HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 04:50 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2004
193 Posts
Discussion
Who can laser cut wing ribs ?

I want to use the NACA 23012 on the Trittle Pitts 14 . Who cuts ribs , is it expensive ?
4stroker is offline Find More Posts by 4stroker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 06:57 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,639 Posts
You'll either need to prepare a CAD file of exactly what you want, or be prepared to pay someone (the cutter) to do it for you. Don't forget that every different rib has to be plotted and then nested onto a wood size panel. That alone can take several hours, depending on how many different ribs there are. The last time I got any done for me they charged about 40 ($60) an hour. Frightening, isn't it?

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old May 07, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Mar 2006
490 Posts
It's so easy to make your own, just as good as laser cut. For that kind of money, it's worth learning how to do.
spog is offline Find More Posts by spog
Old May 07, 2012, 10:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spog View Post
It's so easy to make your own, just as good as laser cut. For that kind of money, it's worth learning how to do.
Can you point me to this information ?
4stroker is offline Find More Posts by 4stroker
Old May 08, 2012, 12:15 AM
Troy Bowman
United States, UT, Woods Cross
Joined Sep 2011
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spog View Post
Wait, you mean with a hobby knife, right?
arcarius is offline Find More Posts by arcarius
Old May 08, 2012, 12:31 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,630 Posts
If you can't do the CAD work yourself it is obscenely expensive. When I can find time for it I charge $50/hr. But, I rarely have time for it.

We have tried to find a regular to do CAD work, but, they either work for peanuts and get burned out, or, they charge a reasonable fee and no one wants to pay that much.

For the Pitts you should consider cutting your own. Most of the ribs will have the same outline with just a couple of variations. Make a ply template and get/make some hole punches (for servo leads and such).

The method I use is to bandsaw/jigsaw out a stack of ribs (just the outline). Then use the template. Cut notches with a knife (or on the bandsaw). Punch holes where needed.

You can also use two templates, clamp the stack of ribs between them and sand down to final dimensions. Then use a template for notches/holes.

charlie

PS yes, it is even easier for me to cut ribs sometimes rather than designing it on CAD and making the cut file. The difficult part is to convince Vicki to cut them for me on the laser
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 08, 2012, 04:49 AM
Joined Mar 2006
490 Posts
I print out the rib on an inkjet printer. I glue two pieces of balsa together with a couple dabs of CA at the center of where the rib lightening holes will be, then I CA the pattern onto the ribs. Rough cut with a saw, finish off the edges to the pattern line on a bench sander. Then when you cut out the lightening holes with a scroll or zip saw, the ribs will separate from each other. I have made 8 ribs at once with 1/16" balsa, just make sure that you have a 90 degree angle on the sander's base. A sander does a very nice job and it's easy to get perfectly cut ribs.
spog is offline Find More Posts by spog
Last edited by spog; May 08, 2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old May 08, 2012, 09:21 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
buy a band saw and make a template.
Santoneski is offline Find More Posts by Santoneski
Old May 08, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Tack glue your rib stock together, I use purple Elmers stick glue, make a copy of your rib. Glue the rib copy to your stack of rib stock.

I then use my table top disk sander to sand down just to the paper template, ribs come out smooth and darned near perfect. Cut spar notches with band-saw or other very fine toothed saw.

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge