SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2012, 06:23 PM
Co. Wexford, Ireland
Joined Oct 2006
37 Posts
Discussion
Advice needed for newbie to multirotors and fpv

I was a regular on here about four years ago. I bought the board and smt components to build a flight controller and some esc's and that was about it. Still have them somewhere.

I am determined to get into aerial video now and started reading here again. Things have moved on so much in four years! I would like to make a decision and buy something soon, so I am asking for some advice. If I were to read everything I want to on here, it will take forever.

I don't have a problem with soldering and and good with my hands in general, but the thought of an ARF solution is comforting. I like the Witespy as it seems to have a strong following and the guys are well liked. Is this a good starting point? Will it lift a decent camera like the Sony NEX5?

Is a hex or octo rotor a better plan to allow for failure of a motor without losing the rig? They also seem to lift more.

I would like to keep the cost down to under 900 including everything but the camera. (I don't think my radio will do the job and I don't have batteries and charger)

I am in Ireland, so it might be easier to buy from Europe but not a deal breaker either.

I am tempted to buy used from someone on here but most of you guys are US based and don't like to ship internationally.

Thanks for any replies.
broadband155 is offline Find More Posts by broadband155
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 08:34 AM
Co. Wexford, Ireland
Joined Oct 2006
37 Posts
Having read some more, I am thinking about either RC-Drones or Witespy. Any other obvious ones for a beginner?
Old May 11, 2012, 08:38 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadband155 View Post
Having read some more, I am thinking about either RC-Drones or Witespy. Any other obvious ones for a beginner?
DJI F450 quad and F550 hex with Naza controller, both very simple to build and setup and there is a large aftermarket developing for both. There are a number of places to buy them in the UK and the pricing is fairly consistant worldwide, so doesn't really matter where you buy it from other than customer service is easier from a local shop.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old May 11, 2012, 08:58 AM
Co. Wexford, Ireland
Joined Oct 2006
37 Posts
Thanks for that. Fair point. It will be easier to buy from UK. Is the Naza controller good for aerial video? I thought I read somewhere that if I add a gimbal, the outputs from the Naza aren't the best.