Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:44 PM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Cracked the modules open.
Looks user repairable if I didn't want to wait for a potential replacement turnaround.
Estimated at 4 weeks.
Although I really need to figure out why it crashed in the first place.

-Wifi.
Led crushed by the light tube.
Inductor partially broken.

-Flight Controller.
Led crushed by the light tube.
Inductor partially broken.
Capacitor ejected off board.

-IMU
IC shifted, pads ripped off board.
Top case show signs of impact from components

$5 in replacement components
1 hr with on the bench.

Buggy firmware - Priceless
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Following on from my problem with motor spin-up, etc...I have stripped the machine and rebuilt it to ensure for myself that I had got it right...all ok on that front but the problem is still there. I've checked the settings and they appear to be all ok... aircrft type 1, SBUS, etc.. I took a risk and attempted to fly it, but it in auto, and it immediately flipped as a couple of motors are too high in revs and started to lift the machine before the other two get up to speed. I noticed something in the manual about setting it to aircraft type 10 but to be careful of the props. ??? and in the absence of not knowing what to do next and just for the sheer hell of it all I set the aircraft to type 10 and sure enough it overcomes the spin-up problem...the motors spin up generally together but at a tremendous rate...so much that it still flips the aircraft. I'm absolutely lost on what to do about this problem. Rob, if I have to get anew one do I wave bye-bye to my waypoint upgrades ? One small point though that I have just thought of is the waypoint enhancement upgrade was installed between the initial crash and just recently when the aircraft parts arrived. this is the first time that this aircraft has 'flown' with the upgrade...any thoughts on that ? Before the initial crash and the upgrade the aircraft was a dream to fly with absolutely no problems at all.
david.scarbrow is offline Find More Posts by david.scarbrow
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:56 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Do they spin up at the same time when in 'Init' mode?

I would think if you got a new unit additional unit you would not get an extra upgrade.
If you had your current one replaced, any upgrades would be carried over.
If not, that would be a poor replacement policy.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Mr-Westie...that was a very quick reply...No the problem is the same regardless...I've also replaced the receiver, disconnected the IMU and the Wi-fi so I'm pretty much sure itisn'to do with that . At the moment it all seems to point to the MC.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:54 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Just getting my morning interweb hit

If they don't spin up at the same time in init mode, you need to redo throttle range calibration.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
Armenia, Yerevan
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
Hello everyone. My copter in X650, MT3506. 12X60 fiber prop, 3S.YS-X6. flying weight 1.5kg. I calibrat it many time ,but when I want take off it go right. one else if I push throttle ,the motors starts same time at 10%, and want fly when throttle is 75% , when I down throttle to 30-25% the two motors was stoped.I calibrated ESC throttle range,but that problem is still there
ArturARM is offline Find More Posts by ArturARM
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:35 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.scarbrow View Post
Mr-Westie...that was a very quick reply...No the problem is the same regardless...I've also replaced the receiver, disconnected the IMU and the Wi-fi so I'm pretty much sure itisn'to do with that . At the moment it all seems to point to the MC.
What esc:s do you use, and have you calibrated throttle range all at same time via ys controller or y-cable? And i assume you have also removed red wire from connector if they are with bec.
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY
Last edited by KariY; Sep 30, 2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:00 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Following on from my problem with motor spin-up, etc...I have stripped the machine and rebuilt it to ensure for myself that I had got it right...all ok on that front but the problem is still there. I've checked the settings and they appear to be all ok... aircrft type 1, SBUS, etc.. I took a risk and attempted to fly it, but it in auto, and it immediately flipped as a couple of motors are too high in revs and started to lift the machine before the other two get up to speed. I noticed something in the manual about setting it to aircraft type 10 but to be careful of the props. ??? and in the absence of not knowing what to do next and just for the sheer hell of it all I set the aircraft to type 10 and sure enough it overcomes the spin-up problem...the motors spin up generally together but at a tremendous rate...so much that it still flips the aircraft. I'm absolutely lost on what to do about this problem. Rob, if I have to get anew one do I wave bye-bye to my waypoint upgrades ? One small point though that I have just thought of is the waypoint enhancement upgrade was installed between the initial crash and just recently when the aircraft parts arrived. this is the first time that this aircraft has 'flown' with the upgrade...any thoughts on that ? Before the initial crash and the upgrade the aircraft was a dream to fly with absolutely no problems at all.
Hi David

It sounds to me as if the throttle calibration needs to be done again. Is everything on a new frame? If so, then did you recalibrate everything again after installation.

Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturARM View Post
Hello everyone. My copter in X650, MT3506. 12X60 fiber prop, 3S.YS-X6. flying weight 1.5kg. I calibrat it many time ,but when I want take off it go right. one else if I push throttle ,the motors starts same time at 10%, and want fly when throttle is 75% , when I down throttle to 30-25% the two motors was stoped.I calibrated ESC throttle range,but that problem is still there
I see you IMU is sitting below your Main Controller. The is a lot if EMi below the MC so rather put your IMU on top of the MC. If located below the MC, it has been know to cause interference and difficulties in calibrating

Are you using the sponge under the IMU. If so remove it and use double sided tape.

Try recalibrating the throttle range again. Have you zeroed your gyro's

Take off in Manual mode 1 first and see if it works. I find that flying in Manual Mode 2 (Altitude hold mode) it sometimes moves to the right when taking off. I now only take off and fly in Manual mode 1 as this is the Attitude mode, and then move directly to Position Hold mode when needed.

Edit: I have read that the MT3506 has timing issues using different esc's and Club Heli have this on the website "Please note that our Technical Support Team recommends that these motors operate best when you use a "HIGH" timing for the PWM ESCs. We are also finding that they do NOT work with some MK i2c speed controllers." Maybe this is your problem. Personally I try and keep away from pancake motors.

Edit2: Your maximum thrust for those motors with the props that you are using is about 890g (I used 12x3.8 as no data for 12x6) so using the empirical formula of 50% of max thrust the max AUW you can carry is 1780g, which means you almost at you max AUW, which is not desirable. http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=142

Rob
Last edited by robone; Sep 30, 2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
Hi David

It sounds to me as if the throttle calibration needs to be done again. Is everything on a new frame? If so, then did you recalibrate everything again after installation.

Rob
Rob and Mr-Westie, just picked up your responses...the airframe is a 1001copters bagheera 600, the motors are Axi 2824/22 and the ESCs are DJI 30A Optos. I have removed the centre wire (red one) from the plug. Just so that I can be absolutely sure on this and I realise it is a big ask can one of you guys write out an idiots guide for me on calibrating these ESCs on the YS-X6 (step-by-step, etc.) ? I do not use ipads or smartphones, at this time I can only use my desktop/notebook PC for setup which is not brilliantly spelt out in the manual (I have to carry out a fair amount of secondary translation and interpretations with all of its additional inherent problems...eg...channel calibration).

I realise I have probably missed out on something but for the life of me I just cannot see what it could be.
Last edited by david.scarbrow; Sep 30, 2012 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:20 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Rob and Mr-Westie, just picked up your responses...the airframe is a 1001copters bagheera 600, the motors are Axi 2824/22 and the ESCs are DJI 30A Optos. I have removed the centre wire (red one) from the plug. Just so that I can be absolutely sure on this and I realise it is a big ask can one of you guys write out an idiots guide for me on calibrating these ESCs on the YS-X6 (step-by-step, etc.) ? I do not use ipads or smartphones, at this time I can only use my desktop/notebook PC for setup which is not brilliantly spelt out in the manual (I have to carry out a fair amount of secondary translation and interpretations with all of its additional inherent problems...eg...channel calibration).

I realise I have probably missed out on something but for the life of me I just cannot see what it could be.
Hi David

I have never used the PC GCS to calibrate the system, so I cannot help you there.

On the GCS for the Android Tablet/phone they have an "install guide" which takes you through each step needed. It is well written and easy to understand. And I cannot see the install guide on the PC GCS.

Later today, I will go through each step and write it down and post it here.

Rob
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:49 AM
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Rob, many thanks, that would be brilliant. From the processes of elimination it seems to be down to stuff like incorrect calibration steps, etc. or the FC as a very last possibility (I really hope it is not that).
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Hi David

This is almost a direct extract from the "Install Guide" on the Android Tablet. I have not translated it.

Start Install

Check Data is connected. If connected click next

Step 1 : Please press the button "Channel Alignment" and confirm it, and then push/pull all pole positions of the RC Tx to the maximum and minimum of the leftmost/rightmost within 5 seconds. After 5 seconds the AP will finish the auto collection. Please confirm whether the manual operation and real RC operation displayed in "Data Interface" keep coincidency when moving any operating level. Only go to the next step after confirming that they are coincident.

Step 2: Check CH5/CH6 and set FS

Please carefully confirm whether the CH5/CH6 channel is correct: check whether the flight status bar on the GCS interface is switched to "Manual" "Circle Position" "Auto waypoint circling" and "back Landing" when moving CH5/CH6.
Set the FS of RC Tx as CH5=position 3, Channel 6: position 3, Thr is near the middle position and check whther the flight status is "Back Landing" by powering off the RC Tx.

Step 3: ESC stroke calibration

Please get into the settings first (Flight status displays "Settings", break the pole as V shaped to open throttle insurance and push the THR pole position to the maximum within 5 seconds, power on the ESC after completing above operation. Pull the throttle pole back to minimum after a prompt sound from the ESC. After completing the ESC stroke calibration please exit the settings, and get into next step.

Step 4: Set craft styles and parameters

Please read the user manual carefully, fill in correct parameters and recheck it. Push the throttle after breaking the pole and check whether the mixing control method is correct after starting the motors

Step 5: Check the installing directions of the IMU/GPS

Step 6: Complete magnetic calibration in outdoor space
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
[QUOTE=robone;228727

Please carefully confirm whether the CH5/CH6 channel is correct: check whether the flight status bar on the GCS interface is switched to "Manual" "Circle Position" "Auto waypoint circling" and "back Landing" when moving CH5/CH6.
Set the FS of RC Tx as CH5=position 3, Channel 6: position 3, Thr is near the middle position and check whther the flight status is "Back Landing" by powering off the RC Tx.

Which is correct? Based on manual version 1.2, fail safe setting is ch5 position 3 and channel 6 on position 1. After power off it will go into hover mode and 3 secs later it will do back landing if no transmitter signal is recovered.
Snoopyboy is offline Find More Posts by Snoopyboy
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post

Which is correct? Based on manual version 1.2, fail safe setting is ch5 position 3 and channel 6 on position 1. After power off it will go into hover mode and 3 secs later it will do back landing if no transmitter signal is recovered.
I checked the Manual and that is what it says. I would however prefer mine to go straight to Back Landing if it lost signal, and I have set it up as per the instructions on the Android install guide.