Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 08, 2012, 09:51 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
Poll
Carbon Cub Servo Issue Poll

For those of us who have ordered, received, and flown the Carbon Cub, who has experienced consistent problems with any of their servos? I have a feeling that the people who are coming forth are a small number of the CC owner population.
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 10:51 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,054 Posts
I'm not reading the other thread. What "issues" are we speaking about specifically?

I got my CC today and I am thoroughly impressed. AS3X does exactly as advertised and that airplane "feels" like a MUCH larger airplane in the air. I only have one short flight on it, so I can't comment on the servos yet. So far, so good though.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old May 08, 2012, 10:55 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,255 Posts
Oops, take off one vote of problem servos, mine are fine and I hit the wrong button... sorry
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old May 09, 2012, 12:43 AM
ISP Supervisor
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
I'm not reading the other thread. What "issues" are we speaking about specifically?

I got my CC today and I am thoroughly impressed. AS3X does exactly as advertised and that airplane "feels" like a MUCH larger airplane in the air. I only have one short flight on it, so I can't comment on the servos yet. So far, so good though.

-Jay
Some people have been experiencing servos that are locking up.
Old May 09, 2012, 12:49 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, Helsinki
Joined Nov 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post

-Jay
This one: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...585631&page=81
vmmattil is offline Find More Posts by vmmattil
Old May 09, 2012, 05:25 AM
Cloverdale, VA
Joined Nov 2009
44 Posts
my Flap servo has locked in the landing position... was setting up my radio then I heard this awful whining sound, all the other servos are working, just the Flaps are fully deployed and aren't budging.
BuckarooVT90 is offline Find More Posts by BuckarooVT90
Old May 09, 2012, 05:58 AM
Cloverdale, VA
Joined Nov 2009
44 Posts
upon closer inspection through the window, it looks like the spur gear on the servo motor has come off.
Old May 09, 2012, 08:08 AM
Dbl
United States, MN, New Hope
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckarooVT90 View Post
upon closer inspection through the window, it looks like the spur gear on the servo motor has come off.
Exactly the same thing happened to mine if you look at the other post on the CC. Mine did it the first time in my LHS. Replaced the servo and checked everything out while it was split in half and on the second flight the elevator servo jammed and it nosed into the ground. No longer fixable!
Dbl is online now Find More Posts by Dbl
Old May 09, 2012, 08:42 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,826 Posts
So I guess the lesson here is we should never pre-order or buy the first run of the HH micros?!!

Seems like every time a new one is released, there's a host of problems that people go through.

Although these servo probs - they're the same servos HH has used for years, you'd think they'd get the right by now!!!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old May 09, 2012, 09:54 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
So I guess the lesson here is we should never pre-order or buy the first run of the HH micros?!!

Seems like every time a new one is released, there's a host of problems that people go through.

Although these servo probs - they're the same servos HH has used for years, you'd think they'd get the right by now!!!
I'd have to agree here.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old May 09, 2012, 10:05 AM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,213 Posts
Wonder how HH is taking this? Looks to me they'll be replacing alot of CC. Mine was the right aileron servo it not only seized up and made alot of weird noises but the motor got HOT and thne the servo motor mount was split and not glued on properly. Sending it back to my LHS and have them give me a new one and will check it BEFOREleaving the store to make sure all is working right. Look forward to hearing what HH explains this mess. Hope this doesn't reflect on the coming planes like the glider,spitfire and mig cause if it happens thne they'll have some serious sales issues .
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old May 09, 2012, 10:06 AM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,213 Posts
the servo are they the same ones that were on the Corsair to? remember that problem, mmmmm
Old May 09, 2012, 12:23 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
These are actually new servos that have only been around since December, and these servos are being asked to move around much more than the old ones.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old May 09, 2012, 12:25 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
the servo are they the same ones that were on the Corsair to? remember that problem, mmmmm
They are different from the Corsair servos, but all of the things that could go wrong with the corsair servos can go wrong with these + much more (larger motor, different rack design, constant movement)
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old May 09, 2012, 12:38 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2005
66 Posts
My flap servo was temperamental out of the box, but seemed to sort itself when I followed advice on the main thread and reduced the servo travel. The problem came back though and now the servo has gone altogether, cub only has one flight on it.

Gotta say the Horizon ultra micro foamies i've had, a T-28, UM Stryker and now the Carbon Cub have been a bit of a mixed bag for me. First lets just say they've all been brilliant when it comes to the flying, the Stryker in particular has been a laugh and i'm really impressed with the AS3X in the Cub.

The downside to all three models i've owned has to be the build quality and overall finish. I don't think the lightweight materials used in these models is ideally suited to mass production as a great deal of care is required on assembly to end up with an ideal finish. All of my models came out of the box with various issues. Fingernail marks, dents and creases in the foam parts, misplaced, misaligned or bubbled decals, glue all over the place etc. Sure these things wont matter a few crashes down the line, but it just takes a little polish away from a brand new out of the box model. This isn't just a Horizon issue mind, you also read alot on these forums of quality issues with these mass produced RTFs.
Maybe i'm just being picky, maybe a decade of building static scale models made it so, dunno, but sometimes I just with Horizon would sell these models as nice complete kits for the people who like to build stuff.
Happymeal is offline Find More Posts by Happymeal
Old May 09, 2012, 01:50 PM
Cloverdale, VA
Joined Nov 2009
44 Posts
My LHS swapped the plane out for me with their only other one they had! Such nice guys! This one bound fine hope to maiden it as soon as it stops raining here!
Old May 09, 2012, 04:00 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,273 Posts
I really feel for all those having these issues. Truely I do. I hope Horizon comes to the rescue like they usually do. You would think that the first batch would be the best of them. Obviously this is not the case.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old May 09, 2012, 05:11 PM
Brian
United States, PA, Glenolden
Joined Feb 2012
17 Posts
my elevator locked in neutral position during control-check before maidon, along with some binding issues. my lhs got 2 CCs in, 1 was my pre-order, the other was my replacement.. thank the lord the 2nd CC was still sitting on the shelf today!! control-checks on the 2nd CC seem to be spot on. look to maiden tomor weather permitting.
brian1180 is offline Find More Posts by brian1180
Old May 09, 2012, 06:00 PM
Dbl
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl View Post
Exactly the same thing happened to mine if you look at the other post on the CC. Mine did it the first time in my LHS. Replaced the servo and checked everything out while it was split in half and on the second flight the elevator servo jammed and it nosed into the ground. No longer fixable!
My basket case is on its way to HH. They originally wanted to send me a new wing. But the wing, fuselage and board all needed replacement. They will evaluate and let me know. My LHS (Hobby Zone) had sold their inventory and mine was the only store pick up so they had no option to get me in air in a quick manner. So I still have no option to get in the air quickly but I hope I end up with a workable either new or rebuilt plane. My understanding is they have no control boards in stock so I am not sure what the outcome will be or how long it will be.
Old May 09, 2012, 06:58 PM
ISP Supervisor
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl View Post
My basket case is on its way to HH. They originally wanted to send me a new wing. But the wing, fuselage and board all needed replacement. They will evaluate and let me know. My LHS (Hobby Zone) had sold their inventory and mine was the only store pick up so they had no option to get me in air in a quick manner. So I still have no option to get in the air quickly but I hope I end up with a workable either new or rebuilt plane. My understanding is they have no control boards in stock so I am not sure what the outcome will be or how long it will be.
Did they make you ship at your own expense?
Old May 09, 2012, 07:19 PM
Dbl
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Did they make you ship at your own expense?
No, the return was via the website form and they e-mail a pre-paid UPS label. Put receipt, printed form in the box and go to UPS. Mine was at UPS 15 minutes after I hung up the phone. They told me they are currently at about 8 days backlog but since it is a UMX they might get to it quicker. We shall see
Old May 12, 2012, 12:29 AM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Got my CC yesterday and have problems with the flap servo.

First it runs the flaps a few times (with interruptions), than suddenly the motor gear plopps off and made his way into the fuselage.

After opening the fuselage and inspecting everything I saw a little of the black glue (they used to glue the wing on the cabin/fuselage) on the big gear

and the small gear ( motor) was splitted.

I seperated the servo from the wing and the work began.

The small gear was damaged so bad that no repair was possible.

When running the servo motor without the gear it got hot after only a few seconds turning down the rpm on itself - fail.

I think the resistance on the first runs (because of the glue) was too much for this tiny motor,

so I decided to use a servo motor from my mCPX and soldered it on to the servo board - now everything is fine.

After opening the fuselage I saw the linkage for the elevator which made a bow inside the fuselage between the servo and the linkage support at the rearend.

Now I think I know why several CC had a failing elevator servo.

Tolerances during the assembly can cause the linkage to make a bow instead of a straight line causing too much resistance and shorten the life time of these tiny servomotors.

The ruder linkage scrubs again the elevator depending on the whole you are using for the ruder arm, causing resistance, too.

Everyone should check this on his CC to prevent damage !

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Last edited by beetyii; May 12, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:58 AM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
Hi all...

I maidened mine yesterday. I flew great for about 4 min, then I lost control and it went into a tree. Got her out ok, some scratches though...only to find out that the elevator was not responding any more. The elevator got stuck in a dive position. The travel adjust was set to 90% before the maiden flight since I read about servos getting stuck. Back at home at close inspection I now hear the servo motor of the elevator servo spin freely. Looks like the gear got shot...
Since it's a brand new plane I am not going to open her, will just send her back for repairs...

cheers
Uwe
anj4de is offline Find More Posts by anj4de
Old May 13, 2012, 06:31 AM
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Inspect every linkage to be friction free,

this is in my opinion the reason number 1 for the servos to stuck.

When I changed my aileron linkages to the most inner hole, the linkages both scrubed against the upper end of the servo and what do you think ?

Right, they got stucked here and there at different positions.

I adjusted the linkages so that they got free motion and everything went perfect.

Have a look at the aileron plastic cover, if they aren't glued in the right position with a nice bow in the middle, the servo can scrub against these from the inner side, which is difficult to see ...

EDIT 13.5.2012

Got a stucked elevator servo during my 4th batterie - hit a tree at the top...

After 20 minutes we managed to get her free, some bump and dents at the fuselage and on the wing.

Elevator got stucked several times then went on with no problems - I'm not amused...

Will bring her back to my lhs.

Rolf
Last edited by beetyii; May 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
Hi
I got my carbon cub on release day, had to wait a few days due to weather. I maidened it with no problems until evevator failed on 5th flight.
It went down into a collection of small trees! Took me a while to find it, i used the noise from the aileron servo's as a kind of plane locator lol. Only 2 small nicks in the wing but i left the crash site not realizing one of the wing struts was missing doh!
I made a real nice set out of 2mm carbon fibre rod i was going to use for my mcpx tail extention.
I think my servo rod was binding on the body just after it comes out of the plastic eyelet so i cut away a little of the polystyrene, also lubed the rod and servo cogs with light oil. I have since flown it 7 or 8 times with no problems.
I love this plane in calm conditions but nothing can beat the beast 3d for wind handling! i use miniaviation 210mah batteries along with the stock battery set my timer for 8 mins with mixed cruising and sport flying.
cheers for now...
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old May 13, 2012, 01:18 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
Some pics of the new carbon spars.
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old May 13, 2012, 07:39 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Here's what I experienced. Right out of the box two of the plastic fittings on the wings were completely loose and laying in the bottom of the box. A third had barely a spot of glue holding it on and was about to come off. One of the wing struts had come loose from the fuselage and during shipment to the US had dug some holes in the side of the fuselage. It came loose because of the wing plastic fittings which were not glued in place appropriately.

On the third flight an aileron servo stuck and the plane flew into a tree.

Doesn't seem to me that HH quality is up to par on this plane. I'll be calling them Monday.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old May 13, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, PA, Lehigh
Joined Aug 2011
11 Posts
elevator died on me on the first one
Lowenslow is offline Find More Posts by Lowenslow
Last edited by Lowenslow; May 17, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
I really can't believe all this, Horizon really has a problem with this plane, all my other UMX (Beast, Sbach, Gee Bee, Stryker) are fine - nice as it is when it flies but ...

Rolf
Old May 14, 2012, 02:18 PM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
...mine is on it's way back to the dealer, from there up north to Horizon. It's really a shame, such a good looking plane and such a brilliant concept...and now such quality issues. I hope to get a replacement soon.
I will also send a letter to Horizon Germany requesting the warranty to be kept valid even if either they or myself open up the new plane, inspect every single piece of electronics, adjust and re-glue if needed and then re-assemble. I hope they will agree...after all it's not HH Germany's fault if the Chinese produce crap.
I would again like to congratulate Horizon R&D for the design and the innovations that went into this little marvel...if they now fix their production line issues they will once again have a million seller I am sure...

In the hope of becoming a CC pilot soon again...

cheers
Uwe
anj4de is offline Find More Posts by anj4de
Old May 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
Spokane, WA
Joined Aug 2009
352 Posts
Fifth flight, elevator servo locked up, have to send the whole plane back and pay to have it shipped...very dissapointed in the whole deal.
pldawg is offline Find More Posts by pldawg
Old May 16, 2012, 03:23 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,213 Posts
For those who bought their CC from HH shouldn't have to pay for RETURN broken planes HH should be nice to have them shipped back at their expense. You already paid $169 for it now how much is it costing you? Then they will determine if it's a fault of theirs or yours hopefully they will give you a new one and simply not repair the broken part. That's why I buy from the LHS and they can get it replaced form me at no extra cost. Lesson learn here right! I would not pre order from HH as you pay the same price at the LHS(not unless you live in the middle of no where and that online is the only way) Anyway why give HH the whole price and profit whne they get them cheap and not let a LHS stay in business
Old May 17, 2012, 12:09 AM
keep on spinning!
Fort Lauderdale,Florida USA
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
cc V 2.0?

Perhaps they will recall and release a CC 2.0 version with proper repairs in place much like Blade mcpx?
N212LA is offline Find More Posts by N212LA
Old May 17, 2012, 12:34 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,823 Posts
Wow, hard to believe that HH would botch another release...and I am an HH fan!
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old May 17, 2012, 07:59 AM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
So is there general agreement that this isn't an electronic issue; but more a physical one wherein the gearing on the servos (mostly elevators it seems) is either gummed up at the factory from sloppy QC, -or- the servo is put under un-due load due to jamming on the control cable?

The latter seems most feasible, as the issue manifests itself after a few flights for most people, enough time for the accelerated wear to catch up with the already heavily loaded servo.

I ask because I'd rather that than bad electronics (which we can't fix/pre-emptively correct for).

I Haven't maidened mine yet, but now I'm scared to
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old May 17, 2012, 10:24 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,815 Posts
Over 20 hours of flight-time on my CC & the servos are fine.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
So is there general agreement that this isn't an electronic issue; but more a physical one wherein the gearing on the servos (mostly elevators it seems) is either gummed up at the factory from sloppy QC, -or- the servo is put under un-due load due to jamming on the control cable?

The latter seems most feasible, as the issue manifests itself after a few flights for most people, enough time for the accelerated wear to catch up with the already heavily loaded servo.

I ask because I'd rather that than bad electronics (which we can't fix/pre-emptively correct for).

I Haven't maidened mine yet, but now I'm scared to
Mine did not appear to be a physical hangup - I just cleaned where the contacts are made in bottom of screw drive and seems to be cured so far. Probably only 15-20 flights, but so far so great. That seems to be the most common denominator thus far. Don't think I remember anyone saying that they cleaned the contact strip area and had a reoccurrance.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 17, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,972 Posts
Joel - don't remember you saying, did you clean yours first or just use right out of the box. No big deal, just curious - I know that I only worked on the one that was hanging and did not bother the rest of them. I guess I'm sort of a don't fix it if it ain't broke guy.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 17, 2012, 05:06 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Joel - don't remember you saying, did you clean yours first or just use right out of the box. No big deal, just curious - I know that I only worked on the one that was hanging and did not bother the rest of them. I guess I'm sort of a don't fix it if it ain't broke guy.
Bobly,

I didn't clean them.

I set ATV on the servo channels to +/- 98% & cycled the servos a bunch of times on the ground before the maiden. They worked as I expected them to. Like you, I saw no reason to fix what wasn't broken. BTW - the mCP X is the only UM on which I've cleaned the servos (so far). The servos tend to get jittery every so often, and the bird no longer holds altitude. A shot of DeoxIT in each servo solves the problem for another few hundred flights or so. Hence, why servo cleaning is a part of my standard PM routine on that aircraft. None of my other UMs have shown any signs that the servos need cleaning.

I've owned 23 UM aircraft, with a total of 64 UM servos. Of those, 15 are AS3X servos, 12 of which are fixed-wing. I have been flying these UMs since the original UM Sukhoi was first released. In many thousands of flights, I have had two servo failures. Elevator on one V1 Beast locked-up after about 50 flights, and an aileron servo went nuts during the maiden on another V1 Beast. That's it. My mSR has over 1000 flights in the original servos. I have a couple V1 Beasts with well over 500 flights on the original servos. The original servos in my mCP X are still going strong after nearly 1000 flights. One of my B3Ds is over the 500 flight mark. The servos are fine - and I fly that one on 3s, so AS3X is definitely giving them a workout.

I still don't see anything new, here. The CC uses the same tail servos as the B3D & Gee Bee. Read the first 20 pages or so of those threads right after the release & you'll see a quite a few reports of servo problems. Same thing in the V1 beast & Sbach threads. The CC appeals to a far broader audience than the Beast, Gee Bee, or Sbach. Hence, the increased number of servo-failure reports. I'm thinking that the percentages are about the same with all of the above planes.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; May 17, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,953 Posts
TP does it matter which DeoxIT?
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv