HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
David...you still need to do the ESC/Throttle stroke calibration, even if the ESC's are calibrated separately. You are actually syncing the throttle to the ESC's.

Try taking off in Manual mode 1. It is a full attitude mode and this way you can see if everything is working.....Rob
Rob, I re-installed the early July firmware version and the white/yellow light no longers shows itself indicating that I got it wrong in terms of light colouring (I'll concede that the light colour is a very pale yellow bordering on white). However the battery alarm still sounds off very early into the flight. This is from a fully charged battery (I have the alarm set at 3.5 volts per cell). I have also verified that it is not possible for the power distribution board to short out due to possible airframe stresses and such during flight. So therefore at this moment the problem appears to be flight duration due to rapidly exhausted batteries. My next step is to move just the YS-X6 to another airframe/motors/esc/battery set-up to see if the problem moves with it.
david.scarbrow is offline Find More Posts by david.scarbrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
What I do is load the android GCS and while connected to Internet, locate the area I want to fly in. Then on the Map I press the Locate tab and press save location. Then when I get to the site all I do is load the saved map by pressing "load Location"
Thanks.
Im not sure if using wifi hotspot, can we have live google map updates on the GCS without having to pre-save the map.
Snoopyboy is offline Find More Posts by Snoopyboy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:33 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyboy View Post
Thanks.
Im not sure if using wifi hotspot, can we have live google map updates on the GCS without having to pre-save the map.
If you have a 3G connection and use the tablet as a hotspot then you will get live google map updates, as long as it is an android.

Not sure how any Apple products will work now that apple don't use google maps anymore.
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.scarbrow View Post
Rob, I re-installed the early July firmware version and the white/yellow light no longers shows itself indicating that I got it wrong in terms of light colouring (I'll concede that the light colour is a very pale yellow bordering on white). However the battery alarm still sounds off very early into the flight. This is from a fully charged battery (I have the alarm set at 3.5 volts per cell). I have also verified that it is not possible for the power distribution board to short out due to possible airframe stresses and such during flight. So therefore at this moment the problem appears to be flight duration due to rapidly exhausted batteries. My next step is to move just the YS-X6 to another airframe/motors/esc/battery set-up to see if the problem moves with it.
Did you set correctly the number of cells in the GCS? if set wrongly, the low voltage warning will comes in early.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Did you set correctly the number of cells in the GCS? if set wrongly, the low voltage warning will comes in early.
Snoopyboy, well I ensured that it indicated 4, meaning for a 4S Lipo. When I tried some úS Lipos I changed it to a 3....still the same problem though. After doing all this 'stuff' for what seems to be a reasonably straightforward problem I am now of the belief that the YS-X6 correctly senses the low voltage, hence the yellow light coming on, and that the problem is more to do with the motors eating up battery storage as though it is going out of fashion. This is the key reason for me to want to try out just the YS-X6 on a completely different frame,motor/ESC/Battery set-up.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre6553 View Post
I got sucsess connecting my galaxy tab2 to my ysx6 by using the galaxy tab as an hotspot.

Because i dont have a router it make things much difficult.

Here is my route.

I have a jailbroken iphone4 so i use it to connect to the ysx6 wifi link.
Then i connect with my laptop to the same wifi network.

On my laptop go to browser and type in 192.168.1.254
A login screen apear and ask for user name and password = admin

Change to english and go to setup screen.
Scroll down and change nerwork ip address to 192.168.43.254 i change the gateway ip as well by just change the 1 to 43

Click save
And on the bottom there is also an buton that state that settings wound work if unit is not rebooted so i done that.

Reboot wifi ysx6 unit by unplug the power and re power it up

On the galaxy tablet on the netinfo screen change the ip to 192.168.43.254

And thats all i did
Can i check you replace the 1 with 43, this is a standard number/input for galaxy tab or u have to check from your device for the correct ip address?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:20 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Can i check you replace the 1 with 43, this is a standard number/input for galaxy tab or u have to check from your device for the correct ip address?
Yes thats what i did
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:56 PM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
david, pm me a flight log if you want
Easy to spot if it is detecting the low voltage incorrectly.
A current sensor will help too.
It may be drawing more current than you expect.
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:29 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_westie View Post
Not glitch
Not wind/shake
Not tilt.
Not manual motor shutdown
Not low battery
Looks like I can add one more crash condition.
Mid air baro reset.

I didn't see it before in the replay until YS support pointed it out.
Pre flight it jumps around a bit. -4 to 31.
The data frame that shows the motor turning off, also shows the alt changing from 34 to 1.
Making it think it has landed.
Another example of poor testing/programming.
A simple check in code would have prevented this.
I will add this error check in my GCS companion program.

I will review my log files and see when this started happening.

So, if you are not flying with a GCS you will not be able to see this error condition.
Lesson, do not fly without a GCS if you are doing anything important or do not want to loose your craft due to a preventable crash.
Last edited by Mr_westie; Oct 09, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
david, pm me a flight log if you want
Easy to spot if it is detecting the low voltage incorrectly.
A current sensor will help too.
It may be drawing more current than you expect.
Mr_westie, I'll do another recorded flight as is tomorrow morning and PM it to you. Many thanks for that. I don't have a current sensor at this time but it looks like it is a reasonable addition to the toolkit. When you say it may be drawing more current than I expect...where from do you think ? My expectations are built upon previous performances of the same aircraft, same motors, batteries, etc..
Last edited by david.scarbrow; Oct 09, 2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:34 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.scarbrow View Post
When you say it may be drawing more current than I expect...where from do you think ? My expectations are built upon previous performances of the same aircraft, same motors, batteries, etc..
Seems like you have got that covered.
Was just putting it out there.
For a fresh build there are unknowns.
But if it is an already proven setup then it may be something else.

How much charge (mah) are you putting into the batteries after the low voltage warning?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Seems like you have got that covered.
Was just putting it out there.
For a fresh build there are unknowns.
But if it is an already proven setup then it may be something else.

How much charge (mah) are you putting into the batteries after the low voltage warning?
Mr_westie, the batteries are going in at the start of 98-99% for each cell (5Ah, 4S, 45-90C discharge rate) and ending up after a few minutes hovering at around 20% tops. Strangely the alarm sounds off and the yellow light come on almost together at about 2 minutes of flight indicating that the pre-set 3.65 volt condition has been arrived at (load conditions) but when I connect the battery to the Lipo Battery Guard it indicates that there is still around 60% remaining. I have then re-connected to the aircraft and hovered for a couple of more minutes, stopped and checked the battery again and the Battery Guard then indicates typically a 15-20% figure. The batteries are supposedly up to it but I just cannot see what can cause such a dramatic movement of electrons from the battery in such a short space of time...the motors and ESCs are quite cool but the battery is quite warm and slightly swollen. The batteries charge OK up to 99% OK and at this time I could consider purchasing brand new batteries but it is an expensive outlay if something is effectively shorting them out.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:44 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,952 Posts
ok so how many people are running this controller with a large octo?

I am looking at using it to fly a massive octo... it will carry very expensive camera's but it seems there is less and less confidence in this hardware...

anyone actually happy with this thing running on a heavy octo?

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Feb 2006
75 Posts
I have an odd problem with my FC, I do not get a blue led when in middle switch position on Ch5. I get a green led in position 3, a red led in position 2, and no led in position 1.
Also when I monitor the output on my Galaxy S3 android app, I get Manual in positions 1 and 2, and Auto Hovering, Auto Navigation and Back Landing in position 3 depending on Ch6 switch position.
Also I get a white led when the battery drops below about 10 volts on a 4 cell pack, but the App display says 25.1v for a fully charged 4 cell pack, and doesn't seem to work properly.
Has anybody else had these problems?

David
f3fisa is offline Find More Posts by f3fisa
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:34 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
ok so how many people are running this controller with a large octo?

I am looking at using it to fly a massive octo... it will carry very expensive camera's but it seems there is less and less confidence in this hardware...

anyone actually happy with this thing running on a heavy octo?

Steve
Dont think so many off us fly big machines i will be able to answer that question when im done building my 1200 mm motor to motor frame
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553