HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Help!
I have a Wookong issue with my DX8 and AR8000, not enough channels for everything

I just got my WKM and my second F550 yesterday and wanting to see if there's any solution to my problem with not enough 3 position switches.

On my DX8 I have 3 AUX channels, two 3 position switches and a dial.
I have AUX3 dial connected to the X3 on my MC to control my gains.
X1 is for the PMU
and X2 on the MC is on X2 on the TX for OFF/ Course Lock/ Home Lock
I have AUX1 (3 position switch) on the TX connected to control the shutter and video for my Sony Nex5n.

I have U channel (Manual/ATTI/GPS ATTI) on my gear switch and was only trying to use ATTI and GPS ATTI since I have no interest to fly in Manual.
The manual states that if you use it on a 2 position switch, I should be able to use ATTI and GPS ATTI.

The problem I'm having is I can't get one of the end points to go from manual to ATTI, the slider will only to to the Fail Safe and not make it to ATTI.

Is there any solutions, or do I need to put the camera cable on a 2 position switch and only have video or photo control.

The only other 3 position switch I have is the Flight Mode switch. Is there a way to possibly use that instead of the gear switch. Since there's a Gear input and not a F Mode input on the AR8000 I don't know if there's anything I can do.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 04:16 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,041 Posts
Ken - I am running the DX8 with my Wookong and NEX5N with no problems - I am not finding I need to adjust my gains - set it and forget it - So I have camera tilt on Aux 3 GPS/ATTI?MAN on Aux2 and camera video on Aux 1 - Gear is set to failsafe

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old May 08, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Ok,
Thanks Mike,
So you have AUX2 on the U channel.

So maybe you're not using the IOI feature and that's how you can operate everything ?
Old May 08, 2012, 10:00 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,041 Posts
Yes I am using AUX 2 on the U channel - since it is 3 position switch - what is the IOI feature? I dont like messing with gains - I find that if properly tuned in the beginning it will not need adjustments - Some others may argue but I like the KISS method
Old May 08, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Mike,
Are you sure you're not talking about the NAZA ?
I solved one of my problems but can't fix another.
See below the post I made in the Wookong thread

Oh Ya, the IOI is is in step 4 of the Autopilot tab. It's Intelligent Orientation Control. Options are OFF/ Course Lock/ Home Lock. I figured that since you said you can use your Sony on an AUX channel then you must have the IOI inhibited.

Ok, one more WKM question.
I have the U channel on the gear switch since the other two 3 position switches on my DX8 are used my the IOI for OFF/Course Lock/Home Lock and the other three position switch for my GentLed for my camera.

I don't care about Manual Mode so the U channel being on my 2 position switch is fine.
With the endpoints I wasn't able to get position to ATTI.
I adjusted the sub trims then went back to the endpoints and now the slider will go from GPS to ATTI on my gear switch.
What I can't get to operate is the Failsafe, My DX8 was already set up to 10% throttle from my last F550/NAZA.
When I turn the TX off the slider goes to the middle which is ATTI mode.
How do I get the pointer to go BLUE under Fail Safe ?
Old May 08, 2012, 10:35 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
You can set any switch to any channel on the dx8

You have:
Flight mode (3 position)
Gyro (3 position)
Aux 2 (3 position)

Then (2 position)
Gear
Mix

With knob left over

Just assign them to what you want.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 09, 2012, 05:31 AM
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
how are you guys controlling you nex from your rc transmitters?
slidins15 is offline Find More Posts by slidins15
Old May 09, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Apr 2012
527 Posts
My question also, how are you controlling the nex shutter thru the radio. Please describe the set up in detail, and what is needed.
Jeffem62 is offline Find More Posts by Jeffem62
Old May 09, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
On my cell so I dont have a link.
Just google GentLed, its only $35.
Is infra red bulb on a wire that plugs into a free 3 position switch on your radio.
Middle is off, flick the switch up or down and it takes photos, flick it the other way and it controls video.
Very awesome little gadget.
Old May 09, 2012, 09:59 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,041 Posts
Ken - I am talking about the Wookong-m - I do not use the course lock or home lock while using the camera shutter video controls via my gentled live I find them useless and more confusing to deal wiith while trying to frame the shot - I would recommend reading the DX8 failsafe procedure in the manual and rebinding your radio using these failsafe settings. Also make sure your throttle is in the middle blue area as well when you go into failsafe settings. Adidas is correct that you can program any switch on your radio - Thanks Adidas!

Also Ken you many want to think about setting up to be able to switch to manual mode I have found it needed in higher wind situations to get the copter back to where you want it

I do have my Ele DR switch and Ail Dr switch setup to control forward flight and piros -
Mike

Gentled link 0- http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled/liveview.htm
Last edited by cdi3d; May 09, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 10:42 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,439 Posts
Holger Buss of Mikrokopter demonstrated his upcoming camera control device in his latest "Zoom" video where he can also control the camera zoom remotely. Supposedly this device will work for all Sony cameras/camcorders, including NEX series. But it's unclear if this is a firmware for the Mikrokopter FC, or an actual widget.

I really wish the WKM has more channels available. When they made it compatible with Futaba S-BUS, they should have known that these S-BUS RX can handle up to 18 channels. With basic flight modes and camera gimbal controls taking up all 7 channels, there are no channels to control gains and other neat stuff like camera pan, retracts, LED controls, etc.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old May 09, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
You can set any switch to any channel on the dx8

You have:
Flight mode (3 position)
Gyro (3 position)
Aux 2 (3 position)

Then (2 position)
Gear
Mix

With knob left over

Just assign them to what you want.
I got it all figured out. I cannot activate the F-Mode switch, maybe it has to be in heli mode.
So I have everything operating including the fail safe when TX is turned off.
I have U on my gear switch and only have ATTI and GPS ATTI which I'm ok with.
Then AUX1 for the Sony, and AUX2 for OFF/Course Lock/Home Lock
AUX3 for gains.
So all is good now.
I wish I could have the F-Mode on U then I could have manual too but I tried for a long tome to activate it but it will not so I'm guessing it's only available in heli mode.
I could start all over in heli mode but I'm good for now.
Old May 09, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
Ken - I am talking about the Wookong-m - I do not use the course lock or home lock while using the camera shutter video controls via my gentled live I find them useless and more confusing to deal wiith while trying to frame the shot - I would recommend reading the DX8 failsafe procedure in the manual and rebinding your radio using these failsafe settings. Also make sure your throttle is in the middle blue area as well when you go into failsafe settings. Adidas is correct that you can program any switch on your radio - Thanks Adidas!

Also Ken you many want to think about setting up to be able to switch to manual mode I have found it needed in higher wind situations to get the copter back to where you want it

I do have my Ele DR switch and Ail Dr switch setup to control forward flight and piros -
Mike

Gentled link 0- http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled/liveview.htm
Thanks for the assistance, I read the manual about F-Mode setup but it's in inhibit and when highlighted nothing happens when I turn the roller which made me think it only works in heli mode.

I've flown in pretty heavy winds and took off fine in ATTI mode so I'm good there. I tried taking off only one time in Manual and it was too squirrly and I have some expo.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:02 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
I got it all figured out. I cannot activate the F-Mode switch, maybe it has to be in heli mode.
So I have everything operating including the fail safe when TX is turned off.
I have U on my gear switch and only have ATTI and GPS ATTI which I'm ok with.
Then AUX1 for the Sony, and AUX2 for OFF/Course Lock/Home Lock
AUX3 for gains.
So all is good now.
I wish I could have the F-Mode on U then I could have manual too but I tried for a long tome to activate it but it will not so I'm guessing it's only available in heli mode.
I could start all over in heli mode but I'm good for now.
My f-mode works fine in plane mode. You just need to assign that switch in settings on the TX. No need to use heli
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old May 10, 2012, 08:39 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,041 Posts
Ken - In order to get your fmode switch to work you need to inh your gear channel (or whatever channel you want to use it for) then set the fmode switch to replace the gear switch - Easy - Hold down the selector wheel - turn tx on - scroll down to switch select - and set it

Mike