Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 07, 2012, 08:49 PM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
328 Posts
Build Log
Bf 109-H1

Greetings All,

Hot on the heels of success, I begin again!

I'm so pleased at how the N1K1 turned out;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1530553
I'm ready to move to the next bird on the list. The list, mind you, is in a constant state of flux as far as which one to do next. I've decided on the Bf 109-H1 as it should be a relatively easy conversion to do. That part appeals since the George was quite an extensive overhaul. I've also always had a fondness for those high altitude birds with their long wings and peculiar grace. The H is also attractive because of the wide stance gear that will make the "109 roll out" far easier to deal with.
Information on this bird is inconsistent at best, so I'm taking the "best and leaving the rest" so to speak. After cross-referencing various 3-views, I'm starting with this posted view.

I'm starting with a beat-up Parkzone 109 G. I stripped off the bits and decals. The tail was busted so I sliced off the rudder since I'll be doing a new fin/rudder anyway.
The wing got its gear wells ground out, radiators sliced off and a dihedral guide made before I slice the wing to pieces! I plan on cutting the wing sections free from the center section, then adding constant chord segments at each wing root.
I chucked the wheels in the drill and used 120 grit sandpaper to tin and round them a bit as the Parkzone tires are just a bit too... I finished them with 220 grit. They should nestle nicely in that wing. Yeah, I'm going to use the e-flite 85 degree retracts again as they worked so well on the George.

That's it for starters. Stay tuned as I keep rolling on this one...

Cheers,

Sperling
Sperling234 is offline Find More Posts by Sperling234
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 12:19 AM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
328 Posts
Strong wing...

Greetings,

The surgery really begins!

I sliced the wing and did my best to keep the cuts vertical so my additions would blend nicely.
The real hero of this extended wing is the 3/4" square box spar I made from 1/16th ply. At first I thought I would build my extended sections and add them with reinforcement. Now I see the wisdom in building up the strength with the spar and cf, then building the wing around it. That will of course, include flaps.

An interesting thing about this design is how the standard 109 wing sections are mounted slightly "bent back". That is, the width of the constant chord extension at the leading edge is a bit more than at the trailing edge. Of course, there are conflicting drawings on that part too. I think it's an interesting feature so I decided to include it. We'll see if it flies!

Stay tuned!

Sperling
Old May 10, 2012, 04:19 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,418 Posts
I'm here again.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old May 10, 2012, 05:09 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Good Stuff!

TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old May 10, 2012, 05:48 PM
Isaiah 40:31
West Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2000
689 Posts
I'm on too!

What are u using for the new main spar?

Sorry if u already mentioned it-on my mobile. Difficult to are everything.
Thanx
rc
rc capo is online now Find More Posts by rc capo
Old May 10, 2012, 10:10 PM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
328 Posts
Onward.

So I attached the outer wing panels to the spar and the added a cf tube across the front. I also added 2 smaller cf tubes in the leading edge of the wing in front of the gear wells. Those tubes were inserted about 1/8th of an inch into the central tube and seated with epoxy. I learned on the George that the gear opening substantially weakens the wing so I want to go a bit extra on this, especially with the long wing.
I also reinforced the vertical surface just behind the gear mount plate. Again, the stiffness is useful with the gear and wells there.
The wing is a tad heavy, almost 8 oz. and that's without servos and landing gear. I'll like the strength though, I'm sure.

I'm now on to the ailerons and flaps. I'll be mounting those e-flites as soon as they arrive in the mail...

A question; Does anyone know how much washout is in the pz 109 wing? As I've been looking at it, there seems to be very little. Are my aging eyes playing tricks on me? I'll appreciate any astute obsevations.

Cheers,

Sperling
Old May 10, 2012, 10:45 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,418 Posts
How do you make your plans? Projector or computer?
Old May 11, 2012, 04:27 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
And how do you paint crosses? Are you going to use decals or something?
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old May 11, 2012, 12:24 PM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
328 Posts
Plans and Markings.

I make the plans by taking either a print from an internet image or a copy from one of my reference books and then taking it to Kinko's and enlarging it with a large format copier. I figure out the size I want then blow it up however many times beyond the image I have in hand. It's easy and worth the price, about 20 bucks for all of the views.
For markings, I like to paint if it's simple enough. I think painted markings look better. Certain planes, Like modern jets are a bit too intricate for painted lettering. For WWII though, particularly Luftwaffe and Japanese, the markings are pretty simple and lend well to masking and painting.
The outstanding Pat Lynch aka Maltone has a nice description of how he does it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=157
I do basically the same thing. And I will on this plane as well.

As we roll on,

Sperling
Old May 11, 2012, 10:00 PM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
328 Posts
Today I was working on sorting out the flaps. That's a bit of a tricky bugger 'cuz of the standard flap working with the split radiator flap. I think I'm going to have only the lower portion of the split radiator flap move as it seems like that was it's usual operation when the engine was up to temp. At least that's how I read it on a good web page...
But then, the e-flites arrived! I naturally shifted to the workings of the retracts. You can see in the shots that so far, I haven't gotten the retract and strut to sit low enough in the wing. My first remedy was to cut out the remaining foam in the bottom of the wheel well and simply put a piece of 1/64 ply on the top of the wing to cover the hole. The whole business gets depron cladding anyway.
Speaking of cladding, I decided to thin the wing just a touch so it doesn't get too porky when I skin it. I took care of this by using 60 grit paper on an orbital sander and lowering the wing surface to the level of the panel line detail. Since those lines are fairly heavy, it went down just 'bout 1mm.

So I'm going to keep working on that wing to get it there. That's the only real re-engineering on this model. The rest is basically cosmetic, at least that's what I keep telling myself...

More Soon,

Sperling
Old May 11, 2012, 11:23 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,418 Posts
In case your not aware of it. The eflites are a little too deep for this wing. There are sets available from Peter at PW-rc that are really low profile. You wouldn't have had to cut the wing out completely. But since you already have I'll guess I'll just sit back and watch you do that voodoo that you do so well.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:11 PM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
328 Posts
Landing Gear Mania!

I'm sure you true 109ers already know, getting those landing gear to sit right is a real... Let's just say it takes some patience.
But it's well worth it when what you get is THIS! The bird on its legs lookin' good! I got them to nest nice as well. Interestingly, one of my e-flites seems to slow down a bit at one part of the cycle. The result is staggered opening and closing gear. It looks super cool. I just hope that it doesn't indicate a malfunctioning gear.

Quitcher, I have been looking at PW-RC stuff for a while and I may use it eventually. One thing I like about their stuff is that they don't have the curly-que at the top of the strut. Since all of my landings are perfect , do I really need that curler safety? Anyway, they don't have any that open to 85 degrees. The e-flites do and I want that for the 109 stance.

I have a bit of adjusting to do on the gear but they are there. Now I can move on to those flaps...

Enjoy,

Sperling
Old May 12, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
335 Posts
S234 YOU'RE AWESOME!!

Loving this thread as you are maintaining 'scale' AND getting around the stock PZ 109 ground handling issues. I did the retract mod but corrupted the scale gear geometry of the 109 in an attempt to do the same. it worked gangbusters but you are going to have one solid plane for rolling TO's and landing roll outs and a unique piece to boot!

BTW for future ref. Philip's 'Minature' size servoless retracts are as Quitcher' stated very low profile, and quite good and sound from an engineering standpoint.............it's what I used on my mod as well as the E-Flite 10-15 size stock gear struts. They fit the trunnions of Philip's retracts perfectly..............

Also, I noted you opted to use the existing fixed gear plate as I had, shhhhhmart move! It's solid. And with the 'coiled' strut? A bullet proof system!

Following this thread with great enthusiasm!!

Doug
Demsey is offline Find More Posts by Demsey
Old May 14, 2012, 10:24 PM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
328 Posts
Making more work for myself...

Greetings all,

So I'm sorting out these flaps and well, I just can't leave well enough alone. Actually, I use each model as a bench to keep honing my skills.
I tend to not like the big gap that's left in the bottoms of wings where ailerons and flaps are. This feature is of course, predominant on park flyer type airplanes. I get it. I get why they do it. I'm just looking to make flaps and ailerons less visible. Eventually my aileron rods will be concealed as well... on another model!
I did decide to make the flaps a bit more scale. So yes, more work but worth it. I will also hide the servo and the control rods the drive the flaps in the wing. Now I will do up that split radiator flap I mentioned a couple of posts ago.

Demsey; thanks for the enthusiasm and the pics of your mods. Great job! I of course noticed how you slimmed down the tires too. Well worth the work, right? Especially with the improved handling. I don't think PW-RC has the "miniature" retracts at this time. Maybe I'm missing it on the site. As I said though, I am looking at his stuff with great interest.

I do have a busy rest of the week so progress will be slow if any. Don't fret though all. I do plan on having this thing in the air in a couple of weeks. I'll try and keep that claim!

Cheers,

Sperling
Old May 15, 2012, 03:06 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Thanks for that info, but every tape I've used peels the paint off of foam and does more damage than good. I'm going to try rattle can and clear vinyl next time. Then I'll clean up the edges of overspray by hand. It'll take way more effort than it should.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister