Radio Req: 3 channel, 2 micro servos.

Nice ad in MA.
MrMootsie is offline Find More Posts by MrMootsie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2003, 09:18 AM
near Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Joined Sep 2003
170 Posts
Saw it. Looks nice. I have the larger electric Rascal and it flys really well. Was also hoping for some flying reports on this little guy.
Airborne82nd is offline Find More Posts by Airborne82nd
Old Oct 31, 2003, 09:26 AM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
I wish that they would do an aileron version in this size. Would add a tad more weight, but to me it would be worth it. Either way I have one on my Christmas list...
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 10:49 AM
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,567 Posts
It is a nice looking model. I have the S400 one as well.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 11:19 AM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Smaller wingspan and wing area than the Mountain Models Cessna 180, but same or higher weight. I wonder how well it flies. Must need more speed than the MM 180, but may handle the wind better.

Is there a link to a web site with data on the Sig plane?
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Oct 31, 2003, 02:20 PM
San Pedro, CA
Joined Mar 2002
660 Posts
Here it is directly from the Sig Mfg. site:

SIG Li'l Rascal ARF

Wingspan: 29.75in
Wing Area: 134in2
Length: 20.5in
Flying Weight: 8.5 - 9.5oz
Motor: Speed 180 (included)
Gearbox: 2.9:1 (included)
Battery Req: 7 cell, 300 mah NiMH battery pack
Radio Req: 3 channel, 2 micro servos.

Got a minute? Then let's go fly! SIG's new Li'l Rascal ARF takes park flying to a whole new ballpark. With a super small 29-3/4" wing and 180 geared electric motor, the Li'l' Rascal is the perfect friend to take along when you have just a minute or two to squeeze in your favorite pastime.
Lunchtime, coffee break, early morning fly time. All suddenly have become opportunities to take wing and soar. The Li'l Rascal ARF builds fast; in as little as 2-3 hours from box to field. With a one-piece pre-assembled wing, factory installed motor/gearbox and a low parts count, you'll be amazed at how such a great model can go together so fast. The Li'l Rascal ARF is no toy airplane however. The light, tough all balsa/plywood construction is completely hand assembled, then covered with genuine Oracover® covering material in that classic Rascal motif. Standard micro radio electronics are needed, as is a 7 cell, 300mAh NiMH battery pack.
Flying the Li'l Rascal ARF is uncommonly great for airplanes of this size. Fly it in typical small areas, even in relatively high winds. Full aerobatic maneuvers are possible with typical rudder/elevator movements. Plus, she's extremely stable and easy to fly. In fact, you'll probably run out of lunchtime before the Li'l Rascal ARF comes back to earth. Run times of ten minutes or longer are typical with good throttle management.

Take a break from the ordinary. Make lunchtime fly time tomorrow.
locomoto is offline Find More Posts by locomoto
Old Oct 31, 2003, 02:30 PM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Toledo, OH
Joined Apr 2002
994 Posts
I was really excited about this one, until I saw the price. ouch!

SIGRC88ARFB SIG LIL RASCAL ARF-BLUE/WHITE
EACH $153.99 $109.99

Ouch! the MM 180 looks better.
ArcherAce is offline Find More Posts by ArcherAce
Old Oct 31, 2003, 03:30 PM
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,567 Posts
not too bad....People are paying more than that for the Flubber/Jumping Jack. Granted, different style airplane, but roughly the same size.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 03:34 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
It appears to be the same 180 drive Wattage is using on the Baby Bee and the Odessy. It seems to work for the BB, but the Odessy is too heavy for it. It should be fine for this one. It's going to be a bunch faster than the MM C-180. It's heavier, bigger motor, and less wing...

I wish they had a laser cut kit... Adding ailerons during the build would be a cinch.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Oct 31, 2003, 04:06 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Must be the fancy wheel pants that makes it so pricey. I would definitely go with the MM C-180 over the Sig due to the price. Granted, it is ARF, but building is half the fun.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Oct 31, 2003, 04:43 PM
Holy Li-po Power Batman!
Wadsworth, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
156 Posts
Too much dough for a speed 180
757ETOPS is offline Find More Posts by 757ETOPS
Old Oct 31, 2003, 07:07 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
I've always loved the looks of the Rascal, and have a set of drawings - sort of - for the original Lil Rascal. $100+ for a model this size - even an ARF with a motor - is a tad steep. I second the call for a laser cut kit.

Tony Turley
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Dec 20, 2003, 01:24 PM
Southern MA. USA
Joined Jan 2003
623 Posts
I for one think the price is resonable, when you consider that foamies of that size run from $45.00 ~ $65.00 on average, the you have to glue them together and finish assembling them, a built up balsa and covered plane for $110.00 bucks is cheap.
Moe M. is offline Find More Posts by Moe M.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 01:50 PM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
293 Posts
I have the Rascal C (Speed 400 version) and the construction/covering and ease of assembly is the best I've ever seen. I wouldn't hesistate to pay $100+ for the Li'l Rascal, especially if it includes the motor and battery.

Anyone with enough ARF experience will know how important build quality is.

Mark
anixs is offline Find More Posts by anixs
Old Dec 20, 2003, 02:17 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Thanks for the report on the Rascal C, Mark. I hope the Li'l Rascal ARF is just as good.

I've had a backorder for the Li'l Rascal with Tower Hobbies for several weeks. An email inquiry to Sig on the status of the Li'l Rascal (which was promptly answered by Sig!) revealed that Sig has shipped out the Li'l Rascal to its distributors. Checking the Tower website earlier this week revealed that Tower has received the Li'l Rascal and it is now in stock. However, my backorder seemed to be going nowhere after several website check-backs this week. The status was always "Invoiced, Processing in Warehouse," for 3 days. Hmmmm... either Tower is really backlogged with holiday orders or they're having one heck of a Christmas party in the warehouse. All this, even with 2 Day FedEx shipping requested with the backorder. After a less than satisfactory e-mail response to an inquiry to Tower, I gave them a call to see what the hold-up was. I was finally told "they were waiting to see if I still wanted the Li'l Rascal since it had been on backorder." I'm not sure how long they were planning to wait. Good thing I called. I confirmed that yes, duh, I still wanted the order and the Tower Rep. assured me the Li'l Rascal should be shipped out Monday for arrival on Dec. 24th. Soooooo... here's to hoping I'll be getting the Li'l Rascal in time for getting it flight ready over the Christmas break.

Sorry for the long report on Tower Hobbies but I've usually had good experiences with ordering from them, although I prefer ordering from the smaller outfits that are here on the EZone, whenever possible.

Dave
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Last edited by DaveG; Dec 20, 2003 at 02:24 PM.