SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Jun 2010
293 Posts
Discussion
Aqua Cat

I'm starting to glue up a Aqua Cat from Model Aero. A very nice laser cut and it looks good.

The directions however are a bit confusing. What glue is best? for strength and water use I prefer Epoxy. Any problem with that on Depron? Weight may be a down side but its so light I see no problem here.

Any other tips on this model that might help?
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 10:10 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,773 Posts
Don't remember what i used...as for adhesive....but its a cool bird...I did put a landers ducted outfit on mine...takes off Grass great.....Haven't tried water....can't git near water or I end up with a Fishin rod in hand....Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Are you happy with the flight performance of the Aqua Cat? Flight reports?
NWflyboy is offline Find More Posts by NWflyboy
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:00 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,773 Posts
Yep...Flies like a champ...I haven't tried water but off smooth grass its great...I run 4 cell on mine...its a Landers Ducted fan setup...

Billy
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Here's a nice video of the Aqua Cat. It's a great flyer.

The EDF version is obviously a much heavier bird than the prop version but still flies well.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Aquacat at the Lake (2 min 7 sec)

And the Aqua Jet

Model Aero Aqua Jet EDF Seaplane (2 min 47 sec)
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:32 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,758 Posts
Hi:

That's my AquaCat in the video. The model is a wonderful flyer. It's subtly different from the Polaris (my other favorite water model) in that it is better at large smooth looping and rolling maneuvers but just slightly less forgiving at very low speeds and high angles of attack. As you can see in the videos, it has the power for sustained vertical climbs but flies nicely at part throttle. I use an 1800 25C battery by preference but it also will carry 2200 25C. With the heavier batteries the key thing is to get the balance right (on the step) and not too far forward.

I use epoxy and foamsafe CA mostly.

By the way. One thing to notice in the video, especially in the final shot, is the vent arrangement. It consists of two half plastic spoons, one as an intake, the other as an exit. This is just the right amount of cooling. On my first Polaris I ran without vents and it was OK for 5-6 minutes of flying, but I had to open up both hatches and let everything cool between flights. I now use either vents of an external heatsink on all of them. Never any problem with water in the vents since these models stay dry on top except in a bad crash (when it's irrelevant!).

If you want lots of info on construction, motors, props, etc. try the Polaris thread in the Foamies - scratchbuilt forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465

More video:
Aquacat 2011-07-15 (2 min 31 sec)
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Dec 24, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:46 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBillyFly View Post
Yep...Flies like a champ...I haven't tried water but off smooth grass its great...I run 4 cell on mine...its a Landers Ducted fan setup...

Billy
You're referring to the AquaJet, rather than the AquaCat, from which it's derived. Both fly very well indeed, but they are quite bit different.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:17 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
You're referring to the AquaJet, rather than the AquaCat, from which it's derived. Both fly very well indeed, but they are quite bit different.
Whups....Yep your right....I forgot...My Buddy has the outrunner version...Uh Had one..he let a friend try it at the lake...It didn't make it...

Sorry I forgot...But I love mine...They do fly very Nice...No Bad habits at all....I been wantin to try mine off water....but when I git close to water I gotta Fish

Billy
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:13 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,745 Posts
Flying a newly built Aqua Cat today! Sweet ship! If all goes as planned, it should be in an upcoming issue of FlyRC magazine.

Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best in the West 2014