HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 04:14 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
706 Posts
Discussion
Can sunlight blister foam airplanes ?

In another thread I read about someone's black foam airplane developing "alligator skin" from being in the sun.

I have known that hot air can cause foam to blister up but never really thought about direct sunlight doing the same thing. I'm wondering if black painted foam is the only type to really worry about, or can this happen to any foam airplane ?
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 04:37 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,007 Posts
Black is the best heat absorber. If the plane was on the dashboard in the direct sunlight in a closed car in the south on a summer day, the temp could be near 180-190F which would cause the alligator skin. I've measured that temp doing a test on the possibilitiy of a lipo igniting in a car if left on the dash.
White or other light colors should not be affected as they won't get as hot especially if not in the direct sunlight.

This applies to EPP and EPO foams. EPS is not affected that way.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 08, 2012, 06:29 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
706 Posts
Thanks for the comment.

In this particular case, I believe the plane was just out in the open in direct sunlight. If there is not much breeze I suppose the black surface could get hot enough to cause problems. I'll probably start carrying a towel with me when I fly my favorite foamy with black areas just in case.
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
Old May 08, 2012, 07:29 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Good idea! "Gator" skin does apperar when foam planes are sitting in the sun!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy