View Post
Results were not good! #4 Still cutting out - even at takeofff RPM. Anyone have any idea what might be going on???

http://youtu.be/fGISpirZ9AU
Have you tried to change #4 to a different channel say #3 and see if the problem continues on a different motor if it does than it is flight controller if it does not than it is motor or esc going out under load. back track to see what is going wrong is the easiest way not to go grey.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:09 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Do one esc and motor at a time and then retry. I never recommend to do all at the same time.
I think you may be talking about the ESC calibration.

To do the throttle calibration, this must be done with all the motors at once.
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Sep 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
I think you may be talking about the ESC calibration.

To do the throttle calibration, this must be done with all the motors at once.
Yes I was
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Have you tried to change #4 to a different channel say #3 and see if the problem continues on a different motor if it does than it is flight controller if it does not than it is motor or esc going out under load. back track to see what is going wrong is the easiest way not to go grey.
Yes I did the motor swap. I plugged motor 3 into output m4 and got the same results on motor 3. I wrote an inquiry to FrSky as I am using their Sbus receiver - didn't know if that could be playing a role.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:23 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Yes I did the motor swap. I plugged motor 3 into output m4 and got the same results on motor 3. I wrote an inquiry to FrSky as I am using their Sbus receiver - didn't know if that could be playing a role.
Pretty sure it's esc related problem as I got the same thing about a couple of months ago. I re-did esc calibration and all's good. If you have esc program card, recheck the settings for each your escs.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajar View Post
Pretty sure it's esc related problem as I got the same thing about a couple of months ago. I re-did esc calibration and all's good. If you have esc program card, recheck the settings for each your escs.
Thanks for the comment.... What I don't understand though, is if the ESC needs recalibration, why would it work just fine when plugged into #3 motor slot? And vice versa. I'd be surprised if it had anything to do with ESCs. I don't have a card or I would check it out - guess I might have to pick one up and check things closer.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:08 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the comment.... What I don't understand though, is if the ESC needs recalibration, why would it work just fine when plugged into #3 motor slot? And vice versa. I'd be surprised if it had anything to do with ESCs. I don't have a card or I would check it out - guess I might have to pick one up and check things closer.
Clearly the problem you're having is not caused by the motors.

The YS-X6 requires the escs to be calibrated all at once, this is a system specific requirement unlike in other FC. In my experience even if one has already calibrated the throttle range directly by connecting the esc to the receiver, it still requires flight controller's throttle range calibration. This is a specific step that involves activation of a certain button in the ground control station. This calibration process basically tells the FC that all escs are calibrated and the range is recognized by the FC. Without it, the YS-X6 would not be able to equalize the throttle range of every ESCs nor would it be provided with throttle range data.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:06 AM
RTF copters maker
South France
Joined Jan 2008
1,185 Posts
IMU is very sensible to bad vibrations I've had before replacing motor plates by thicker ones...
And when all is ok, YS-X6 is always a pleasure to fly with !!!
Cheers
Maximus

YS X6 COAXIAL OCTO FLIGHT TIME TEST (1 min 1 sec)
maximus-rc is offline Find More Posts by maximus-rc
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Feb 2006
725 Posts
Socratic. If you repeat the test, no stick order can make the stoped engine be alive again? In my case I saw it on bench test but maybe yawing to one side or the other or pushing the elev stick (if it is a rear engine) makes it run again and slowly stop the opposite engine.
elossam is offline Find More Posts by elossam
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elossam View Post
Socratic. If you repeat the test, no stick order can make the stoped engine be alive again? In my case I saw it on bench test but maybe yawing to one side or the other or pushing the elev stick (if it is a rear engine) makes it run again and slowly stop the opposite engine.
Here is the video where I tried various stick positions and also swapped out the motor leads. In my mind, it narrows things down to either the FC or SBus/Receiver. ???

YS-X6 Troubleshooting - Motor Swap With Propellers (3 min 22 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
gimbal function not working

Hey guys well I got the shake out of my x8 setup finally all is well and running smooth but after testing my new airframe out I went to put my gimball on then my Kimball out on the ys doesn't t seem to work it worked on my flat October but now the servos don t seem to get any juice weird anyone else have these problem ....was also wondering if anyone has had a motor cutility out midnight ? Did not happen until I put 6s on it it's like the motor goes really slow when I turn then it squelched when it wants to fire back up but can't anyone think tks an esc thing don't see why the ys would have these probs

Cheers
fish3man is offline Find More Posts by fish3man
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jan 2010
365 Posts
Hi guys, new YS-X6 owner... My droidworx hexa is fully setup and ready to go but I'm getting some pretty weird behavior from the YS-X6 so I wanted to check with some of the experts out there...

So, I notice the following three things which I find strange. Could you let me know if any of these are normal or abnormal! I haven't yet dared to actually fly the thing and all my tests are done on the ground with motors connected but no props. I also believe I've followed all other instructions to configure everything (but haven't yet done the magnetic compass calibration)

1) The quick start guide says that the motors never stop turning when in altitude and gps mode. Well, when at home (without props attached) when I increase throttle and then reduce it (when in altitude or gps modes) the motors turn off completely and the real servo output (from the software) says throttle output is 7 (which is my minimum)

2) When in manual mode the throttle in and real throttle out are the same (e.g. 50 throttle in gives 50 throttle out). However, when in altitude or gps mode (and on the ground without props) I get something like in 20 - out 10, in 50, out 20, in 70, out 40.

Thanks!!!
Protocrash is offline Find More Posts by Protocrash